vCash

A Great time to be a fan of men's figure skating!

I have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a while so I have spent some of it watching skating (of course)

In watching - among others - Takahashi and Kozuka's NHK short programs(Takahashi's multiple times) Jeremy Abbott's freeskate from COC, and just now Patrick Chan's & Javier Fernandez's exhibition skates from Skate Canada - I am just so ecstatic to have so many amazing men to watch right now. And there are the Czechs, Oda and the rest of the Japanese team, Adam Rippon and Denis Ten. And there are so many others too! It's just watching these guys that made me think of it! Can't wait for the men's freeskate at NHK!

Just thought I'd say that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a while so I have spent some of it watching skating (of course)

In watching - among others - Takahashi and Kozuka's NHK short programs(Takahashi's multiple times) Jeremy Abbott's freeskate from COC, and just now Patrick Chan's & Javier Fernandez's exhibition skates from Skate Canada - I am just so ecstatic to have so many amazing men to watch right now. And there are the Czechs, Oda and the rest of the Japanese team, Adam Rippon and Denis Ten. And there are so many others too! It's just watching these guys that made me think of it! Can't wait for the men's freeskate at NHK!

Just thought I'd say that.
    Agreed. No shortage of talent in the mens field!

Title-less
    vCash
    I agree, though I must say this is NOT a good time to be a fan of pairs figure skating.
    (Under COP very few elements are that synchronized any more...)

vCash
    I agree. I think mens is one of the strongest disciplines of the lot and very exciting.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Totally agree with you! The men are really bringing it!
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    The men's division has been more interesting for quite awhile. I think it began to become more compelling (after a bit of a lull from the time of Curry and Cranston) with Boitano's influence, Bowman's brief magic, Paul (but his star mainly rose after the 92 Olympics in the professional ranks).

Also, a richness and diversity came with the improvement of the Russian men in singles and what they brought to the ice -- starting for me with Alexander Fadeev, (somewhat Viacheslav Zagorodniuk), and then Ilia, Urmanov, Yagudin, and Plushenko. Yes, I thought Plushy was exciting, but that he began to rest on his laurels too much and didn't try to develop his artistic side more, relying instead mainly on his jumps and his charisma.

It was boring and predictable for a stretch, with sparks of interest such as Rudy, and I enjoyed witnessing Todd's growth. Emanuel Sandhu and Jeffrey Buttle began to show some of their beautiful artistry, and then Matt Savoie, Johnny Weir and Lambiel brought us to the heights of what men could do with creativity and smooth moves on the ice. They definitely influenced Dai and Jeremy, and the younger generation that is coming to the fore now with Patrick, Hanyu, Denis Ten, Javier, and Jason Brown. And those are just a few of the men that have so much possibility -- there is so much depth, particularly in the U.S. and Japan.

Because of the depth, I think there needs to be more opportunities to reward skaters (i.e., rewarding separate medals for sp and fp, and then an all-around final).
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-13-2011 at 02:56 AM.

vCash
    Always loved the men's discipline the most, ever since I first watched Brian Orser skate in the 1984 Olympics. Then "The Battle of the Brians' did it for me. There was no turning back!

vCash
    I definitely think the men is the most exciting discipline now. Love Daisuke and the rising star Hanyu.

vCash
    Ever since I started watching skating - with Toller Cranston and his artistry and Russian split jumps above the boards (this is what I remember from being about 3or 4 and watching figure skating) the men's competition has been one of my favourites.

But what I love right now is there are so few fridge breaks and so many competitors I am truly interested in watching.

I know many people don't like what COP has done to skating and no - it is not perfect- but I love that it seems to have made a generation of male skaters who are rewarded for great skating skills and for paying attention to all aspects of their skating.

As much as I do love a beautiful jump- I enjoy beautiful edges, speed, great spins and footwork and great choreography just as much or more!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I definitely think the men is the most exciting discipline now. Love Daisuke and the rising star Hanyu.

Haha... I agree with you for once, especially Hanyu!!!

Most of the ladies however put me asleep... They need to show why ladies should still be the highlight SPORT event at the Olympics and not some pageantry contest where everyone want to be an European Princess trying not to fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Ever since I started watching skating - with Toller Cranston and his artistry and Russian split jumps above the boards (this is what I remember from being about 3or 4 and watching figure skating) the men's competition has been one of my favourites.

But what I love right now is there are so few fridge breaks and so many competitors I am truly interested in watching.

As much as I do love a beautiful jump- I enjoy beautiful edges, speed, great spins and footwork and great choreography just as much or more!
    I also love gorgeous edges, speed, but for me it's the footwork especially, since Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton were masters at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The men's division has been more interesting for quite awhile. I think it began to become more compelling (after a bit of a lull from the time of Curry and Cranston) with Boitano's influence, Bowman's brief magic, Paul (but his star mainly rose after the 92 Olympics in the professional ranks).

Also, a richness and diversity came with the improvement of the Russian men in singles and what they brought to the ice -- starting for me with Alexander Fadeev, (somewhat Viacheslav Zagorodniuk), and then Ilia, Urmanov, Yagudin, and Plushenko. Yes, I thought Plushy was exciting, but that he began to rest on his laurels too much and didn't try to develop his artistic side more, relying instead mainly on his jumps and his charisma.

It was boring and predictable for a stretch, with sparks of interest such as Rudy, and I enjoyed witnessing Todd's growth. Emanuel Sandhu and Jeffrey Buttle began to show some of their beautiful artistry, and then Matt Savoie, Johnny Weir and Lambiel brought us to the heights of what men could do with creativity and smooth moves on the ice. They definitely influenced Dai and Jeremy, and the younger generation that is coming to the fore now with Patrick, Hanyu, Denis Ten, Javier, and Jason Brown. And those are just a few of the men that have so much possibility -- there is so much depth, particularly in the U.S. and Japan.

Because of the depth, I think there needs to be more opportunities to reward skaters (i.e., rewarding separate medals for sp and fp, and then an all-around final).
    And you can't discount the energy that came during Kurt Browning's era that of triple jumps, and that first quad, along with footwork, footwork, footwork...

vCash
    Takahashi has already become one the The Great Ones for me, esp after watching his NHK freeskate. Charisma, musicality, confidence, technique, ability to deliver great choreo *really* well...he has it all. he's one of those skaters who I look forward to for the pure performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    And you can't discount the energy that came during Kurt Browning's era that of triple jumps, and that first quad, along with footwork, footwork, footwork...
    Yes, I agree ... Boitano, Orser, and Browning who came after them as part of Bowman's generation, but Kurt became the King and Christopher fell from grace.

vCash
    In this category (men), we are lucky to have so many great skaters : elements are big and controlled, edges and speed are good, and they have something to say on the ice (choreographies are interesting) !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    In this category (men), we are lucky to have so many great skaters : elements are big and controlled, edges and speed are good, and they have something to say on the ice (choreographies are interesting) !
    ITA Especially with the last.

The men(Takahashi, Fernandez, Chan, Abbott etc) belie the fact that COP has taken away the emotion and performance aspect away from figure skating. They have found a way to make COP work for them as opposed to them working for the COP.

It can be done, and IMO the other disciplines need to take a page from the men and move the sport forward. I still feel as if the other disciplines are using the same formula and checking off the elements as they go. I can almost see them counting the points as each element is performed.

The performances of Chan and Fernandez at SC, Takahashi at NHK and Abbott at COC are on repeat for me right now.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    ITA Especially with the last.

The men(Takahashi, Fernandez, Chan, Abbott etc) belie the fact that COP has taken away the emotion and performance aspect away from figure skating. They have found a way to make COP work for them as opposed to them working for the COP.

It can be done, and IMO the other disciplines need to take a page from the men and move the sport forward. I still feel as if the other disciplines are using the same formula and checking off the elements as they go. I can almost see them counting the points as each element is performed.

The performances of Chan and Fernandez at SC, Takahashi at NHK and Abbott at COC are on repeat for me right now.
    Entire post.

DAISUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I totally agree. The Men is the only discipline that will make me get up at 5AM in hope of finding a feed. Looking forward to the GPF and Worlds a lot!

vCash
    The men are without question the most exciting discipline now, with Ice Dance also a close second.

Reflecting on the other disciplines:

I think Savchenko/Szolkowy and their coach Ingo Steuer have made pairs skating interesting over the past five years -- they have pushed the sport forward with their innovative style, and are still challenging themselves by always trying to do something different, despite IJS making it more complicated. The Chinese pairs with their amazing tricks (and the palpable magic and connection of Shen/Zhao) also made pairs interesting -- the young Chinese up-and-comers are continuing that tradition, but where is the edge and the oomph that so far only S/S/S seem to dare/ risk in pairs?

The balletic, romantic, lyrical style pioneered by the Protopopovs, and epitomized by Gordeeva/ Grinkov (and to a lesser degree by B/S) is sublime and revolutionized pairs skating, but now I think its becoming a bit stale and boring (witness the jaded look on the face of the tiny Russian Lubov Iliushechkina at NHK, compared with the more innocent fresh-faced excitement of the young Ekaterina Gordeeva at the 1988 Olympics). V/T look good together and will be trying to continue the Russian tradition (as I think K/S have faltered, but yet are still trying to find a way that works for them, with some success and support from the judges). I find it ironic that it was the 2002 scandal in pairs skating that led to the institution of IJS, and that pairs seems to have been hurt the most by the rules changes.

The ladies are sometimes pleasant to watch, but generally are not very exciting these days... I'll post my additional thoughts on the ladies in the 2012 Ladies Worlds Prediction thread.