Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kimmie Meissner

vCash
    I still remember following that '06 worlds FS PBP thread on FSU live (last year I ever did so). That was one hell of a shocker...probably the biggest upset I've ever seen in my 10 years watching skating- right up there with Hughes in SLC, perhaps even more so.

I didn't even think her skate was that great (especially in comparison to many of the other "lights-out" worlds performances you typically got in that era from the ladies). Everyone else was just so mediocre, though...judges had no choice.
    Last edited by RD; 11-30-2011 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    oh, but that's NOTHING compared to what Flatt receives, for instance.

Flatt can never catch a break- even in this thread.

But once Czisny could never catch a break, either...and now look at her. The Czisny case is certainly an intriguing one- and will continue to be, I bet.
    Since we're on the subject of Flatt's inferiority, how did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dkrkGQ7hk

end up behind this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHWWL-C_KQ
    ??

No question in my mind who deserved better PCS and higher jump GOE, but the judges unfairly devalued Kimmie's loop, and some of her spins failed to get the levels. The Euro guys don't seem to agree with the results.

vCash
    I still remember following that '06 worlds FS PBP thread on FSU live (last year I ever did so). That was one hell of a shocker...probably the biggest upset I've ever seen in my 10 years watching skating- right up there with Hughes in SLC, perhaps even more so.

I didn't even think her skate was that great (especially in comparison to many of the other "lights-out" worlds performances you typically got in that era from the ladies). Everyone else was just so mediocre, though...judges had no choice.
    They certainly weren't holding back the marks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    But she's the last US lady to have won an ISU championship ('07 4CCs)
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    since then czisny has won SA, sc, neilborn twice, and last year's gpf. Why don't those count?
    I believe that is a question for the ISU.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Since we're on the subject of Flatt's inferiority, how did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dkrkGQ7hk

end up behind this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHWWL-C_KQ
    ??

No question in my mind who deserved better PCS and higher jump GOE, but the judges unfairly devalued Kimmie's loop, and some of her spins failed to get the levels. The Euro guys don't seem to agree with the results.
    I agree that the loop should not have been downgraded but I don't think it had anything to do with the judges, it was the technical panel that called the elements, the judges simply marked the GOE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I agree that the loop should not have been downgraded but I don't think it had anything to do with the judges, it was the technical panel that called the elements, the judges simply marked the GOE.
    The Caller/Tech Panel are part of the judging system, and obviously that is who I am talking about regarding the downgrade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    The Caller/Tech Panel are part of the judging system, and obviously that is who I am talking about regarding the downgrade.
    The referee is also part of the judging system, the code of points is part of the judging system. I wouldn't refer to either as judges

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    The referee is also part of the judging system, the code of points is part of the judging system. I wouldn't refer to either as judges
    The referee is making judgments about the competition, and the "code of points" is not a person.

vCash
    Here are youtube links to her numbers in the Holiday Moments show What a beautiful holiday show Disson put together with David A and MS! Enjoy:

I was trimming my tree with this on in the living room. It really put me in the holiday spirit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnRf-WhCudw

She did do a 3T in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A31Pqzvqj7g

Happy Holidays everybody, and thank you Disson entertainment!

vCash
    Meissner & Flatt had the same underlying problem: they were above average skaters, even good in some respects, but they were never great. Never will be. They had to rely on mistakes from skaters who were better than them to have a shot, and even then they had to nail it. I mean, I remember a skate America where Flatt was even able to beat Yuna Kim in the freeskate- but then that was probably Yuna's worst FS against one of Flatt's best.
    I don't entirely agree with this. I think Kimmie was a skater who never reached her potential. She struggled with growth at exactly the wrong time, as Mao and Yu Na came on the scene and just as COP started harshly penalizing under-rotations (they have since eased up a bit) . She was also injured in her last competitive season, as I recall. Rachael, on the other hand, was an over-achiever. I much prefer Kimmie's skating to Rachael's.
    Kimmie was improving in her artistry when she left the scene--and has improved a lot based on her recent show skating. Rachael's artistry has steadily declined from when she was a junior.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I was pretty harsh in 2006 with Kimmie, but just before she disappeared she was skating quite lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=i5dkrkGQ7hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=ZLGwTm-tpfU
    Last edited by bardtoob; 12-21-2011 at 07:00 AM.

vCash
    I still don't see the underrotation on that loop!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Neither do I.

vCash
    I do consider Kimmie lucky in the sense that she came up big at right time and capitalized on the situation. I would never say she was gifted that world championship...because she earned it. True, the competition was thinner, but she was still squaring off against heavy favorites and previous world medalists. She stepped up, skated her @$$ off and won the title fair and square.

I was never a fan of her skating per se (her skating style was far too rigid for my taste) but I was definitely a fan of her personality. I think Kimmie was a victim of the puberty monster; just so happens she was able to grab a national and world title before her changing body diminished her skating. Her presentation and artistry began to improve right around the time her jumps started failing her. In addition, she began skating around the time Mao, Yu-Na and Miki were emerging and at the time the new crop of US babies arrived (Caroline, Mirai, Ashley and Rachael). Kimmie got lost in the shuffle of new skaters...

Judging by her Disson performances, I can see that she's smoothed out her movements and looks very elegant...a word I never would have used to describe her before.

I find Kimmie more likable than Rachael. To me, it feels like the USFSA and the national judges pushed Rachael onto the public--they tried to force people to like her. Kimmie, OTOH, had a certain quality about her that made you like her, regardless of what you thought about her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I do consider Kimmie lucky in the sense that she came up big at right time and capitalized on the situation. I would never say she was gifted that world championship...because she earned it.
    No, she was the rightful winner- but she was lucky in the way SHughes was lucky in Salt Lake. If at least one of the favorites had skated to her potential or even close to it- obviously there would have been a different winner regardless of how she skated.

To me, it feels like the USFSA and the national judges pushed Rachael onto the public--they tried to force people to like her. Kimmie, OTOH, had a certain quality about her that made you like her, regardless of what you thought about her skating.
    I definitely agree about Rachel- they clearly chose her as a big part of their promotional campaign, likely because of her combining high-level education with championship-level skating. But somehow I can't blame them for making that choice. It's not like there's any other US lady that is significantly more worthy of attention at this point...(and that speaks volumes about the state we're in right now, no?) I mean, as sick as I am of hearing about Flatt...but perhaps with her standings dropping like a rock, they'll reconsider. I always thought Flatt was what you'd call an "overachiever" (I mean that in the best way, not intended as an insult) and not who most everyday people can relate to. That, I think is the problem- she is fine as a spokeperson, but perhaps not as the face of the US ladies' program when there are better and more talented skaters in the mix. Then again, I don't think there IS a face for the program right now...

As for the point re. KM I always thought that was a personal thing. I agree about her being more likeable (than Flatt) when she was younger (e.g. 2006). But now, not so much. I find many other skaters more likeable (persona-wise) than her. That's just my view though.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Yeah, too bad Meissner got dinged on that loop, I couldn't see any UR. However, Flatt's spins (incredibly) were much better than Meissner's. KM was never much of a spinner (that layback, ouch).

The 2006-2010 quad was tough for US skating. What surprises me is that I feel USFS decidedly was NOT pushing Flatt. For years she delivered clean programs only to lose to a 'future star' who made mistakes. Finally when those 'future stars' consistently bombed, and Flatt was known for reliably delivering 7 triple performances, USFS had no choice BUT to push for Flatt. But the push was a double edged sword, since it was OBVIOUS she was not the skater/star of the moment. Then Flatt starts bombing but now was being given 'reputation' marks. Hopefully that is over with now after her disastrous skating the last 12 months.

I'm sure USFS is chomping at the bit to find SOMEONE consistent that is pleasant to look at. Czisny and Wagner are just not going to cut it. Nagasu is such a headcase. No wonder there is a push for a junior skater who only skated in one JGP now.

vCash
    No, she was the rightful winner- but she was lucky in the way SHughes was lucky in Salt Lake. If at least one of the favorites had skated to her potential or even close to it- obviously there would have been a different winner regardless of how she skated.
    And the judges and technical callers back then didn't care at all about toe-axels. Kimmi's were so blatant that it was embarrasing her 3-3s were were counted.

Kimmi seems like a nice girl, but her skating bored me back then, and it bores me now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Yeah, too bad Meissner got dinged on that loop, I couldn't see any UR. However, Flatt's spins (incredibly) were much better than Meissner's. KM was never much of a spinner (that layback, ouch).

The 2006-2010 quad was tough for US skating. What surprises me is that I feel USFS decidedly was NOT pushing Flatt. For years she delivered clean programs only to lose to a 'future star' who made mistakes. Finally when those 'future stars' consistently bombed, and Flatt was known for reliably delivering 7 triple performances, USFS had no choice BUT to push for Flatt. But the push was a double edged sword, since it was OBVIOUS she was not the skater/star of the moment. Then Flatt starts bombing but now was being given 'reputation' marks. Hopefully that is over with now after her disastrous skating the last 12 months.

I'm sure USFS is chomping at the bit to find SOMEONE consistent that is pleasant to look at. Czisny and Wagner are just not going to cut it. Nagasu is such a headcase. No wonder there is a push for a junior skater who only skated in one JGP now.
    Czisny IS that person for now. She just barely missed getting the bronze medal last year at Worlds. And now that she bombed at the GPF, the first time that badly since she moved to Yuka and Jason, everyone is crying that she's still inconsistent and isn't the clear frontrunner at this point. We all know why she skated the way she did at the GPF and you guys are being very unforgiving and are getting to caught up about her past. It really does look like she's put her past behind her.

Other than that, I knew Kimmie wasn't going to last. Her jump technique was just so blah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    And the judges and technical callers back then didn't care at all about toe-axels. Kimmi's were so blatant that it was embarrasing her 3-3s were were counted.

Kimmi seems like a nice girl, but her skating bored me back then, and it bores me now.
    They still don't care about toe axels...

vCash
    Meissner's next show is in Billings, Montana tomorrow: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81677

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast