Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimmie Meissner

vCash
    Every time I see Kimmie skate, I feel like crying. The youthful joy on her face at the end of her 2006 WC freeskate makes me want to cry. She was finally coming into her own as a more expressive skater when she became too injured to continue. Everything seemed to be coming together until she skated on that sprained ankle at the 2008 GPF. World Champion at 16, and by 18 she was done. It just feels too unfair to me.

vCash
    Sometimes that's just the way it goes. She was just INCREDIBLY fortunate to peak at the right moment- at Worlds, and in the post-Oly watered down field (PLUS capitalizing off the favorites' mistakes- sound familiar?). I mean, look how Nagasu did at the Vancouver games and that effort didn't even win a medal...

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why does every Kimmie Meissner thread always have to include someone belly-aching about her name?
    I'm guessing it's the same reason every thread about Flatt includes a bunch of posters trying to give her a virtual makeover, arguing among themselves about what she should and shouldn't change.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Every time I see Kimmie skate, I feel like crying. The youthful joy on her face at the end of her 2006 WC freeskate makes me want to cry. She was finally coming into her own as a more expressive skater when she became too injured to continue. Everything seemed to be coming together until she skated on that sprained ankle at the 2008 GPF. World Champion at 16, and by 18 she was done. It just feels too unfair to me.
    I agree, she seemed so dedicated, and her expression and body control improved tremendously only her jump consistency disappeared. I'll never forget watching her clean LP at Skate America in 2006 after a rough warm-up where she moved ahead of Asada for the silver. She certainly was a competitor!

vCash
    Has Kimmie retired? Is she not competing at all anymore?

vCash
    Kimmie competed at Skate America and Cup of Russia in 2008 - she placed 8th in both comps. Since then she has changed coaches a couple of times and is now with Chris Conte.

She has appeared in some shows, but has had numerous injuries which have kept her from training at the elite level. I don't think she will ever compete again, but wish her the best.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I've always liked her. From 2006 to 2010, post-Kwan and pre-Czisny resurrection, she was my favorite US lady on the eligible circuit. She always came across as very sweet, humble, and classy. I've always wanted her to be happy.

vCash
    I always liked Kimmie too. I would always crack up when she would talk about doing the morning announcements at her high school. She was so cute.

vCash
    Just saw Kimmie skate on the 'Pandora' holiday program. She looks so much more mature and graceful. However, she may not be in competition shape anymore. She did just two jumps - 2A and 3t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Just saw Kimmie skate on the 'Pandora' holiday program. She looks so much more mature and graceful. However, she may not be in competition shape anymore. She did just two jumps - 2A and 3t.
    That's two more jumps than Sarah Hughes did in a recent made-for-TV special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    That's two more jumps than Sarah Hughes did in a recent made-for-TV special.
    Perhaps, but Hughes obviously isn't looking to return to competing?

ETA: I seem to recall Cohen not doing any jumps in a few show programs, yet she doesn't seem to have people blasting her for it like Hughes does...just sayin'....go figure!
    Last edited by RD; 11-28-2011 at 02:25 AM.

vCash
    While I was not a Sasha fan, I could appreciate Sasha's other qualities. She has many pretty tricks. W/o jumps, Sarah has almost nothing to offer, imo.

vCash
    I liked Hughes' "Both Sides Now" exhibition from last year (and it did feature jumps of a kind), but her two most recent Disson show routines were rather sad IMO. Uninspired and jumpless just won't do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    While I was not a Sasha fan, I could appreciate Sasha's other qualities. She has many pretty tricks. W/o jumps, Sarah has almost nothing to offer, imo.
    I suppose YMMV, because at SOI, Cohen even WITH jumps I found very uninspiring. It's really about the routine and whether you can get the audience going or not. Jumps are not required to do so, but they do help.

Hughes I've only seen on TV thus far, but that will change shortly. I was glad to have her back- I feel it's more about the choice of routine, though. There are performances that can pull the audience in without need of jumps or fancy tricks (as I've found out from the shows I've attended). Of course, the ones I tend to remember most are the ones with the backflips, triple jumps, etc.

vCash
    Sasha was better in SOI than Sarah was. In SOI, after Sarah's OGM, she couldn't do a 2 Axel. Remember 2003-4?
    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...9&tx=33&ty=-10

vCash
    ^ I didn't go to live shows in those days, but I did catch it on Youtube later. I understand what some folks were saying, but I didn't think she was THAT bad *hides*

I mean, she had some charm, I felt. I can't say that for just about anyone...*naming no names*

ETA: that said, if you do make the decision not to do any jumps, better make sure you choose a very entertaining piece and really play to the audience...or let your skating speak for itself (e.g. Gordeeva)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Perhaps, but Hughes obviously isn't looking to return to competing?

ETA: I seem to recall Cohen not doing any jumps in a few show programs, yet she doesn't seem to have people blasting her for it like Hughes does...just sayin'....go figure!
    As has been said many times already, Kimmie has given no indication that she's looking to return to competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    As has been said many times already, Kimmie has given no indication that she's looking to return to competition.
    I'm aware of that, and I agree (after talking to her too). It just all seems like a convenient excuse to dump on Hughes, though.

Like I said before- enjoy what you are doing, and convey it well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I'm aware of that, and I agree (after talking to her too). It just all seems like a convenient excuse to dump on Hughes, though.
    Yep.

vCash
    One thing I did appreciate about Sarah was her perfect layback spin (she does a lovely one in that clip falling_dance posted) - not too extreme of a back bend, and a perfectly turned out free leg. That's the one thing she had over Kwan back in their competitive heydays, and the one thing that I wish Kwan had. For some reason, I've never been able to really, really like a ladies' singles skater (save Kwan) who didn't have, at the very least, a moderately nice layback.

Back on topic: I do miss Kimmie, too. She was never a very graceful skater even at the tail end of her career when she was improving artistically, but she brought a certain sort of honesty and earnestness to her skating that I rarely find these days. On the ice, I find her somewhat similar to Flatt, except that Kimmie's personality made me enjoy her skating much more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast