Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'm with Japanfan on this. BaileyCatts said that she didn't know if it was a lunch interview, just wondered about the time. That gives her the option to say "I didn't realize we were going to lunch, so I ate before I arrived. Please do go ahead though, and I just have a cup of tea."

I think the chance that the person doesn't want to eat alone is one I'd take against the risk of trying to focus on an interview while eating and all the potential land mines that come with that.

vCash
    It's best just to ask HR if a lunch interview will be involved if the scheduled interview time is around lunch time.

I've done an all day interview where I was shuttered from one person to the next from 9 until 3. In that situation there was no possible way to get out of a lunch interview gracefully, since it was planned.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Stay away from hard-shell tacos and clams on the half-shell!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I'm late to the conversation, but I suspect a 12:15 interview is not considered a lunch interview, but one of scheduling convenience. Particularly if this was an interview that was scheduled within the last week.

I would find it rather odd to have a lunch interview as the first screening interview. Perhaps on a second or third call back when being interviewed by the work team, but the initial interview no.

Salads, chips,sandwiches and meat/chicken of any sort requires extended chewing making it difficult to talk. Soups make a slurping sound and the great potential for spilling. I agree with whoever said that you should indicate that you have eaten prior to the interview, but a cup of tea/coffee or water would be nice type of response.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I just re-read the original post. I thought you knew for sure if they were proposing to have the interview over lunch. That happens occasionally during a 2nd interview when the manager making the final decision wants to get to know a finalist in a more relaxed environment. Now in reading your post again, you are making assumptions that lunch is involved because your interview is at 12:15pm. As an HR professional that doesn't eat her lunch until at least 1:30pm, I can tell you that 12 - 1pm doesn't mean everyone goes to lunch. Many management people work through their lunch hour. I would never dream of eating in front of a candidate during an interview, nor would I want them to either.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I would find it rather odd to have a lunch interview as the first screening interview. Perhaps on a second or third call back when being interviewed by the work team, but the initial interview no.
    I once had a first interview with someone who invited me to lunch at one of her favourite restaurants, which at first seemed like a friendly gesture. Turned out to be an ethnic restaurant with a rather challenging menu, which gave me some indication of what she might be like to work with - everything on her terms, with little opportunity for collaboration let alone consideration to others. It was a pleasant enough lunch, but that was just one of many red flags that made me go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Well, that will be highly dependent on the field. In academia, job interviews generally last for 1-2 days, and include breakfast, lunch and dinner(s). The strategy of politely declining to eat wouldn't work very well in that case. Sometimes there are screening interviews before the "full" interview, but not always.

My first job right out of college was in consulting, and that also required a full day interview, with no screening interview. I flew in, arriving late morning, had some interviews, was taken to lunch, had some more interviews, then flew home that night. If I had lived further away, I would have flown home the next day, so dinner would have been included as well.
    Creating drama!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    No lunch. Thank goodness! Yea, I am so used to 12-1p being lunch hour, I was just assuming. But at least I have lots of good info for if it does happen. Or even just eating with the boss, which I have rarely done save for the big group lunch thing.

Man, I hate this. Anyone want their own personal assistant to just do whatever you tell me to do all day? Maybe we can work a deal. So would enjoy that versus interviews! :
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 11-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Well, that will be highly dependent on the field. In academia, job interviews generally last for 1-2 days, and include breakfast, lunch and dinner(s). The strategy of politely declining to eat wouldn't work very well in that case. Sometimes there are screening interviews before the "full" interview, but not always.

My first job right out of college was in consulting, and that also required a full day interview, with no screening interview. I flew in, arriving late morning, had some interviews, was taken to lunch, had some more interviews, then flew home that night. If I had lived further away, I would have flown home the next day, so dinner would have been included as well.
    Ugh. I've got one of these in a few weeks (completely unlike my last interview in academia for my current position). So all the food tips will be of help. Dinner the night before. Breakfast on my own on the day of, full day interview including a presentation and I'll be taken to lunch with the staff. Interview will conclude late afternoon and home I'll go.

My dilemma. I live super close to where I'm interviewing (7 miles), but my resume is my permanent address which is about an hour away. Regardless, both are commutable. I mentioned that when they contacted me, offering the interview. I just got an email with my pre-paid hotel room confirmation. Do I contact them and ask if they prefer I stay at the hotel? Do I request to come from home? Do I just not say anything? This part is more stressful than the actual interview (though I'm sure that will change when it's closer). What's appropriate?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    My dilemma. I live super close to where I'm interviewing (7 miles), but my resume is my permanent address which is about an hour away. Regardless, both are commutable. I mentioned that when they contacted me, offering the interview. I just got an email with my pre-paid hotel room confirmation. Do I contact them and ask if they prefer I stay at the hotel? Do I request to come from home? Do I just not say anything? This part is more stressful than the actual interview (though I'm sure that will change when it's closer). What's appropriate?
    I've arranged these sorts of interviews, and two things come to mind:
    - Sometimes emails like this get issued to all the candidates regardless of where they are, or there is confusion over which candidate needs the hotel and which doesn't, and a room gets offered when one isn't needed.
    - Search committees generally have restricted budgets, and if you are able to commute but don't tell them and instead take advantage of a free night in a hotel, this is not going to make you look good (i.e. you have wasted their money).

I would phone them and explain the situation, and ask if they are sure they would like you to stay at the hotel. Make it clear that you are able to commute, and that you are fine with not staying in the hotel if they are OK with that too. They may want you to stay there to ensure you are ready bright and early, rather than e.g. dozing through your alarm or being stuck in traffic. If they are willing to pay for the hotel even though they know how close you are, then that's OK, but it will make you look responsible and thoughtful if you ensure that this is what they intend for you to do.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I'd eat whatever you want. Do you normally make a mess when you go out to eat, while having conversations? A lunch interview can also serve as an advantage as chewing gives you thinking time

Glad it's resolved BC and hope you find a job that suits you soon.

And I'd call and tell them I don't need the hotel, providing they don't require it.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 11-19-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Do you normally make a mess when you go out to eat, while having conversations?
    Um, yes.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Um, yes.
    What's the difference between eating out and eating at home? Or do you make a mess whenever you eat?

I just don't get it, adults should be able to eat at a table without making a mess, and if you make a "normal" mess, you wipe it with a napkin, no big deal! If it's bigger, you excuse yourself to the bathroom - but honestly, that should be rare. I think saying no to eating because you're scared of making a mess is abnormal, interview or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I've arranged these sorts of interviews, and two things come to mind:
    - Sometimes emails like this get issued to all the candidates regardless of where they are, or there is confusion over which candidate needs the hotel and which doesn't, and a room gets offered when one isn't needed.
    - Search committees generally have restricted budgets, and if you are able to commute but don't tell them and instead take advantage of a free night in a hotel, this is not going to make you look good (i.e. you have wasted their money).

I would phone them and explain the situation, and ask if they are sure they would like you to stay at the hotel. Make it clear that you are able to commute, and that you are fine with not staying in the hotel if they are OK with that too. They may want you to stay there to ensure you are ready bright and early, rather than e.g. dozing through your alarm or being stuck in traffic. If they are willing to pay for the hotel even though they know how close you are, then that's OK, but it will make you look responsible and thoughtful if you ensure that this is what they intend for you to do.
    Thanks. I did go ahead and send an email (I called but the person arranging was out of the office) explaining the situation. I did mention that either would be fine with me and that it was their decision. They did mention initially that they'd pick me up at 7:45 am sharp (as well as 7:45 the night before for dinner).

I'll let you know how it works out. This is my first academic interview like this. For my current position, I just drove in for an hour interview and building tour and that was that. This is a little intimidating.

vCash
    I'd eat whatever you want. Do you normally make a mess when you go out to eat, while having conversations?
    Welll one isn't normally encased in some uncomfortable corporate blue suit when eating at home . Getting tomato sauce accidentally splashed onto your dirty T-shirt at home? No big deal. Getting it splashed onto your crisply pressed white shirt? Uh...you'd be fretting about it all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Welll one isn't normally encased in some uncomfortable corporate blue suit when eating at home . Getting tomato sauce accidentally splashed onto your dirty T-shirt at home? No big deal. Getting it splashed onto your crisply pressed white shirt? Uh...you'd be fretting about it all day.
    What about when you go out, nicely dressed, to eat with friends? Do you fret all night that you'll get something on your nice clothes? I think it's silly to fret about such things, that's what napkins are for.

Each to their own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Off topic - but that made me remember something that made me laugh out loud here.................(I'll try to make this quick!)

When I used to do my laundry at my parents' house, I was putting stuff in the washer and my mom saw this red blotch on a sock. She asked me if it was blood. I said no it was tomato sauce. Then I had to explain that I was sitting with my leg up under me on the chair and I bumped my elbow and dropped a blob of ravioli on my foot. Neither one of us was surprised! At least it didn't get on the upholstered chair.

Back to topic (?) - nothing with tomato sauce!!!!!

vCash
    Eat whatever you want if it's such a interview,probably ought to find out soon.If at all possible.I'd eat something before hand in case it isn't. That way you aren't starving,tummy rumbling etc...(rumbling,can you guess I've been around kids/watching Winnie the Pooh too much lol) I would however avoid anything with parsley because that does get stuck in ones teeth alot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Anyone want their own personal assistant to just do whatever you tell me to do all day? Maybe we can work a deal. So would enjoy that versus interviews! :
    Yes, I would love it. I have 2 older sisters so I have never been able to get anyone to do whatever I told them. My husband doesn't mind me either. Unfortunately, I probably can't afford you. And you don't live here. Otherwise it would be perfect.

vCash
    What about when you go out, nicely dressed, to eat with friends? Do you fret all night that you'll get something on your nice clothes? I think it's silly to fret about such things, that's what napkins are for.

Each to their own.
    No, I care less about keeping the suit nice than I care about making an idiot of myself in front of the interviewer. The suit can be dry-cleaned, but I only get one shot at the interview.

I had one interview for grad school where I dropped an entire buttered roll, butter side down, right in my lap. And another where I spilled chicken salad in my lap. Yes, I'm a horribly clumsy eater, especially when I'm nervous Both schools still accepted me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast