Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday

vCash
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I just drove down to our mall to look at the lines. The line into best buy wrapped halfway around that side of the mall. Whatever those people wanted, I guarantee you they didn't have enough! What's the point? If you aren't the first 10 people, you aren't getting the doorbuster...

Target was similarly insane.

I usually go to Joann's to get fabric (and stand in the cutting line for 3+ hours), but I watched ladies short this year instead. I can't think of anything I want, so I'm likely going to just stay in this year.

That lady who pepper sprayed someone better be arrested, and have the x-box confiscated. That is absurd!
    The number of people getting shot is crazy too: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...pepper-sprayed (That really just seems to be criminals taking advantage of black friday, rather than crazy shoppers though)
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 11-25-2011 at 03:33 PM.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I hate shopping in general so Black Friday is definitely not for me. I was going to go get some body wash and simple stuff like that, but after I realized it's the Black Friday weekend I think I'll do it on Monday.

BTW, there's a poll on Yahoo's main page "Is Black Friday shopping worth it?" and 91% chose "No, the crowds are a hassle." I was surprised by the percentage, I thought more people were into it.

vCash
    I like Black Friday, but couldn't be arsed to get out today. Instead, I just bought my mom a camera for Christmas from home. I might go to Ulta or Sephora, but I can't decide if I'd rather just stay home and order stuff online since the sales are pretty good and I can get free shipping anyway.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    BTW, there's a poll on Yahoo's main page "Is Black Friday shopping worth it?" and 91% chose "No, the crowds are a hassle." I was surprised by the percentage, I thought more people were into it.
    That's because the people who would've voted "yes" are still in line somewhere.

I'm about to head out. I figure the crazies should be gone by now. Right???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    NBC had a story of a woman who used pepper spray to have an advantage over other shoppers to get an XBox
    Stupid
    Woman used pepper spray when people cut in front of her . Well, I guess she ended up not getting whatever it was that she was waiting in line for anyway, because I hope the police hauled her *ss to jail. If one feels it's necessary to carry some sort of defensive weapon when going shopping then that person should not be out shopping. Period.

vCash
    While I agree that she should be punished fully, all those people mugged last night probably wish they had brought pepper spray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Woman used pepper spray when people cut in front of her . Well, I guess she ended up not getting whatever it was that she was waiting in line for anyway, because I hope the police hauled her *ss to jail. If one feels it's necessary to carry some sort of defensive weapon when going shopping then that person should not be out shopping. Period.
    I stated upthread that I've never done Black Friday and had been reconsidering. But, now I'm thinking that shopping online is the safest, especially if you can get the same deals. A lot of these stores offer free shipping. Fighting these morons in the malls aren't worth bodily injury or death.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Actually Orbitz according to CNN she did indeed manage to buy what she wanted and left the store. They are still looking for her.

vCash
    What?!? No one - customers or employees - tackled her and held her for the police or at least snapped her picture with their cell phones? That's insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    What?!? No one - customers or employees - tackled her and held her for the police or at least snapped her picture with their cell phones? That's insane.
    They probably couldn't get close to her. But, that would have been a sight to be behold.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Any good online deals? I am not physically going anywhere, except taking Mini Ice skating.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I didn't head out until 12:45 (PM!) today, swung by Banana Republic. Got a cute pair of work appropriate blouses in coral and magenta for $23 total, including taxes. The staff was completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of people but were still incredibly nice and helpful - perfect service!

vCash
    I got just under $1,000 worth of bedding for $370. Our bedding was getting really old and worn out so it was money I was going to have to spend (about $400 is what I had budgeted) so I was happy. Store wasn 't too crowded and we went at a reasonable time. I avoided the mega-mall around the corner for a less crowded and saner experence.

vCash
    I work at Target at open today, and it was insane. Longest line ever, but everything was very calm and organized. Hats off to corporate for training all the managers in crowd management and getting everything organized so that all the crowds could be handled smoothly. They did something new this year where they didn't let everyone in all at once, but metered them in at about thirty or so people every five minutes. It meant that there was no massive crush threatening to trample people.

What really made my jaw drop was the initial line to check out...it was a switchback that went up and down aisles the entire length of the store. 8-o Even then, though, I heard that the longest wait was only an hour; pretty impressive considering how freakin' long that line was.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but I don't know how Walmart still allows Black Fridays to come and go without any real efforts to make it safer and more organized. Every single person I've talked to who has gone to Walmart on Black Friday always says that it is complete chaos and somewhat scary, and the lines are always ridiculously long and disorganized even though they have twice as many people working as we do. And every time you hear about customers or employees getting hurt, odds are it's at a Walmart. When will enough be enough?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    What was she thinking? No one would notice?
    That's what I said to Mr. Mac when he told me!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I just drove down to our mall to look at the lines. The line into best buy wrapped halfway around that side of the mall. Whatever those people wanted, I guarantee you they didn't have enough! What's the point? If you aren't the first 10 people, you aren't getting the doorbuster...
    I know someone who was waiting in line at Best Buy to get those 42" tvs for $200 as soon as Thanksgiving dinner was over. At least with those, they gave out tickets so at some point you know if you are going to get one or not. I still think it's crazy.

I don't think people realize that a lot of those sales are not a good bargain. Macys had all these items on sale and they were very cheap but most of them were crap items so the "sale" price wasn't that big when you realize that these items normally sell at discount stores for not much more.

For example, they had a bunch of items by "Bella" which is certainly not a big name Small Appliance manufacturer. They were pretty much novelty items like pancake and mini-donut and quesadilla makers. But they were only $10 so people were buying them like crazy! I think they will give them to other people as gifts. Those other people will use them 1-2x times or give them away as white elephants. So it doesn't matter, I guess, but it seems like a waste to me.

In my case, I've wanted a cake pop maker for ages and have been looking at the cake pop baking trays but decided the novelty cake pop maker for $10 was a better deal (the trays are $20 and, yes, they make more cake pops but I didn't want to spend that much because I know cake pops are a fad).

They also had Black & Decker stuff but who gets a 2-slice toaster these days when a 4-slice one isn't really much more? Again, I think these were being picked up as presents.

Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I'm not. It seems like "everyone" is into it because of the crowds, but if you think that there are hundreds of people standing in line early at each store, well, that's not the majority of people in that town.

Some people are really into it and go every year but I'm not a big shopper and I went last year because my daughter wanted to go and I figured it would be fun to do with her. After this year, she doesn't want to go any more so that's two years and out for us. For other people it's a one year and out sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    But, now I'm thinking that shopping online is the safest, especially if you can get the same deals. A lot of these stores offer free shipping. Fighting these morons in the malls aren't worth bodily injury or death.
    I do buy most of my stuff online. Before we went went out this year, we bought a washing machine (ours broke just last week) that was on sale just on Thurs. and only online. Then I ordered some stuff from Target. Today I'm ordering some of this special hot chocolate that I like that is 50% off online today only and free shipping. I'm going to order some other stuff online for out-of-town relatives and have it wrapped and shipped to them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Actually Orbitz according to CNN she did indeed manage to buy what she wanted and left the store. They are still looking for her.
    Well the jokes on her. That X-box deal was a crappy deal. It's the older 4GB X-box and you can buy it online for between $145-160 so buying it bundled with a bunch of stuff, half of which you probably don't want, for $200 isn't a deal at all.

So multi-quote dropped the comment about how the terror happens at places like Wal-mart and not "organized" places like a bunch of others including Macy's. All I have to say to that is: you haven't been to my Macys. It was HORRIBLE.

They didn't manage the lines at all and so they sprung up in places the staff didn't want them and their attempts to fix it lead to a lot of heated exchanges between people standing in certain lines and people trying to join those lines when they'd been declared "dead" and the new line was somewhere else. Plus they had 3 registers and four people working them but after about 15 minutes only 1 of the registers was actually checking people out. I stood in line for over an hour to buy 3 items and then when we tried to leave to put our purchases in the car, the escalator was broken! So there were hoards of people walking down it their arms ladened with purchases. I decided I didn't want to die and took the elevator.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I was out to breakfast around 9:45 this morning with some family members, and none of the shopping centers were crowded at all. And driving home along I-95 there wasn't much traffic either. Maybe everyone was home sleeping after their all-night shopping adventures. We were all very surprised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't think people realize that a lot of those sales are not a good bargain.
    The stores, advertisements, media and economists all combine to tell us how important Black Friday is to us and how it reflects the current economic state. To me, it is all a joke on the consumer. You must have, you must have, your holiday won't be complete without the xyz of the season. I guess I saw the cabbage patch dolls as one of the first "you must have and you will only get if you stand in line for hours" item. Followed by Care Bears, Ty Babies, Tickle Me Elmo, etc.

My mom, who does not shop, stood in line for Cabbage Patch Dolls for my oldest son and niece. She was so excited that she got them - the kids not so much.

I did one black Friday as a teenager because it was a brand new mega mall opening. Difference from then to now, stores opened at 8 am instead of 10 am on Friday. Parking was the biggest issue. I don't remember buying anything - just wanted to be a part of it.

I prefer staying home and watching football. I'll go online shopping or mall shopping next week.

vCash
    I work at the mall of america and while my store did not open until 6 am, some of the girls from Express came by and said they had 800 people waiting for them to open at midnight and they did about 3,000 transactions between midnight and 2:00 am. Wow.
    I was in zombie mode until I stopped by Lane Bryant and saw they had 50% off everything...and then I promptly lost my shit.
    The worst line was Starbucks....it was out the door. I never got any kind of caffeine.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I was in zombie mode until I stopped by Lane Bryant and saw they had 50% off everything...and then I promptly lost my shit.
    Your purchases?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Lets seeeeee....I got 2 pairs of pants, 3 camis, a sweater, a nice sparkly black top, and 2 pairs of undies. That was $175, plus I got coupons to come in before December 11 to get $75 off of a $150 purchase.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast