Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    shhhhhhhhhhhhh
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I firmly believe that people should be able to spend their money however they choose (as long at is legal).

Having said that................REALLY? There is a point at which it is just silly. A point at which it doesn't get better, it just gets stupid. How do you even appreciate that, and why would you. It is a bath! It is a toilet! Come on!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I firmly believe that people should be able to spend their money however they choose (as long at is legal).
    Which is different than moral, right?

vCash
    ^ ^way different in my book. I am not sure what you are referring to. Did you have something spicific in mind?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post

Money discussion aside, this definitely is the most amazing photograph I've ever seen. Incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Money discussion aside, this definitely is the most amazing photograph I've ever seen. Incredible.
    Seriously?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I wouldn't hang that photo in my house if they gave it to me for free.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Seriously?
    That loud, continuous ringing we're hearing? Could be our sarcasm detectors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes, seriously.

The composition is perfect.

The austere, almost desolate landscape is haunting (you'd never believe it was Rhein).

When I look at it, I feel like it's drawing me in (which says as much about my need for medication as the photograph, I know ).

Plus everything that was quoted in the article.

Stunning, stunning, stunning.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 11-17-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I seriously like it too. Love the deceptively simple lines and the contrasting textures of the water, grass and sky. Lovely.

I'd put it on my wall- but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it though. But then my art budget doesn't run into the millions.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I seriously like it too. Love the deceptively simple lines and the contrasting textures of the water, grass and sky. Lovely.
    Yes, that's the main punch of it. You said it much better than I could.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I'd put it on my wall- but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it though. But then my art budget doesn't run into the millions.
    I don't have space big enough in my flat to hang it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    A $2.00 drugstore enema would probably make him feel much better than sitting in a 1.74 mil bathtub.

I honestly believe that if I had $1.74 million to spend on a bathtub, I'd give most of it away. I might spent some thousands on a really nice bathroom, but I don't know that I could justify buying a bathtub at the price.

I'm not particularly altruistic and don't think that people with way more more money than they could ever spend should be congratulated for being great humanitarians when they share a piece of their too-large pie with the poor or disadvantaged.

It just wouldn't make sense to me to spend that much on a bathtub, it would seem a total waste of money that could be better used elsewhere.

But having lots of $$ seems to changes people's perspectives on such things.

vCash
    It's all relative.

We all live in our own insular universes.

I mean what's normal spending for me (buying a donut when I feel like it) is irrensponsible and wasteful spending for people who really don't have any money (I whine about not having any money all the time but let's face it, I'm not starving).

vCash
    It's all relative.

We all live in our own insular universes.

I mean what's normal spending for me (buying a donut when I feel like it) is irrensponsible and wasteful spending for people who really don't have any money (I whine about not having any money all the time but let's face it, I'm not starving).
    It is and it isn't relative. I'm not an aesthetic and have no interest in taking a vow of poverty like Mother Theresa. But having enough food to eat and buying a donut for a treat isn't the same as spending over a million on a bathtub. One doesn't need to suffer to share with those who have less (and going without a donut is indeed suffering .

But there is a point where spending money not only becomes excessive and greedy, but also pointless and lacking in the reward of joy.

How much happiness is this bathtub going to bring you, really? Reason enough to get up in the morning and feel good about yourself?

There is a point where sharing the wealth would bring more happiness. I would say this bathtub is that point - not a donut or a good home-cooked lamb dinner (one of my indulgences).

vCash
    I agree with you but that's precisely what is relative.

Once you become accustomed to something, it's extremely hard to let go.

The bath tub is obviously an extreme example.

I remember reading a great article about a couple who made a decision to live on a very small budget and donate all the other money they earn to charity.

They decided for example to only eat out once a month, etc.

In the comments, people pointed out that the vast majority of people earn way less than that couple do.

vCash
    Yes, seriously.

The composition is perfect.
    You must enjoy stripes . It's one that certainly breaks just about all the rules of composition, which I suppose is some kind of statement in itself; not sure that adds up to perfect composition however. I'm not even sure that it's sharp, although that might just be a result of the low-res version in the article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    You must enjoy stripes . It's one that certainly breaks just about all the rules of composition, which I suppose is some kind of statement in itself; not sure that adds up to perfect composition however. I'm not even sure that it's sharp, although that might just be a result of the low-res version in the article.
    The actual photograph is huge, 6-by-11 feet. So we really can't judge the merit of the picture by the article. I image it's one of those pictures that looks boring in an article or a book, but is absolutely overwhelming when you're standing in front of it. I actually thought that about Van Gogh's sunflowers. Did not understand it's true artistic value, until I saw the original painting. It was a real wow moment.
    But back on topic, it's still a photograph. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just reprint it over and over again if you kept the negative. It'll should have the exact quality and resolution.

vCash
    So what kind of gemstones were used? That was a useless article.

I really hated that they pointed out the money should have been donated to charity instead. How do we know this person doesn't do that as well? If you have billions, what's 1.8 million? (Of course, the person may be a horrible miser, who knows.)

It certainly not how I would spend my hypothetical billions, but I'm imagining that 1.8 billion went to a number of workers, who are probably really happy that the rich fool was parted with his money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It certainly not how I would spend my hypothetical billions, but I'm imagining that 1.8 billion went to a number of workers, who are probably really happy that the rich fool was parted with his money.
    Yeah, I am sure that the craftsmen who created the bathtub got the significant percentage of that 1.8 million. Not.

More like 5$ per hour probably. Or less if it was made in China.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    But back on topic, it's still a photograph. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just reprint it over and over again if you kept the negative. It'll should have the exact quality and resolution.
    These days, it would be a digital image so it wouldn't even degrade over time or based on how many prints were made.... but prints from a negative do degrade the negative (as does time) so that the 100th print won't be as stunning as the 1st print.

This is why photographers who sell their work as 'art' will sign and number their prints so you know how many others are out there... the more prints made, the less each individual print is worth.

Yeah, I am sure that the craftsmen who created the bathtub got the significant percentage of that 1.8 million. Not.

More like 5$ per hour probably. Or less if it was made in China.
    I suspect this is the sort of item that is designed and made by one person. Obviously, I could be wrong about that. But often that's part of what makes the price so high. If it was made by political prisoners in China on an assembly line, I doubt it could fetch that kind of price. Being "one of a kind" is part of the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    So what kind of gemstones were used? That was a useless article.
    It definitely was useless! I want to know so many things none of which were mentioned in the article and all of which would be much more interesting than all that whining over what the money could have been spent on instead.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast