Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm going to see the Kerrs. Tickets aren't so bad when you pick 'em up day of at the arena. I've never spent more than $30 and I've always gotten great seats.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    They've always had 4 stops (5 at one time) in Florida and now nothing.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    So US SOI tours only 10 places this time??
    Wow, wasn't so long ago that they did what, 30-40 shows a season? And the big tv specials around Christmas time?

I remember the days when FSUers would go to rehearsals in Lake Placid and report in, and then so many of us would be on the edge of our seats waiting for the reviews of the first show in November. Then, even though it was the same cast, people would post reviews from many of the tour stops as well.

vCash
    Coincidentally, I got a letter from IMG today that says the SOI does not come back to my city so they returned my order form.

They also ask me if I want to re-order a ticket for the show in any of the cities they will visit, and yes, they only list 10 cities - the same ones on their website.

Sigh...

vCash
    Only TEN shows?? Is there any chance they will be adding a few more in the coming months or is this it?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I believe this is it - at the end of the list they show the "teaser" for the Canadian tour.

Making a day-trip to the first show in late November in Lake Placid has been quite do-able from Ottawa for many years; making the same trip for a show at the end of December is less appealing. Especially buying tickets in advance and gambling on the weather...
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    It's the economy folks....we haven't had a show in the Norfolk VA market in years!!

vCash
    Looking at the SOI website, Smucker's is no longer the title sponsor of the tour. That's probably why there are only 10 cities on the schedule this year--without a title sponsor, they can't afford any more than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri C View Post
    It's the economy folks....we haven't had a show in the Norfolk VA market in years!!
    They need to lower their prices for tickets. Who can take a family at $90 a ticket?

Go back to more reasonable prices and bring back the fans.

I don't really see any point of putting on this show for only 10 cities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Looking at the SOI website, Smucker's is no longer the title sponsor of the tour. That's probably why there are only 10 cities on the schedule this year--without a title sponsor, they can't afford any more than that.
    Probably why no Tanith/Ben or Evan, too?? How sad... I hope they amp the show up by showtime!

vCash
    No stops in my area. This is just sad.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I think the cheap tickets can actually be quite affordable, around $25 a ticket with discounts. There were discounts with AAA, for example, which many people are members of.

I wish that the 10 stops they do have were a bit more spread out. There are two shows in Washington, two in PA, and two in CA. As someone who lives in the NE, it's kind of a shame that none of the shows are close to me. And I would've been willing to travel up to 4 hours.

Also hope that this year is a chance for them to regroup a bit. I've long been a fan of SOI and would hate to see the tour end. Hopefully a sponsor will step up.

vCash
    Bummer, no DC and no Orlando. I do love Hershey chocolate, so maybe I'll try to aim for that. Have a feeling I might not make it this year.

vCash
    bummer no MN show, but it was so empty last year, so I kind of suspected it. Looks like I'm heading to the Windy city!!!

vCash
    Yes, there is still a Japan tour in January, and I'm quite sure there's still going to be a Canadian tour. If the US tour was to go under, I've wondered how that would affect those two tours, since they're usually anchored off the US tour.

I think Stars on Ice is hanging on by its teeth, and personally, as a fan of the tour, I'm kind of glad IMG is trying to keep it going, rather than just writing it off and killing the last remaining skating tour in the US (I don't count Disney on Ice). But yes, the logo and the press materials are quite notable for their lack of a title sponsor. This show has been "Smucker's Stars on Ice" for ages, and before that "Discover Stars on Ice". That lone "Stars on Ice" without any sort of prefix looks kind of bare.

I know that Kurt Browning, the new choreographer and co-director of the tour, is keen to reboot the show creatively and has all sorts of ideas for the show. I'm not sure he'll be able to execute them, given the constraints on this year's show, but if this year's show is able to attract a new sponsor, I have hopes for future years...

vCash
    Beyond depressing! This used to be a 65+ city tour!

vCash
    How wierd for them that they have their opener, then wait 6 weeks to tour.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    How wierd for them that they have their opener, then wait 6 weeks to tour.
    They usually do that - the opening show in Lake Placid over the holidays (though usually Thanksgiving) is a tradition, and it also gives them the opportunity to do the TV broadcast before the tour starts, which provides advertisement for the show. This year, the TV broadcast is going to be in syndication.

Also, the Japan tour is in January so it's not actually a 6 week wait.

vCash
    What has happened to the popularity of skating in the U.S.??? For awhile I've thought that lack of attendance at these shows was due to the declining pocketbook of the middle class. Healthcare, tuition, energy and plethora other assorted costs are through the roof while people's wages have stagnated for more than a decade. However, I can't believe the U.S. economic situation explains all the decline in attendance. There was a time when skating shows sold out (both Champions on Ice and Stars on ICe) and to get good seats you had to buy long in advance or at the very least be standing in line the moment they went on sale. Where did all these fans go? Is it nobody has the money anymore? Is it Salt Lake City pairs event and the public's realization that the judging is corrupt?? What is it?

vCash
    nothing near snoopysnake
    snoopysnake probably cannot get to Portland
    snoopysnake sad

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast