Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Cynthia has the motivation for an Olympic medal in the team event. She has to know that ladies is Team Canada's weak link and pressure will be on her not to dissolve on the ice.

I'm happy to see a Canadian skater actually train with Orser. What took so long? Reynolds should head out east too.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm surprised that considering last season she was practically a world medalist, that some people have such negative views...
    It looks like a fluke in the context of the rest of her career, and last year, she needed a top 12 finish for two spots for Canadian women.

I think that if Czisny could do it -- and her technique was more flawed to start -- so can Pfaneuf.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I wish her well, and I hope no one expects a miracle too fast, like this year, it might take a while for her to get used to things, new city, new rink, new coach, if not this year, then next?

vCash
    Thank the lord! While it may be too late I'd rather she give it a shot, then just have it all fizzle out with no attempt at all. I give her credit and I hope Orser is hard on her because that is exactly what she needs. Question is can she handle it? I think she can I think she's finally ready. Better late than never. Go Cynthia!

vCash
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I know it seems that Orser is the Flavor of the Month among coaches (or he was until Yuka came along,) but I think he and Phaneuf are truly a good match. She's needed to make a change for years Here's hoping it's not too late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I've always been fond of Cynthia and have enjoyed some of her performances, so I hope this works out for her.
    This.

I am hopeful that Cynthia will have great success after this change.

vCash
    I hope that she has the support she'll need to get through this change after the euphoria wears off. It's a big move and a massive challenge in all facets of life.

I agree with Louis that this will make or break her. I'm hoping for the make, and a long successful career!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    About time!! I loved that she stayed with Annie through all the ups and downs. But it was time for a change. I wish her the best

vCash
    She's like the most beautiful skater. I hope that indeed she has not waited too long. I do agree though that her skating is not her biggest problem. The head game was. Wait. let me rephrase. Her lack of control over nerves is what has costed her. Her skating is always lovely to see

vCash
    Kudos to her! I hope this is the change she needs to improve her skating.

vCash
    Something had to be changed for Cynthia, the status quo wasn't working anymore. For her the answer was a change of coaches. As a Canadian I really do hope she can get her self-confidence back in her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I wish her well, and I hope no one expects a miracle too fast, like this year, it might take a while for her to get used to things, new city, new rink, new coach, if not this year, then next?
    I admire the work that Bryan has done and feel for Cynthia - for all she's been through and the rough competitions she's had lately.

Okay, go ahead and give me bad rep

But I don't expect a whole lot. Although Cynthia's had a few great moments, I just don't think she's that good - or not as good as she was nor going to be that good again. Her star shone briefly when she was a teenager - excepting her wonderful FS at Worlds in 2010, her performances haven't been outstanding the past few seasons. Yes, she was solid at 2011 Nats and I too gave her a huge round of applause. But it wasn't a top-five World Championship Skate.

I think there is no comparison between Cynthia and Alissa, there is more to work with in Allissa's case. I certainly hope Bryan can help Cynthia but have to wonder if he really wanted to take her on or felt he owned it to Skate Canada. He's a coach, not a magician.

It's one thing to train a woman with Cynthia's strengths and weakness - or to train a Christina Gao - and entirely another to train a woman who is expected to be not only be Canadian Champion, but also redeem the Canadian ladies' field, and just doesn't seem up to the task.

I wish them both well, but what intense pressure for both of them.

In the meantime, I'm hoping another Canadian lady will show up and steal the show at Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    ...In the meantime, I'm hoping another Canadian lady will show up and steal the show at Nationals.
    I too wish Cynthia the best of luck. I have always enjoyed her skating and it would be great to see her put two great programs together at Worlds this year. That said, I'm not sure who is going to steal the show at Nationals this year. Is there really anyone who could?

At the BC/YT Sections there were some great skates at the Pre-Novice and Novice levels, but there are often great skates at this level - heck, even the Juvenile champion was amazing. The Pre-Novice champion looks like she will age well, but the Novice and Juvenile are very young and very small. We just don't seem to be able to keep talent developing through the Senior ranks.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya overcame this problem, but Cynthia looks tall as well as big to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya
    Irina had this problem? What season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Irina had this problem? What season?
    97, 98, 99

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya overcame this problem, but Cynthia looks tall as well as big to me.
    It happens to a lot of skaters, but I think Cynthia growing so tall (for a skater) made it even more difficult than for some of the other skaters. She still HAS the jumps though, they are just inconsistent. Seeing Mirai bounce back from a growthspurt that reeked havoc on her jumps (even now, she has filled out considerably since that season, but her jumps are much better than in 08-09 when they pretty much abandoned her completely) makes me think Cynthia can do it, and even Caroline Zhang is making a pretty convincing comeback after drastic body changes and having bad jump technique to begin with, making her jumps bigger and better than before without losing a bunch of weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    It happens to a lot of skaters, but I think Cynthia growing so tall (for a skater) made it even more difficult than for some of the other skaters. She still HAS the jumps though, they are just inconsistent. Seeing Mirai bounce back from a growthspurt that reeked havoc on her jumps (even now, she has filled out considerably since that season, but her jumps are much better than in 08-09 when they pretty much abandoned her completely) makes me think Cynthia can do it, and even Caroline Zhang is making a pretty convincing comeback after drastic body changes and having bad jump technique to begin with, making her jumps bigger and better than before without losing a bunch of weight.
    Cynthia is 5'6" so her growth spurt was huge. I don't think Mira's and Zhang's were comparable. And while Zhang is making a come-back (some might say) she's not expected to be American champion. Mirai certainly wants to contend, but she also doesn't have the kind of pressure that Cynthia does.

vCash
    In a French article, it says that Annie thought about a separation with Cynthia in September. From the last few months, they didn't have the chemistry they used too, they didn't have the same opinion, direction about Cynthia's skating...

If you can read French:
    http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hm...17-182723.html

vCash
    There's no way Cynthia is 5'6". She's probably 5'7" or even 5'8".

vCash
    She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast