Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ross Miner: "... the men's sold out in three minutes after they put up the tickets.."

(Ross Miner, right after winning the bronze at NHK):

"It's AMAZING to skate in Japan, with a sold-out stadium. I don't think there's a seat left. I heard that the men's sold out in three minutes after they put up the tickets. That's incredible.

"It's so cool to come here and have fans that are so knowledgeable about skating, and also so polite. It's great to come to Japan."

Well it's good to know that skating is thriving somewhere, especially after witnessing first-hand the dismal turnout in Ontario for Skate America.

vCash
    I wish skating was as popular here :|

vCash
    What was the cost of tickets in Japan as compared to the cost in the US?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Or compared to the cost in Canada considering the highway robbery that is the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships...

vCash
    How big should a venue be for an American skating event if you want to put people in seats? How big was the NHK venue?

vCash
    Here is what I found:

NHK 2011

Arena 12,000 yen ($156) $1= 77 yen
    SS 11,000 yen ($143)
    S 8,000 yen ($104)
    A 5,000 yen ($65)
    B 3,000 yen ($39)

3-year-old and up needed a ticket.
    Younger than 3 were not allowed to attend.

Skate America 2011

Gold Ticket $30-$40
    Silver Ticket $20-$30
    12years and Under $15

They also had "Buy 4 tickets and get 4 Free tickets for Men's FS" deal
    Last edited by ChibiChibi; 11-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    How big was the NHK venue?
    according to Wiki, venue holds about 11500.
    Last edited by yukky; 11-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    How big should a venue be for an American skating event if you want to put people in seats? How big was the NHK venue?
    I don't think the problem is so much the size of the venue but the location. Why did the USFSA choose Ontario, when it doesn't seem to have been able to draw on a local audience? Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Well in all fairness to Ontario California (my home town), the event was not advertised to the masses.

And I totally understand why... The cost of advertising in California is ridiculous. Who could afford to advertise it? And from what I have heard, when events are held at Staples Center, AEG chips in with some advertising $$. I doubt Citizens Bank Arena would do the same, and certainly not on the same scale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Well in all fairness to Ontario California (my home town), the event was not advertised to the masses.

And I totally understand why... The cost of advertising in California is ridiculous. Who could afford to advertise it? And from what I have heard, when events are held at Staples Center, AEG chips in with some advertising $$. I doubt Citizens Bank Arena would do the same, and certainly not on the same scale.
    Your post is a good argument NOT to hold an event in Ontario.
    Cats have a way of finding the people who need them...filling an emptiness they don't even know they have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicecardshark View Post
    Well it's good to know that skating is thriving somewhere, especially after witnessing first-hand the dismal turnout in Ontario for Skate America.
    I blame the dismal turnout in Ontario at Skate America on USFSA and abysmal judgment. You don't put two major skating events in the same state within a three month period and for that matter in a very expensive state. And, if you count Four Continents, that makes 3 US-based events in the west in less than a four month period. People who live on the East Coast get slammed three times in a row, if they would even think of attending more than one of those. People start to revolt at some point.

Although it may be pure speculation on my part, I believe that they put Evan at the forefront of their marketing campaign, believing that featuring the reigning Olympic champion at the helm would pull in unprecedented crowds. Well, they guessed wrong. I also believe that in their financial arrangements with Evan, they guaranteed him a certain level of appearance fee. My further speculation was that given how the wind was blowing with SA ticket sales, they indicated that they couldn't compensate him at that level which caused him to pull out.

There hasn't been anyone since Michelle Kwan and possibly Brian Boitano who was an automatic draw and US Figure Skating should learn that. If there is in the future, then that person would be as close to the Messiah.

vCash
    When I went to NHK in 2009, the cost for the entire package ran me about $500. Of course, some of the difference was due to the exchange rate because the yen was so strong. I have no idea how much NHK prices were this year.

vCash
    Also, Japan has some true bona fide STARS right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiChibi View Post
    Here is what I found:

NHK 2011

Arena 12,000 yen ($156) $1= 77 yen
    SS 11,000 yen ($143)
    S 8,000 yen ($104)
    A 5,000 yen ($65)
    B 3,000 yen ($39)

Skate America 2011

Gold Ticket $30-$40
    Silver Ticket $20-$30
    12years and Under $15

They also had "Buy 4 tickets and get 4 Free tickets for Men's FS" deal
    I think that's sad.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).
    Chicago would be a great place to hold an event: easy to get to, tons of fans from the area and a few hours beyond. But Chicago never gets events because, I'm assuming, no club or LOC wants to do it.
    Last edited by manleywoman; 11-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiChibi View Post

"Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I don't think the problem is so much the size of the venue but the location. Why did the USFSA choose Ontario, when it doesn't seem to have been able to draw on a local audience? Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).
    Maybe because Ontario was the only city that bid on the event!!! I don't know that for sure, but in the past few years the cities that bid are few and far between. I also think USFSA is trying to place events in the smaller arenas.

vCash
    I don't know how much tickets usually cost in the US, but they aren't cheap in Japan, that's for sure. I paid 44000 yen for 4 days at Japanese Nationals last year (about 570 US$ at today's rate) and I didn't even have the most expensive tickets. They sold out in a few minutes, too - though quite a few people only showed up for the last group of men/ladies and didn't bother watching the pair and ice dancers.
    Last edited by Celine82; 11-15-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siggy View Post
    I also think USFSA is trying to place events in the smaller arenas.
    That doesn't necessarily mean going to a small(er) city. There are quite a few large US cities/metro areas that have a big arena *and* smaller arena(s). So USFS could hold the event in a smaller arena while drawing on the population base and the amenities of a big city.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).
    Or ask Spokane to do it again. Spokane sold out compulsory dance at US Nationals. Let me re-type it again: COMPULSORY DANCE, for crying out loud.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast