Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Android vs. iPhone

So, I've lost my phone, and I've decided to purchase a new one tomorrow. I've been eyeing both the Samsung Galaxy II and the iPhone 4S. I'd thought I was set on the Samsung, but now I'm not sure. On the one hand, the Galaxy II is 4G and I've heard rave reviews about Android in general. It also has the bigger screen. But the iPhone's and iPhone and while I'm not a Mac person in general, I've had my iPod for years and years without any issues. However, it's only a 3G. The cost for both phones is the same.

Does anyone here have any thoughts/opinions on these two phones?
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I recently switched from a different droid - LG Ally - to an iPhone and the biggest difference besides just basic usability which is always going to be Apple's strength, is the speed. The iPhone is a LOT faster than my old droid. I don't like the touchpad vs. keypad but in all other areas the iPhone wins.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Head to head comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXWqkOexiU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96_4uMsosdc

CNET reviews:

Galaxy: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34505262.html
    iPhone 4S: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...ag=mncol;lst;3

I think both Samsung and Apple have excellent designs. Personally, I'll take an Android over Apple anyday, but I am one of those people who doesn't like Apple products.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Prancer, that's such a coincidence - I'm just finishing watching the video and I'm definitely set on the Galaxy II now. It's so much brighter and faster.

There's another video, a drop test with both, and the Galaxy II performed better there as well.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Prancer, that's such a coincidence - I'm just finishing watching the video and I'm definitely set on the Galaxy II now. It's so much brighter and faster.
    Samsung is known for its high-quality, crisp, clear screens; that's really a focus for them.

My last three phones have been Samsungs and that's been one of the selling points for me.

I will say that speed depends on a lot of things, not just your phone. My daughter has an iPhone, my son has a Windows phone, and I have a Google Nexus, and it's always a tossup as to whose phone is faster at any given point.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Got the iPhone 4S, my very first iPhone. Figuring out how to put FSU on it! Hubby is likely getting the new Samsung, what's its name.

With the iPhone I am already annoyed that everything is a bloody app. Welcome to Apple.

I find it interesting that none of the store employees had the iPhone, rather the new Samsung.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    With the iPhone I am already annoyed that everything is a bloody app. Welcome to Apple.
    Smart phones are all about the apps, Apple or not. Your husband's Samsung will be the same way.

IME, cell phone store workers never get Apple phones because they can exchange everything else in house if they need to, while Apple makes them do everything through Apple.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    They have iPhones at my AT&T store!

I want to know the answer to the question in Prancer's sig though.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

I want to know the answer to the question in Prancer's sig though.
    I want to know the answer, but in APA

vCash
    My contract is almost up and I'm looking too. I have a Blackberry and I would like to stay with it, but I HATE HATE their internet browser (I use mini Opera instead but I regularly have trouble opening certain links). But I am so used to a keyboard. Whenever I am near an Apple Store, I try out their Iphones but it takes me forever to type out a sentence on a touchscreen.

I am thinking of an Android but I hate Chrome as a browser on pcs and laptops. My parents use Chrome (I am a firefox fan). I do not get the appeal of Chrome AT ALL. I mean, where are the tabs?!?!? And I still don't know how to add and find a bookmark. I haven't tried Chrome on their cells so maybe it'll be better.

My contract is up in April, so I'm hoping that in the next few months blackberry offers new products with a kickass browser.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Smart phones are all about the apps, Apple or not. Your husband's Samsung will be the same way.

IME, cell phone store workers never get Apple phones because they can exchange everything else in house if they need to, while Apple makes them do everything through Apple.
    Oh OK. So how do I use FSU on this thing? I don't think there's an app for that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I love my Samsung Charge and i just got the Stratsosphere. These are VERIZON phones. I never have dropped calls:-) i love the google platform. Since I am familiar with it i dont have to use extra brain cells. 4Glte...amazing. The camera on either of these has virtually no shutter lag time whuch makes for great pictures.

Ditched my Blackberry and am using my active sync email through an app called touchdown. Can you be in love with an app? And since the stratosphere has a qwerty slide out keyboard.......my friends think I am less retarded than they did before.......really it was embarrasing.
    Last edited by AxelAnnie; 11-14-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Siri is a hoot.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My iPhone 3G is dying (literally, the battery is dying and the whole phone is operating very slowly).

Am also thinking whether I should get iPhone 4S or Andriod. iPhone seems to have more apps, and I am already accustomed to using iPhones, but I am very interested in this whole battery issue for iPhone 4S as well as Apple secretly configurating or updating the phone so that it will gradually die in 2 years to lure me into the iPhone 6 or something.
    Last edited by Marco; 11-15-2011 at 06:01 AM.

vCash
    I have a Blackberry Torch and if I do change, I'll be going to an Android phone mostly because I've heard too many people have issues with service drops and battery life with iPhones.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Random question, can those of you in the US tell me how much an Iphone 4S is from the American apple site? I can't access it from the UK but the video Prancer posted has intrigued me. The Iphone4 was £500 for the cheapest 16MB here - that video said it was $300 in the US! That's less than half the price

vCash
    Marco, I just upgraded from an iPhone 3G to a 4S... it's night and day. My battery was still OK on the 3G, but this new one is so much faster it's ridiculous. In addition, I haven't had the reported battery problems on the 4S at all; in fact the battery has been lasting *longer* than the one in my 3G, so who knows.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think both Samsung and Apple have excellent designs. Personally, I'll take an Android over Apple anyday, but I am one of those people who doesn't like Apple products.
    Not an Apple fan here, either. I have an HTC Incdredible and I love my Droid. I actually don't do a ton of apps, but I do surf the net a lot. It's perfect for me. Plus it has Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I am thinking of an Android but I hate Chrome as a browser on pcs and laptops. My parents use Chrome (I am a firefox fan). I do not get the appeal of Chrome AT ALL. I mean, where are the tabs?!?!? And I still don't know how to add and find a bookmark. I haven't tried Chrome on their cells so maybe it'll be better.
    You can get Firefox for the Android. Personally, I just use the Google browser, but then again, I don't use bookmarks on my phone.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So on my old smartphone I was able to create an icon for FSU that I could just tap. With the iPhone I have a feeling I will have to log on through the internet each time.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Not an Apple fan here, either. I have an HTC Incdredible and I love my Droid. I actually don't do a ton of apps, but I do surf the net a lot. It's perfect for me. Plus it has Flash. .
    I have the incredible too, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! And I'm not one to fall in love with a phone.
    Team Peeps!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast