Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    When in doubt, seek Brian out. At least she hasn't gone to Morozov (yet).
    Bite your tongue!!!! Good luck to her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Of course I'm only going by what I observed in practice, at the boards and around competitions, but I always had the impression that Cynthia was treated like a little princess in that camp, and coddled too much.
    I wonder if this could be a problem in general in Annie's camp.

This has always been my impression of how Jessica Dube is treated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maggylyn View Post
    I wonder if this could be a problem in general in Annie's camp.

This has always been my impression of how Jessica Dube is treated.
    That is my impression as well. Another reason to look forward to Canadians, seeing how Phanuef progresses in the next two months.

vCash
    WOW, I am completely shocked that she is FINALLY making a change. It's long overdue and I didn't think it would ever happen. Good for her.

Honestly, I didn't think she had the motivation in her but I'm glad to be wrong. I just hope she follows through and really honestly listens to Brian and makes real changes in her training, etc.

I had written her off, but now I will look forward to seeing what Brian can do. If Brian can turn this around for her he will deserve some sort of award.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I'm shocked she's left Barabe. But good for herfodoing so. Though I suspect it's too late. She should have done this years ago IMO (same goes for Jessica Dube).

I think Barabe is way too coddling/mothering of her students and they haven't really shown any improvement in their skating in *years*.

I also hope Orser will make her get new costumes. Her LP costume is beyond hideous.

I'm wondering if this move was instigated by Cynthia herself, Wilson or Skate Canada?
    I am also very curious to know if this with Cynthia's own idea or someone else's. If I was Skate Canada, I definitely would have been giving her some "suggestions".

vCash
    Alissa Czisny was just about Cynthia's age when she went to Dunjeon/Sato. Let's just hope Orser can do to Cynthia what Dunjeon did to Czisny.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    Alissa Czisny was just about Cynthia's age when she went to Dunjeon/Sato. Let's just hope Orser can do to Cynthia what Dunjeon did to Czisny.
    It's spelled Dungjen, and it's not just "what [he] did to Czisny" - Sato has an equal role in coaching her too.

I'm glad she is making the coaching change - I too got the impression she was being coddled, which may have worked in the past but doesn't seem to be working now. She seems like a smart and thoughtful skater, and being in a new environment with different input may be the spark she needs.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It's going to be very interesting. It seems as if she has a lot of the materials to do well but can't put it together!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Dear Cynthia,

Sometimes we have rough years. 2011 has been one of yours (although being 13th best in the world is something most of us aspire to!!). Congrats on making a serious change, can't wait to see you on the podium. Just wondering which colour will be around your neck.

Best wishes,

PeterG

From the article:

Over the past few years, she has been making a comeback, and she finally hit her stride when she finished fifth at the world championships in Turin in 2010. She was only 1.08 points away from winning a bronze medal.
    I'm surprised that considering last season she was practically a world medalist, that some people have such negative views...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    HALLELUJAH ! ! ! ! ! !

I never thought this would happen but it's just about the ONLY thing that could allow her to finally reach her potential. Best of luck to you, Cynthia.
    Exactly the words that came out of my mouth when I saw this thread. I wish she'd made this move sooner, but at least she's going to give it a good shot.

Wishing her nothing but the best, as I always have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Also not sure how much input Brian will put in costumes.
    Compare Adam Rippon's costume last year at Skate Canada to this year's - urrrm costume at Skate Canada.

I can't believe this! Such good news IMO. I was totally shocked to read this as I didn't think anyone ever left Annie Barabe.

But then when I thought about it I had to take into account that this was a person who fought back through a growth spurt and injuries and many disappointments for how many years before coming close to what she accomplished as a 16 year old? I am a very determined person - but I don't know if I could have done that.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I'm surprised that considering last season she was practically a world medalist, that some people have such negative views...
    I guess the best way to respond to that is to say that even Sandhu had his moments...
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    When in doubt, seek Brian out. At least she hasn't gone to Morozov (yet).
    Well I hope it never come to that The last thing I would wanna see is cynthia getting worn out hand me down pirates and requiem for a dream programs

But i'm glad for her, i've always liked Cynthia, and while im not sure if she will ever be top 5 in the world again(please prove me wrong!!!), I hope she finds joy in her skating again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    It's not so much her skating....it's her "head" that's the problem. Microwave popcorn doesn't pop as much as she does. I hope he can teach her to control her nerves. I really would like to see her skate to her potential.
    Best quote I have seen in awhile! =D I think this move can be good for her, but I've noticed how many people have commented on her being unable to hit under pressure.

I don't think this is the real issue here, I have personally seen her skate a few times in practice, and it doesn't seem like she was too consistent on the jumps in practice either. The strangest thing though, is that she has good jump technique, and I can't think of any other reason other than it is a mental issue not only in competition where there is pressure, but also during practice. Of course, in competition with pressure, it just compounds, and gets even worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    It's not so much her skating....it's her "head" that's the problem. Microwave popcorn doesn't pop as much as she does. I hope he can teach her to control her nerves. I really would like to see her skate to her potential.
    I don't think it's just her head. Her technique could use some work too.

Barabe and Richard seem totally clueless.

Remember Shawn Sawyer's jumps? Especially his axel?

And Dube/Davison's elements? Etc.

B & R seem likely really lovely warm people and I would probably want them as my friends but surely not my coaches.

vCash
    I've always been fond of Cynthia and have enjoyed some of her performances, so I hope this works out for her.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't think it's just her head. Her technique could use some work too.

Barabe and Richard seem totally clueless.

B & R seem likely really lovely warm people and I would probably want them as my friends but surely not my coaches.
    Exactly. I have always, always wondered what Shawn could have done if he'd changed coaches after 06. He had it all, including the work ethic, but...He's now on the list of one the best skaters Canada had that never reached the Podium at Worlds.

At SC in Kitchener-Waterloo a couple of years ago, I went to the Meet and Greet w/Cynthia and Amelie (I think?) and after getting my picture taken w/the two of them, I wished Cynthia good luck in Vancouver at the Olympics and she said to me, "Well, I hope I'm there." and w/a great amount of nervousness in her voice too. I was just leaving, but turned around and...Well...I told her off a wee bit.

Not in a nasty way of course, but I told her if she wanted to be there, she needed to believe it. We, her fans, believed in her and she needed to start believing in herself too.

I really hope this step helps her out in that department, because if there's any coach out there now who had their own Demons in the nerves dept to battle, it's Brian. I truly hope this helps her. I just wish Cynthia had done it earlier is all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

I've been thinking this for a while now - that Annie has had very talented skaters in mens, ladies and pairs, but all have gone just so far, then shown inconsistency and struggled with confidence.

I'm so glad to see Cynthia trying a different coach - better late than never. Maybe it will encourage Dube/Wolfe to do the same at some point.

vCash
    Hope they both have great success!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Wishing Cynthia all the best It's never too late when the mind is determined. She has the ability and with Brians help she can get the mind set.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast