Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Registering with Pottermore site?

    Are they not taking any more registrants at this time or what? I thought that after Oct. 31, it was open to anyone who had not solved the puzzle, but now the site says only for The Beta Group. Is this registration being done in groups, following the Greek alaphabet system? Too many people registering & the admin. had to break it up into various groups?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Beta means the site is still in "testing" mode. No idea why it's still in testing mode, though. Frustrating since I was looking forward to being sorted!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    699
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There was just a piece in the new Entertainment Weekly. Apparently things are taking longer than they thought to sort out. So, they haven't opened up the site yet.

    Not surprising that there would be issues, when you figure they have to be ready for a few million people when they do open. I fully expect that they will break the interwebs..

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2979
    The early access alone crashed the servers, so you can imagine what general admission would do. I'm bummed too but not surprised.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16576
    I'm bummed, too, but what can you do?
    If you're into The Hunger Games, you can go here and get sorted into a district. I was hoping for District 12 but I wound up in 8.

    http://www.thecapitol.pn/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South of New York City
    Posts
    2,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They decided to "extend" the beta testing because they had major response time issues and complaints from users about things being ridiculously difficult at the lower levels. Wizard Duels were causing crashes and Potions took a very long time and a lot of precision under some browsers, but not others.

    From something else I read, I think the site's core programming being done in Flash was a major problem, especially for iWhatever users. The store won't open until mid-2012, it's been reported.

    The Pottermore Insider Blog has more details, FAQ's and will announce the registration openings.
    http://insider.pottermore.com/

  7. #7
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    I'm bummed, too, but what can you do?
    If you're into The Hunger Games, you can go here and get sorted into a district. I was hoping for District 12 but I wound up in 8.

    http://www.thecapitol.pn/
    I haven't read The Hunger Games but signed up anyway because I wanted to be sorted. I got sorted into District 9 and am now a harvester. I'll last about 5 minutes doing that because of my back. Does this mean they're going to shoot me or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    From something else I read, I think the site's core programming being done in Flash was a major problem, especially for iWhatever users. The store won't open until mid-2012, it's been reported.
    That sucks. I want to be sorted!!

    ETA: The latest post on the blog shows some amazing artwork that has been uploaded by users.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 11-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lapsed skating fan
    Posts
    14,711
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Does this mean they're going to shoot me or something?
    Most likely yes. Now go and fetch the book.

  9. #9
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    Most likely yes. Now go and fetch the book.
    Yesterday, someone posted in the FSU book thread that The Hunger Games Nook version was on sale for $4-something so I bought it last night.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16576
    You might as well order "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay" now. As soon as you finish "Hunger Games" you will be totally hooked (as I was) and want to start the next book IMMEDIATELY.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    You might as well order "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay" now. As soon as you finish "Hunger Games" you will be totally hooked (as I was) and want to start the next book IMMEDIATELY.
    Agreed!! I was put into District 6, transportation.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2979
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Yesterday, someone posted in the FSU book thread that The Hunger Games Nook version was on sale for $4-something so I bought it last night.
    Just yesterday? I checked my Nook and it's $9.99 now.

  13. #13
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Just yesterday? I checked my Nook and it's $9.99 now.
    Yup.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Umm...call me super-cynical, but I had an odd thought/epiphany the other day:

    I don't think Pottermore will ever officially open.

    Ok, have at me. Throw cyber-fruit at me. Whatever. I hope I'm wrong, but it's a thought I've had for a little bit now and I just wonder.

    If it goes kablooey, though, I hope JK publishes the encyclopedia she's mentioned 3 million times.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South of New York City
    Posts
    2,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Umm...call me super-cynical, but I had an odd thought/epiphany the other day:

    I don't think Pottermore will ever officially open.

    Ok, have at me. Throw cyber-fruit at me. Whatever. I hope I'm wrong, but it's a thought I've had for a little bit now and I just wonder.

    If it goes kablooey, though, I hope JK publishes the encyclopedia she's mentioned 3 million times.
    When I heard that Flash support on Apple was a no-go last week, I thought, hmmm... Pottermore is entirely Flash-driven. It might be dead before it even launches, unless they have the money to recode the whole thing.

    An "Encyclopedia Potterica" would be cool. The HP Lexicon was a handy reference guide, so adding in JK's unpublished info would be incredibly interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •