vCash

Rise the Movie on DVD....But guess what you get?!!!

Just wanted to announce that "Rise The Movie" is now on DVD at http://www.rise1961dvd.com. But...that's not all!!!...You also get...for the first time ever on DVD!!!....After 60 years....a copy of the 1961 NATIONALS!!!! AKA....Figure Skatings TV Davue!!! Sorry for my misspelling. I can only say too that somebody was smart to transfer IT to DVD!!!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I understand the Nationals is just what was shown on tv at the time, not the whole event, but it is still a very nice addition to the DVD and a wonderful way to remember the skaters.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I wish USFS would do this with all the old U.S. Nationals. I got the 1961 event and love it. I would definitely buy more of these if they were sold. And while we're at it, I'd kill to get those Peggy Fleming T.V. specials from the 60's and 70's.

vCash
    BTW. it's probalily hard to tell now. But does anyone know if when that was shown,if the TV. station edited and even showed 1/2 Donkey programing for that? Also,am I right at assuming that the 1961 Nationals was also the Davue Competition for all young Skaters as well (the first competition ever to have Skaters edited from it for TV,because they were not liked).

vCash
    I believe that 1960 olys was the first skating comp ever shown on us tv.
    They, like '61 nats and most comps up until the 80s never even pretended to be full coverage or anything more than a "best of" showing of a few skaters who did well.

This was a big improvement over newsreels and news coverage which would just show a clip of the medalists' programs. Seeing carol heiss' entire free skate was a big jump from just seeing 2 or 3 30 second clips from tenley albright's.

Was Michael Chack the first skated to get "chacked"?

vCash
    I wonder if there is any way to find out WHO got edited from the 1961 Nationals.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    See this article titled "Retrospective: 1961 US Figure Skating Championships": http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/a...ationals.shtml
    CBS didn't show Laurie and William Hickox, the third-place [pair] team who were also killed in the plane crash.
    The CBS broadcast didn't include the [ice dance] bronze medalists who were killed in the plane crash, Patricia and Robert Dineen. They were a married couple rather than brother and sister.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    Do we have a complete list of qualifiers by Discipline?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Do we have a complete list of qualifiers by Discipline?
    There is a 1961 Nationals results list on Wikipedia that appears to be reliable since one of the references cited is "The 1961 United States Championships", Skating magazine, April 1961: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Un..._Championships

vCash
    Will all the music be the originals used in 1961? Because that is the biggest obstacle to releasing yearly DVDs of the competition -- the music rights are way too expensive.