Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Perhaps a new set of eyes and coaching will help Phaneuf, but I think she mainly needs to find the motivation within to succeed. I wish her luck on her new journey though.
    Agree, but this is an excellent first step at least - she wouldn't uproot herself at this point in her career if she didn't care. Good news!

vCash
    Wonderful news!

vCash
    Great news! Orser has helped Gede a lot with consistency since she switched, hopefully he can do the same for Cynthia!

vCash
    Orser will do wonders for Phaneuf

Spoiler

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Brian is all kinds of awesome. But I have my doubts about Cynthia.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Cynthia has the motivation for an Olympic medal in the team event. She has to know that ladies is Team Canada's weak link and pressure will be on her not to dissolve on the ice.

I'm happy to see a Canadian skater actually train with Orser. What took so long? Reynolds should head out east too.

vCash
    Put me in the camp that thinks Brian will be good a good fit for her.

vCash
    I hope this works for her but I do too think this change should have been made long time ago, hopefully a new style and approach to her skating can be done under Brian´s coaching

vCash
    Have to say I’m utterly shocked by this decision, but good for her to finally make a move! Was wondering why Annie wasn’t with her this past weekend at NHK.

Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I think she waited a bit too long, but you never know.
    I know……she’s 23 already, tough to change your training habits at that age, especially when you’ve only had one coach your entire career. Josee Chouinard was a similar age when left Quebec for Toronto and had mixed results. Some coments from Josee shortly after the move: http://www.kurtfiles.com/articles/ar...?id=90&cat=SOI

Chouinard credited her decision to leave her home in Quebec and relocate in Toronto with new coach Louis Stong for much of her success. Stong also coaches Preston, which many people felt made for an awkward situation.

"It hasn't been an easy year for me," said Chouinard. "But the fact I moved helped me focus more on my skating. It proved I was very determined and I made a new friend in Karen."
    BTW, a big thank you to Teenes for keeping such an amazing archive. This article was a fun trip down memory lane!
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

moving right along
    vCash
    Hmmmmm....I've been fed up to here with Cynthia's failure to compete. But, hey, I had the same disdain for Gedevanishvilli and, in my estimation, SHE has turned it around completely and skates like a new woman. Bravo, Elena.

If Brian has the same success with Phaneuff, he's a miracle worker. Go Brian!

(at least he gives me a reason to watch Phaneuff instead of using her time on the ice as my bathroom break)

vCash
    When in doubt, seek Brian out. At least she hasn't gone to Morozov (yet).
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Dear Mr. Orser,

While working on Cynthia's training habits and jump technique under pressure might be a top priority, might I also make a small costume-related suggestion? Please ban all sleeveless dresses with chokers from Cynthia's wardrobe. They make her look like she has no neck, questionable posture and linebacker-sized shoulders.
    I also felt they acted like self-fulfilling prophecies every time she'd ...well...choke in one of her programs
    Last edited by ioana; 11-17-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    It has always seemed to me that Barabe et al have taken a gentle, "motherly" approach with Cynthia.

I have a feeling that Orser will either break her or fix her. And at this stage in her career that's probably OK.

vCash
    I'm shocked she's left Barabe. But good for her for doing so. Though I suspect it's too late. She should have done this years ago IMO (same goes for Jessica Dube).

I think Barabe is way too coddling/mothering of her students and they haven't really shown any improvement in their skating in *years*.

I also hope Orser will make her get new costumes. Her LP costume is beyond hideous.

I'm wondering if this move was instigated by Cynthia herself, Wilson or Skate Canada?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Fabulous news. Agree with many that her head's the issue, but I think finally cutting Annie's apron strings is a very positive step in that regard.

Of course I'm only going by what I observed in practice, at the boards and around competitions, but I always had the impression that Cynthia was treated like a little princess in that camp, and coddled too much. Hopefully Brian will bring out the athlete and competitor in her, while David retains the charm and personality that put her on the map int he first place.

Can't wait to see the results.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Louis and Rafter we were posting at the same time - looks like we're all in agreement!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    As far as choreography goes she will still be working with Wilson so I don't see much change there in the future. Also not sure how much input Brian will put in costumes. But if she starts skating like she actually enjoys it and stops choking the choreography and costumes might become more impressive.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    As far as choreography goes she will still be working with Wilson so I don't see much change there in the future. Also not sure how much input Brian will put in costumes. But if she starts skating like she actually enjoys it and stops choking the choreography and costumes might become more impressive.
    It has been my understanding, in part based on interviews on TV with her, that Cynthia designs her own costumes. That could be a challenge but Brian was quoted regarding costume design for Fernandez so perhaps we may see some modification.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Hopefully. Her look is too severe which might work if she was gutsy and attacked her programs but since she doesn't...
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    It has always seemed to me that Barabe et al have taken a gentle, "motherly" approach with Cynthia.

I have a feeling that Orser will either break her or fix her. And at this stage in her career that's probably OK.
    I agree. Making such a big change at this point in her career takes guts - good for Cynthia!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast