Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Skater Mervin Tran mulls turning Japanese

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...53371c24df.831

"I'm seriously considering (seeking Japanese nationality) for this season to see how it goes," Tran said.

vCash
    Turning Japanese

Tom Monroe version

Naturalization

The Minister of Justice must approve any application for naturalization in order for it to occur. Review of an application generally takes about one year.

The criteria for naturalization are provided in Article 5 of the Nationality Act:

Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more
    At least 21 years old and otherwise legally competent
    History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior
    Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself
    Stateless or willing to renounce foreign citizenship

The Minister of Justice may waive the age and residence requirements if the applicant has a special relationship to Japan (for example, a Japanese parent).

The Nationality Act also provides that the Diet of Japan may confer Japanese nationality by special resolution to a person who has provided extraordinary service to Japan. However, this provision has never been invoked.
    So how does Tran plan to get around the residence requirement? Waiver or legislation? Neither one of them seems like a realistic option.

vCash
    Well, I think Tran could fall under that category of having a "special relationship to Japan."

He will most certainly NOT be alone in this endeavor. I'm sure JSF will back him up all the way...they want a pair in Sochi, for sure.

vCash
    Regardless of what happens regarding the citizenship issue, I hope Takahashi and Tran stay together! I just discovered them, and I'm liking what I see!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, I think Tran could fall under that category of having a "special relationship to Japan."
    He doesn't. The example that is given is of someone having a Japanese parent. This suggests strongly that this category pertains only to those of Japanese lineage.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He doesn't. The example that is given is of someone having a Japanese parent. This suggests strongly that this category pertains only to those of Japanese lineage.
    That's only an example, and last time I checked, you don't work for the Japanese government.

I don't think this just going to go away, especially if T/T are in the GPF (likely). There will be a lot of politicking here.

vCash
    If anything about Mervin Tran constitutes a "special relationship" or "extraordinary service" to Japan, the floodgates to Japanese citizenship are wide open. Don't count on his application getting very far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    If anything about Mervin Tran constitutes a "special relationship" or "extraordinary service" to Japan, the floodgates to Japanese citizenship are wide open. Don't count on his application getting very far.
    At least he's making an effort. You never know..God works in mysterious ways. If it's meant to happen, then it will!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    That's only an example, and last time I checked, you don't work for the Japanese government.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    At least he's making an effort. You never know..God works in mysterious ways. If it's meant to happen, then it will!
    God, yes. The Japanese Ministry of Justice, no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    God, yes. The Japanese Ministry of Justice, no.
    You know, everyone loves when it comes to

vCash
    How about having provided "extraordinary service to Japan"? maybe in the eyes of JSF, being a very (the first?) successful pair skater constitutes extraordinary service??
    Anyway, in his place, I would wait until I have received some encouraging feedback about my chances before making such a statement and I think that's what happened here... JMHO

vCash
    I wonder if Mervin can take out Japanese citizenship, compete in the Olympics, then later renounce it so that he can get his Canadian citizenship back. (ETA: That's if he can get Japanese citizenship in the first place.)

He was born in Canada, has always lived and trained in Canada, and is dating another Canadian skater. I can't see him giving up Canadian citizenship permanently.

It's tough for dancers and pairs skaters to find good matches; it's often necessary to look beyond a country's borders. It's unfortunate that the Olympics requires citizenship of both partners (rather than just one).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    How about having provided "extraordinary service to Japan"? maybe in the eyes of JSF, being a very (the first?) successful pair skater constitutes extraordinary service??
    Anyway, in his place, I would wait until I have received some encouraging feedback about my chances before making such a statement.. JMHO.
    Maybe he has, and that's why he made such a statement.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    You know, everyone loves when it comes to

Neither God nor money come into the equation when you are dealing with the Japanese Ministry of Justice. It's difficult enough for non-Japanese who live in Japan to get citizenship. I've friends who have been through the process.

Good luck to Mervin in whatever he chooses to do.

vCash
    Maybe he has, and that's why he made such a statement.
    my point exactly sorry I wasn't clear

vCash

Good luck, he'll need it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post

Good luck, he'll need it
    There's no reason to roll eyes. Sheesh, the guy is just trying his best.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Uh.. what connection does he have to Japan besides skating with a Japanese skater? I hope this is not approved.

vCash
    There's no reason to roll eyes. Sheesh, the guy is just trying his best.
    The Olympics are in 26 months the next Olympics are 6 years away. Maybe if they moved to Japan, trained in Japan, married a Japanese citizen, learned the language...maybe he would have a shot by 2018, maybe, but from what I hear, I doubt it.

Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Markuntsov broke up because it was impossible for him to get citizenship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast