Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daisuke-san!

vCash
    ITA. What a competition that would be, if both skated perfectly.

I really appreciate how Daisuke's always willing to learn and stretch himself artistically and technically. Working with different choreographers, and with Lambiel and Schoenfelder (also two of my favorites) during the off seasons.

I see improvements in his spins this season.

vCash
    I do have an issue with his flying sit spin. He just doesn't get much elevation and a good tuck position in the air. I watch his beautiful skating and then all of a sudden he does the flying sit and I kind of cringe because it is just not up to the standard of the other elements.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Yeah, he's improved his positions and speed in the sit when he's on the ice, but the fly part still needs some work. His upright spins can be great when he's on though. Camel is still very slow (but goes with the music in the SP so well).

I wonder if he can consult Lambiel wrt spins. That'd be awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    I wonder if he can consult Lambiel wrt spins. That'd be awesome.
    I don't think that it would help that much. Because apparently Stephane is not doing anything that other skaters (including Daisuke) don't know in theory. Some just have a natural ability, others can learn, but probably not as well as those with the natural ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I don't think that it would help that much. Because apparently Stephane is not doing anything that other skaters (including Daisuke) don't know in theory. Some just have a natural ability, others can learn, but probably not as well as those with the natural ability.
    I think it would probably help a lot. Because there are spin doctors out there, maybe Stephane included, who whilst are natural spinners, also have tips and techniques that will help improve others. And it can be the tiniest thing but the skater may not have thought of it before.

No one in skating is the be all and end all of all knowledge. Just some have better ways of doing things that end up making them better than others.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think it would probably help a lot. Because there are spin doctors out there, maybe Stephane included, who whilst are natural spinners, also have tips and techniques that will help improve others. And it can be the tiniest thing but the skater may not have thought of it before.
    The thing is that Stephane has already worked with Daisuke on his 'Amelie' exhibition program choreography. Yes, they worked on it only for a short time, but I know that they also worked on spins, as Stephane has done with most (or even all) skaters for whom he choreographed. Of course, they could probably work some more just on spins - most likely it would be a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    The thing is that Stephane has already worked with Daisuke on his 'Amelie' exhibition program choreography. Yes, they worked on it only for a short time, but I know that they also worked on spins, as Stephane has done with most (or even all) skaters for whom he choreographed. Of course, they could probably work some more just on spins - most likely it would be a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.
    But it could mean that it increases his +GOE.

vCash
    Great interview with Dai from JapanSkates.com
    How can you not love this guy.

http://www.japanskates.com/interview...terview_en.htm

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    And his SP was just outstanding for musicality. Particularly in his straight line step sequence, where he stopped, moved his head and then continued. That tiny moment sucked me in totally. I have no idea why but it did.
    I commented on that same move in the PBP thread. It's just a brilliant choreographic detail - first he draws a loop on the ice with his feet (skate) and then he draws a loop in the air with his head. Mad props to Wilson for this program, but it takes and incredible skater to pull it off and Takahashi is more than up to the task.

ETA: For me, it was Takahashi's Bachelorette exhibition that proved his musicality and that he was far more than a "skate by numbers" talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0m_KNw1pM
    Last edited by BittyBug; 12-02-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Add link to Bachelorette
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post

Thank you very much . It's actually the first interview that I read from Daisuke in English. Mostly they are in Japanese (which I don't understand), and I hadn't seen such a lengthy interview translated in English until now. So, a huge thanks to whoever translated it! And, if there has been some interview translated in English before, I would be very thankful if someone could point me to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    ETA: For me, it was Takahashi's Bachelorette exhibition that proved his musicality and that he was far more than a "skate by numbers" talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0m_KNw1pM
    Yes, a great program, but also a bit similar in style to Daisuke's 'Black Swan' program (not just because of the costume ).

vCash
    Thanks for posting the interview, kittyjake5!

I love Dai's skating and his charm. Most of all I love the way he takes on the challenge to grow, and how he seeks out help from many (Olivier Schoenfelder, David Wilson, Pasquale, the Japanese ballet dancer whose name I can't recall, etc.) in the constant effort to get better. Even with the difficulty of translating what he said into English, Dai's descriptions about understanding his body more as he gets older, and the complications involved with that, is quite wonderful to read. I can feel Dai's embrace of all the challenges and difficulties, and most of all his love for skating.

IMHO, Dai being determined to stay and work hard in the eligible ranks through to Sochi (hope he makes the team) is very admirable -- and I feel through that effort and determination, he will deserve to be there more than a veteran who takes a few years off and then tries to come back just for Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post

Thank you so much for this interview. He's a very charming man.

I enjoy both of his programs so much this season, so much that I am hoping that he wins the world title this year. As much I respect Chan's skating, I just enjoy Dai's programs so much more. I appreciate the creativity and the musicality and the originality. He has chosen music that's not over-used and overdone.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Just wanted to say GO DAISUKE!!!!!

Hope you have two great skates and that you will be standing on the podium
    with that Gold Medal around your neck.

vCash
    http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp104000c.html

"I made only one mistake (on the quad in the free program) and he made three on his jumps but I still wasn't able to beat him so that shows you I need to have more quality in my jumps," Takahashi told reporters Sunday.
    It must be so frustrating for him to skate better than Patrick but still lose to him. I really hope he gets his quad back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp104000c.html

It must be so frustrating for him to skate better than Patrick but still lose to him. I really hope he gets his quad back.
    I like his attitude. He is not blaming anyone; he plans to improve his jumps. He is a true sport.

vCash
    Note to Tak
    1) skate your short better
    2) up the difficulty in your free
    Regardless of whether you actually accomplish either one or both, I still lurves to watch you.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Japan Nationals SP: what an amazing skate, well done Dai!
    He's back and ready to !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6krNJWCa0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Japan Nationals SP: what an amazing skate, well done Dai!
    He's back and ready to !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6krNJWCa0
    Thank you I really enjoyed it, like this is the first time I was just so into watching him skate. Jumps were there, perfect and one of the hardest arsenal, 4t-3t, 3a, and 3lz, and he was really giving his energy and even "soul" to this performance.

I love that his attitude at recent interview was truthful and not of just a big talk. He took the risk when clearly he didn't have to and that's a quality worthy of champion. Wow. He really had me there with this performance!

vCash
    WOW!! Thanks so much for the link. I really like Dai and hope he is on the podium at Worlds (top step!).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast