Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    who shops at sears?
    I don't know about Sears in other places, but Sears in Canada has *no* idea of who their customer is. Unless they think that the pensioners shopping for polyester jackets are also going to buy stuff like Juicy Couture sweatpants Stocking the Karda$hian perfume IMHO indicates they think their customers are label-obsessed, which I don't think is the case at all.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't know about Sears in other places, but Sears in Canada has *no* idea of who their customer is. Unless they think that the pensioners shopping for polyester jackets are also going to buy stuff like Juicy Couture sweatpants Stocking the Karda$hian perfume IMHO indicates they think their customers are label-obsessed, which I don't think is the case at all.
    I think it depends where you are. If you don't live near a major urban centre, and rely on one main regional shopping mall for most of your shopping, then Sears is a place that teens and twentysomethings will go for perfumes and clothes. In the small town where I grew up, Sears was the top end store, and carried brands and products that we couldn't get at the drugstore or discount retailer, and the clothes were cheaper than the smaller shops in the mall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think it depends where you are.
    I have lived in big cities and small cities and the Sears are all the same. I have to agree with Overedge that Sears are for the
    pensioners shopping for polyester jackets
    Even their children's section leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps the Sears in the Eaton Centre is different, I have not been there in a while.

Now, The Bay is a different story, I find that their stores change depending on the market. Their store in affluent Oakville Ontario has a lot of high end designer clothes, but that is not the same in blue collar Cambridge Ontario.
    Last edited by algonquin; 11-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I bought a washer/dryer and a fridge, and contracted my new furnace, at Sears...oh, wait. (There IS a mall-type Sears down over the Indiana line near here, but the Sears in town is strictly hardware and appliances only.)

CLOTHES? Yeah, right. Their "designer" stuff is crap and jeans I can get at Tractor Supply for less (they have Wrangler and Levi, what more does one need?)

vCash
    There are people that do shop at Sears; otherwise the store would've closed a long time ago. Sorry to say, but it's kind of snobbish to put down people that shop there. If that's all people can afford then so what.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    There's a Boycott the Kardashians group on Facebook - the number of members has mushroomed over the past couple of weeks and now has over 55,000 members.

In addition to the KarTrashian clan, I also want to slap Ryan Seacrest silly for foisting this obnoxious, opportunistic, money-grubbing passel of famewhores onto America. I used to tune into E! for various shows, but nowadays, any time I check my cable guide, it seems like that channel is always airing some incarnation of the KarTrashian family, and now I refuse to watch anything on it until they're gone. It's been months since I've watched anything on E!, yet it seems like I'm constantly being bombarded by sound bytes, news bytes, photos, blurbs, etc., on every other channel, plus there's the over-exposure of these people in magazines at the store -- I swear, it seems like there's no escaping them .

Stop the insanity!!!
    Ryan Seacrest will do anything for $$$$

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    There are people that do shop at Sears; otherwise the store would've closed a long time ago. Sorry to say, but it's kind of snobbish to put down people that shop there. If that's all people can afford then so what.
    Snobs? At FSU?? You're kidding. There are no snobs here...

I've shopped at Sears. My father-in-law works for them. Our Circulon cookware they gave us as a wedding present came from there. I have a great pair of nude pumps I bought there several years ago that have lasted and look as good as the more expensive ones on the other side of the mall. People who shop at way more expensive shoe stores have complimented them. I have bought Levi's there at reasonable prices as I was not also paying for the fancy mirrors, pretty carpet and saleslady with too much costume jewelry that peddles Levis at the other end of the mall.

And, though I've been randomly accused of being a retired person (that mostly occurred at a more conservative board where a few posters were convinced that it takes only 10-15 years of teaching to get a full pension in most states, thus since I left teaching after 16 years, I must be retired...), I am not at all. I usually still get carded when I buy alcohol.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wasn't putting down the people who shop there. I was pointing out whoever selects the merchandise they sell at Sears doesn't seem to have a very clear idea of who those people are.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    who shops at sears?
    The Brady Bunch does.

vCash
    I shop at Sears for appliances and craftsman tools. I return a lot of clothes there, but never buy them in store (Lands End). They definetly have no idea who their target audience is, that's for sure.

I did notice the other day they have the Kardashian brand, but I really don't know who the Kardashian's are other than some rich girl who had a big wedding and then a really quick divorce. I know she has a reality show, and I was told in another thread I should know she was famous for a sex-tape, but until that thread, I didn't know that either. I thought they were just famous for being famous, and their Dad is a famous lawyer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    What I couldn't believe was the number of young teenage girls in tears at their instore appearances. What is our world coming to?
    A couple of years ago Paris Hilton made an appearance at the Toronto Hudson's Bay store across from the Eaton Centre and I wondered who would want to see Paris Hilton? Hundreds of young women turned up.

I subsequently watched Paris' TV show where Paris searched for a new BFF. The show was a nightmare. Are people so desperate for fame they'll allowed themselves to be used so shamelessly? Sadly, the answer seems to be "Yes".

We have teenage girls getting pregnant so they can be on Teen Mom. This is the message the girls are getting and embracing: Get famous. Do anything to get famous.

We need a better message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    A couple of years ago Paris Hilton made an appearance at the Toronto Hudson's Bay store across from the Eaton Centre and I wondered who would want to see Paris Hilton? Hundreds of young women turned up.
    Somewhere around 2004 or 2005, I had a senior girl who had to write an essay on a personal role model for a very competitive and very large scholarship to a local college. In spite of my warning her that it was not a good idea, she wrote her essay on Paris Hilton. She didn't make the final round for the scholarship selection and couldn't understand why, when a classmate with slightly lower grades did. Her classmate's essay was about a family member. Go figure.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The Kardashians make no sense to me either, but I have heard here and there from teens and twentysomethings who love them - they are pretty and have great clothes and their own perfume and fashion lines, they get to meet lots of other celebrities and go to big parties, and they are on tv and in magazines all the time. I can sorta see the appeal to people of a certain age and mindset.

Plus, as we've discussed, to get a series of tv shows and land so many magazine covers, there must be *some* interest out there. Modern day starlets, socialites, it girls and royalty I guess - only now we have the internet and many more channels to fill with content, so those who aren't interested somehow have trouble avoiding it.

For that matter, there are those who don't get that I follow Kate Middleton and got up at 2 in the morning to watch the wedding, as I did with Diana before her. When it comes down to it, neither is particularly worthy of admiration or attention (Diana later on, but certainly not at first) on their own - it's just because of who they were marrying and the interesting life they would lead because of it. And they're pretty and rich and wear nice clothes and live in castles and ...
    Last edited by Jenny; 11-23-2011 at 07:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Perhaps the Sears in the Eaton Centre is different, I have not been there in a while.
    The stuff on the main floor is very trendy - bags, shoes, accessories and make-up, but their other levels, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Now, The Bay is a different story, I find that their stores change depending on the market. Their store in affluent Oakville Ontario has a lot of high end designer clothes, but that is not the same in blue collar Cambridge Ontario.
    The downtown Toronto Bay Stores are very high end trendy - designer fashions for women of all sizes, large and small. The plus size boutique has Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Jones of New York, and other premium labels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    The downtown Toronto Bay Stores are very high end trendy - designer fashions for women of all sizes, large and small. The plus size boutique has Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Jones of New York, and other premium labels.
    Do they still have a store at Yonge and Bloor?

vCash
    No More Kardashians?

Didn't the Kardashians go to war against the Klingons?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For that matter, there are those who don't get that I follow Kate Middleton and got up at 2 in the morning to watch the wedding, as I did with Diana before her. When it comes down to it, neither is particularly worthy of admiration or attention (Diana later on, but certainly not at first) on their own - it's just because of who they were marrying and the interesting life they would lead because of it. And they're pretty and rich and wear nice clothes and live in castles and ...
    Because she is a future queen of England, which will mean that she will eventually be part of a country's Head of State. And will potentially give birth to another future Head of State. Which in the scheme of things probably gives her a bit more importance in the British heirachical order and subsequent position in the world than the Katrashians.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Kim Kardashian is on a Media Lockdown

Kim Kardashian has apparently been placed on a “media lockdown” by Kris Jenner who honestly believes limiting Kim’s exposure will make people love her again and be excited for the next season of Kim & Kourtney Take New York.
    “They did not anticipate the extreme backlash and the damage it would cause to the K-brand as a whole. The whole empire has been affected by this dumb marriage and Kris Jenner is all about getting paid,” a source close to the family told RadarOnline.com.
    I don't dislike Khloe (I think she may be kind of fun to hang out with, and was screwed over pretty hard on Celebrity Apprentice), and I actually like Rob, after seeing him on DWTS, but Kim just has this air of 'I'm entitled to everything' about her and she needs to have some brains smacked into her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    ... but Kim just has this air of 'I'm entitled to everything' about her and she needs to have some brains smacked into her.
    Does she needs brains smacked into her or just smacked?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Does she needs brains smacked into her or just smacked?
    Both - I figure if she's going to be deservedly smacked, she might as well get a brain out of the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast