Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    In a French article, it says that Annie thought about a separation with Cynthia in September. From the last few months, they didn't have the chemistry they used too, they didn't have the same opinion, direction about Cynthia's skating...

If you can read French:
    http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hm...17-182723.html
    Thanks, quebecoise.

Hmm, awkward.... Neither of them really elaborates on the differences of opinion that had arisen, though I supposed that's to be expected.

I'm glad Cynthia made the move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Irina had this problem? What season?
    1999, when she would have been 20. According to her wiki page she considered quitting. Christine Brennan attributed it to a changing body. Not that either of those sources are gospel, but I do remember that as early as age 14 the commentators raved about her, then later on there was a period where they were criticizing her for her weight and saying she was all washed up. Of course she was expected to win gold all the time.

vCash
    Considering Annie says that she'd like to have Cynthia coach with her when she retires strongly suggests that they parted on amicable terms. Good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".
    Sorry, I think what had in mind was reports that she'd grown six inches.

vCash
    I'm hopeful that this new coaching relationship with Brian Orser will work out for Cynthia. Wishing them both the best in this collaboration.

vCash
    I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot, but maybe he can get her to the point where she can go out feeling good about herself and having some options as a pro skater. It worked for Rudy Galindo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot...:
    Are you saying that Phaneuf won't make the top 20 at Worlds and therefore Canada will not have any female competitors in 2014? I have some doubts that Phaneuf can make the World podium, even top 5 again, but top 20 is doable for her. As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)
    Last edited by algonquin; 11-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)
    If Joannie skates for the full season before the Olympic year and places 3rd at Worlds and Cynthia places 5th again at Worlds, then Canada will have three ladies at Sochi.

This is my prediction. Bookmark it.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Works for me!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

living every minute
    vCash
    I am just under 5'7" and have stood close to Cynthia with both of us in flat shoes and we're about the same height. She's certainly not more than 5'7".
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".
    ISU bio says 170 cm (5'7") and her Olympics bio says 5'6" (168 cm), and I think she is in this range as she looks around the same height as skaters like Kostner and Makarova, she's maybe 5'9" in her skates but definitely not bare foot. Cynthia is very tall for a skater but there are plenty of other successful singles skaters who are just as tall or nearly as tall. And she is capable of great jumps, it's just consistency that's her issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot, but maybe he can get her to the point where she can go out feeling good about herself and having some options as a pro skater. It worked for Rudy Galindo.
    Well who elsein ladies skating in Canada would beat her? That is the real tragedy...Joaannie we neeeeeeed you back!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If Joannie skates for the full season before the Olympic year and places 3rd at Worlds and Cynthia places 5th again at Worlds, then Canada will have three ladies at Sochi.

vbookie........... I see at least 3 different bets in your forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Well who elsein ladies skating in Canada would beat her? That is the real tragedy...Joaannie we neeeeeeed you back!!!
    Cynthia just needs to get it together, and as much as I'd love to see Joannie skate competitively again, if she never does that's ok. Going to Orser is a good start, will give her a new way of looking at her skating again.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I hope you are right Peter.. and I know if I had a child skating in Quebec I would hope they would have the kind of caring coaches that Cynthia has had in her career..the reality is very few skaters make it so i would rather put my child in the hands of a nurturing coach.. there are therapists available to work with skaters on mental strength training - a coach can prepare the skater the best they can but at some point the skater has to take responsibility for their own performance - yet I do agree with the move because sometimes that is all that is needed.. not unlike parents sometimes our own kids ignore what we say but then another parent or coach can say the exact same thing and it works..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Are you saying that Phaneuf won't make the top 20 at Worlds and therefore Canada will not have any female competitors in 2014? I have some doubts that Phaneuf can make the World podium, even top 5 again, but top 20 is doable for her. As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)
    That's a lot of pressure to put on a 23 year-old who is struggling with self-confidence and consistency. The Olympics are still two years away. Better to set more obtainable short-term goals. Not saying she can't do it or shouldn't try, but time is not on her side. It would be a shame if she left skating feeling like a failure after all the years she put in.

I think Skate Canada would do better to focus on getting some of the young ones up to speed.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Even if Pfaneuf did not make the cut-off for the Olympics by having her worst showing at Worlds since Moscow in 2005, there's also the Olympic qualifying competition in Fall 2013 for the last six or so spots.

Or to put in another perspective, Amelie Lacoste placed 16th at her first trip to Worlds coming in as a late substitute for an injured Myriam Samson.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Although I'm thrilled that Cynthia has finally switched coaches (she should have done this years ago!), i think it may be too late. She tends to do well at Nats and that's about it. Reminds me a lot of Josee unfortunately.

I've been trying to get back into the Canadian ladies skating since the Olympics and honestly, without Joannie, i simply can't watch. Our ladies have been abysmal all season long and we went from having 2 spots for so many years to one. I'm not saying that Amelie Lacoste or Myriam Samson are not as good; however, our ladies are as inconsistent as they've ever been but it was hidden by having such a strong competitor in Joannie.

i'm praying that she comes back next season and i'm sure Skate Canada are talking to her about coming back. Whatever she decides, i'll respect. I think that the sad part is that in 2 years since the Olympics, we really have not had anyone really step up to plate and continued what Joannie has started. i'm not sure if it has to do with the skater development program because I know there is tons of talent there, but we need to find a remedy.

vCash
    This story was mentioned briefly yesterday on CBC's coverage of TEB. Brian made a nice statement complimenting Annie's work with Cynthia and saying that Cynthia just needed a change. (Sorry, i don't have the exact quote and I had to delete it right after I watched it since my pvr was literally 100% full )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Although I'm thrilled that Cynthia has finally switched coaches (she should have done this years ago!), i think it may be too late. She tends to do well at Nats and that's about it. Reminds me a lot of Josee unfortunately.

I've been trying to get back into the Canadian ladies skating since the Olympics and honestly, without Joannie, i simply can't watch. Our ladies have been abysmal all season long and we went from having 2 spots for so many years to one. I'm not saying that Amelie Lacoste or Myriam Samson are not as good; however, our ladies are as inconsistent as they've ever been but it was hidden by having such a strong competitor in Joannie.

i'm praying that she comes back next season and i'm sure Skate Canada are talking to her about coming back. Whatever she decides, i'll respect. I think that the sad part is that in 2 years since the Olympics, we really have not had anyone really step up to plate and continued what Joannie has started. i'm not sure if it has to do with the skater development program because I know there is tons of talent there, but we need to find a remedy.
    it took joannie a long time to get to the level where she was at. moreover, canada hasn't been known to develop one olympic medalist immediately after the other. before joannie, our last olympic medalist was in 1988.
    Last edited by iggie; 11-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    canada hasn't been known to develop one olympic medalist immediately after the other. before joannie, our last olympic medalist was in 1988.
    In Ladies, yes. But in mens we did quite well with Cranston, Orser, Browning, Stojko and Buttle. Well, Browning was a major contender.

Hope Cynthia enjoys her time with Brian. I think she can learn a lot from him.
    Last edited by KatieC; 11-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast