Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    In Ladies, yes. But in mens we did quite well with Cranston, Orser, Browning, Stojko and Buttle. Well, Browning was a major contender.

Hope Cynthia enjoys her time with Brian. I think she can learn a lot from him.
    true. and even in ladies, Josee had immense talent--it was just those nerves. IMO, she is one of the most talented skaters to never win a world medal.

I like what you said about enjoying her time with Brian. I love Cynthia and more than anything, I just want her to have fun and rediscover her love for skating. I am excited about this move and can't wait to see Cynthia at Nationals. I have faith in her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I hope you are right Peter.. and I know if I had a child skating in Quebec I would hope they would have the kind of caring coaches that Cynthia has had in her career..the reality is very few skaters make it so i would rather put my child in the hands of a nurturing coach.. there are therapists available to work with skaters on mental strength training - a coach can prepare the skater the best they can but at some point the skater has to take responsibility for their own performance - yet I do agree with the move because sometimes that is all that is needed.. not unlike parents sometimes our own kids ignore what we say but then another parent or coach can say the exact same thing and it works..
    this. great analogy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    this. great analogy.
    Its also what Brian was quoted in so many words as saying. Sometimes the problem is comfort level not skating skill. Cynthia's weakness is definately mental not physical. If she nailed her elements and was reliable, she is so stunning that she could become a star. Hopefully the change works

vCash
    No doubt, Annie is a wonderful coach and she and Cynthia have had a special relationship all these years. But, it's quite clear that what they've been doing has not been working this past year. There is a lot to be said for a change of training environment and the opportunity to train with a fresh coaching perspective and other competitive skaters. Cynthia has the talent to be on the world podium, what she lacks is that aggressive, competitive edge. Joannie developed that edge and the confidence required to compete at the podium level in the last two years of her career. Cynthia is simply not going to make the podium if she does not challenge herself -- her triple jumps are beautiful but the lack of combinations and inconsistent flip and lutz is not enough to win world medals. She needs more technical risk, more speed, programs that show a different -- softer, lighter, but more aggressive style. I'm still hopeful that she can make this happen but she's got some work to do...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    No doubt, Annie is a wonderful coach and she and Cynthia have had a special relationship all these years. But, it's quite clear that what they've been doing has not been working this past year. There is a lot to be said for a change of training environment and the opportunity to train with a fresh coaching perspective and other competitive skaters. Cynthia has the talent to be on the world podium, what she lacks is that aggressive, competitive edge. Joannie developed that edge and the confidence required to compete at the podium level in the last two years of her career. Cynthia is simply not going to make the podium if she does not challenge herself -- her triple jumps are beautiful but the lack of combinations and inconsistent flip and lutz is not enough to win world medals. She needs more technical risk, more speed, programs that show a different -- softer, lighter, but more aggressive style. I'm still hopeful that she can make this happen but she's got some work to do...
    Great points. The one thing i question is speed--Cynthia seems to me to have great speed. I saw her at SC 2010 and she really filled the arena ( and not just with her wonderful presence ) and her speed seems effortless. But i agree with you on the other points--she needs that aggression. It is so nice to see so much support for Cynthia. I hope she knows that she as so many people behind her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Its also what Brian was quoted in so many words as saying. Sometimes the problem is comfort level not skating skill. Cynthia's weakness is definately mental not physical. If she nailed her elements and was reliable, she is so stunning that she could become a star. Hopefully the change works
    Yes!

vCash
    Phaneuf already has it all. The basics, the musicality, the presence, the jumps. She just needs to put it together.

Absolutely love the pre-injury Phaneuf, as well as the Phaenuf who rocked 2010 Worlds. If there is anything she needs to work on besides focus and nerves, it would be choreography IMO. She has next to no purpose in her programs and is always just skating from jump to jump (much like Czisny this season).

vCash
    Can we just have Rochette back? Pretty Please?

vCash
    She does have all the basics, and you are right Bournekraatzfan -- she does have beautiful speed and flow. I just find many of her programs to be heavy and slow -- although her body line, presentation, etc... is beautiful. I think it's a problem with choreography -- perhaps I'm just tired of seeing very similar choreography from her. I would love to see what another choreographer would do to push her out of her comfort zone, create a little fun and lightness in her skating. It's just something I've always wanted to see...

vCash
    She does have all the basics, and you are right Bournekraatzfan -- she does have beautiful speed and flow. I just find many of her programs to be heavy and slow -- although her body line, presentation, etc... is beautiful. I think it's a problem with choreography -- perhaps I'm just tired of seeing very similar choreography from her. I would love to see what another choreographer would do to push her out of her comfort zone, create a little fun and lightness in her skating. It's just something I've always wanted to see...
    This! I believe she is one of Wilson's first major clients. Perhaps that relationship is now getting in the way? It would be interesting to see what someone like Mark Pilay could do for her.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    This! I believe she is one of Wilson's first major clients. Perhaps that relationship is now getting in the way? It would be interesting to see what someone like Mark Pilay could do for her.
    Both her and Jeff Buttle put David Wilson on the map (as well as Sebastien Britten before them).

Chances are, we won't be seeing any change in choreographers while under Orser's tutelage since his skaters almost exclusively work with Wilson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfan22 View Post
    Both her and Jeff Buttle put David Wilson on the map (as well as Sebastien Britten before them).

Chances are, we won't be seeing any change in choreographers while under Orser's tutelage since his skaters almost exclusively work with Wilson.
    Heck, I'd ask Jeff Buttle to choreograph my programs if I were Cynthia!

vCash
    I'd love to see what Michael Siebert could do with her skating, or Phillip Mills. She has an intensity that almost rules out anything cutesy, but it would be nice to see her try something whimsical or playful. She's a striking woman, and I think her presentation relies too much on her "look" on the ice. She's sooooooo controlled and deliberate. Jazz it up a bit!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I watched one ex program of hers and she was very sexy and playful, and adorable, forgot which year, both hers and Joannie's. Joannie is a good skater but not as naturally musical and playful as Cynthia IMO. What I don't like is the empty choreography. I guess it is not the choreographer's fault, more likely because Cynthia couldn't handle a more complex choreography for competition. She has the ability to do so much more choreographically in show numbers. Hopefully she can get the jumps steady and reliable first and then comfortable enough to add more choreograph-transitions to her programs. I think all her programs look alike so far. Hopefully this will change. Good luck!

vCash
    I agree. I never get why people say Cynthia has good choreography. Her programs are essentially empty, just crossovers into jumps and void of any transitions. Plus a flailing footwork sequence. She has good speed, ice coverage, and carriage, but it's a mistake to say her programs are choreographically complex.

vCash
    Canadian champion Cynthia Phaneuf hopes to rediscover love of skating with Orser

She happily reported her first couple of practices were a breath of fresh air.

"It is different. I was so used to the way I was training," she said. "It feels so good to have something new and to train in a different way, and have a fresh start with fresh people. It's different stuff, and that's a very good thing."
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    ah, I see what you mean. I also think she could use more complex choreography, though I think that will come once she feels more confident with her jumps. Who do you think she should work with? I like mag's suggestion of Mark Pilay.

vCash
    I only hope for the best for Cynthia. She has the goods but I do think with her it is all mental. Now I am really looking forward to Canadians. Maybe I'll buy a few tickets!!!
    Last edited by SK8LVR; 11-24-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456