Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lucinda Ruh's book, "Frozen Teardrop"

Lucinda Ruh has written a book, "Frozen Teardrop," about her life and skating experiences. It came out this month. My copy arrived yesterday and I am looking forward to reading it and seeing what she has to say, in her own words.

Anyone read it yet? Comments? Reviews?

vCash
    Sounds interesting -- maybe she will spill some secrets about her fabulous pancake spin.

I heard she had a book coming out, but I don't have a copy. I wonder re the title. Maybe you could let us know your thoughts when you've finished reading it, and explain the title.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I just wrote a review on my website tonight. She sent me an advance copy in preparation for my podcast interview. I've been getting a lot of books sent to me for review since I've been doing the skatecasts, and I thought it was about time I started reviewing them, so I started with hers.

In short: I highly recommend it. It's a shocking book in many ways.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Excellent book review, manleywoman. Your writing is as excellent as your podcasts.

Regarding the Japanese training system, I've heard from several inside sources, that a well known champion was often subjected to 12 hour training days on the ice, and not allowed to leave until she'd done what was asked of her. Refusal meant that same skater was sometimes hit.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    ^ I know, ugh. The conditions she described in Japan (and living conditions in China) are crazy. Makes our US skaters look like wimps because of the luxuries we have.

(And thanks for the compliment )

vCash
    ^ Wasn't Midori Ito hit after performing an amazing LP at Junior Worlds (I think in 1982?)by Yamada?

vCash
    I just finished the book. Wow. I had known the main events in her life but not the details. The details were hard to read. I've known Lucinda for years and was disappointed and/or shocked at many of the situations and events described in the book. She is a strong woman and I'm glad she seems to now be at peace with everything that has happened in her life. Praying that she will continue to heal physically in the years to come.

I also highly recommend this book.

vCash
    Is the book written in English?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Is the book written in English?
    No, just the title.

From manleywoman's review (link posted above): http://www.manleywoman.com/book-revi...ozen-teardrop/
    All the more remarkable is that while English isn’t her first language, the book is almost perfectly written in English with only a very few odd phrases or grammatical errors scattered throughout. In the past when budgets in the publishing industry were larger, I’d assume a proofreader was involved. But these days you can never be assured of that. After speaking with her on the phone, her command of the English language made me think that she did it all herself. I just respect her more and more!

vCash
    I am reading it just now and I am really enjoying the book. It is very informative about the training conditions in different countries. I like that it is not the 'typical' story of a champion, (like there is several of them and they all seem to be somehow same). This one is different - maybe because her story is completely different. I don't want to give too many details so that I don't spoil it for you, but when you read it, you will know what I mean!
    Last edited by hanca; 12-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    I put this on my Amazon wishlist.

vCash
    manleywoman, thank you very much for your wonderful review of this book. I've always admired Lucinda's skating, so this is a must read for me.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ikxi6Zx4A

Pity she doesn't skate in the IJS.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I just wrote a review on my website tonight. She sent me an advance copy in preparation for my podcast interview. I've been getting a lot of books sent to me for review since I've been doing the skatecasts, and I thought it was about time I started reviewing them, so I started with hers.

Wonderful review. I'm aghast at some of the details of which you have written.

vCash
    Here's an article - from Feb. 2011:

Skating Royalty: 'Queen of Spin' Lucinda Ruh
    http://www.greenwichcitizen.com/news...804.php#page-1

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Wonderful review. I'm aghast at some of the details of which you have written.
    It's truly shocking when you read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post

Great review, I must get the book. I first saw Lucinda in the World Jr Championships here in Brisbane. Even then her spins were unmatched. The brutality of the Asian training systems doesn't surprise me. Remember that book about Tiger Mothers that came out recently, and the expose of the Korean cramming schools?

vCash
    Maybe this includes spoilers?

I think Lucinda's mother should be in jail. If you take one punch at a guy in a bar, they call it assault. You can go to jail for that. But a lifetime of beating your own child is okay? Nope. don't think so. Even saying that she regrets doing it now... not good enough.

And all those sports injuries. I hope to god Lucinda's spine has healed. I just don't know enough about multiple concussion problems to know if it's possible to heal.

It sounds like maybe she's conquered the exercise bulimia. (I think I currently have the opposite of that. )

Also, I hope things have improved for the Chinese skaters at their sort of primitive living situation at the training center Ruh attended.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide2 View Post
    I think Lucinda's mother should be in jail. If you take one punch at a guy in a bar, they call it assault. You can go to jail for that. But a lifetime of beating your own child is okay? Nope. don't think so. Even saying that she regrets doing it now... not good enough.
    She can't go to jail if Lucinda is unwilling to press charges. They seem to have come to an astonishing peace with each other and the whole situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide2 View Post
    In some countries it was (and somewhere maybe it still is) an aceptable way how to bring children up. I do agree that it was abuse, both physical and emotional, but you can't apply what is legal and illegal in your country to what happened to her in a different country and some perhaps 10-20 years ago. In some schools in was perfectly normal to use a cane; would you send all teachers from that time to prison?

I am quite surprised that her mother wrote the last chapter and admitted it. I think that must have helped a lot to Lucinda to come to terms with what had happened. A lot of parents in such situation would be denying it, claiming that it was not true, or maybe even taking legal action to stop the book being released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast