Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The heat moldable system

I'm wondering if the heat moldable system really helps on making the boots better fitted on the foot.
    How did you find the difference after using this system ?
    Does the skater feel really dramatically better after heating the boot or is it just a better comfort during the breaking time ?

Does the oven action have a consequence on the durabibilty and stiffness of the boot ?
    I wouldn't like to heat the boots and find out afterwards that it actually did reduce the lenght in durability of boots neither the stiffness.

Or maybe should I take my boots as they are without any oven action.

Need some advices in this area.

vCash
    I can only tell you what I've seen with my Skater Grrrl. She's had a few pairs of Reidells that weren't heat molded and the break in time seemed to be weeks. Of course, at that point, she was a younger/smaller/lower level skater and 1) not as skilled overall and 2) not beating up her skates as much over the long haul.

With every heat molded pair, she's able to get up to speed and do all her spins, jumps (doubles), footwork within a two to three days (skating 2-3 hours a day). ETA: Also, my kid is not a happy martyr and does not suffer discomfort well...if the boots were bugging her at all, we'd hear about it; the heat molding seems to take any complaints down to a rare whine.

She is hard on her skates - although she is now bigger and skating "bigger" - and so far skates seem to last 6, maybe 8 months before they really break down (and not including growth spurts). Not sure what normal time would be, but maybe you could use it as a reference to compare to someone who doesn't use heat?

Also, I'm not sure what type of Reidells she has, but I do know they are a pretty stiff boot. Her new skates will be the Edea Concerto, and from what I understand they don't get heat molded...? We'll see how it goes. Normally, it seems to take skaters at our rink about 2 weeks to make the switch from Reidell to the Edeas, but again, that's a generalization with a lot of variables.
    Last edited by Jozet; 10-12-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added info

vCash
    I *love* heat molded skates. They fit my foot so much better than the non-heat molded skates I wore. I have a wide foot, and the heat molding really helps the skate fit my foot. My old skates, which were not heat-moldable, never quite fit right, no matter how many times I had them punched out.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Watch me move
    vCash
    My current boots (Gams) are heat molded, and the difference from my previous non-molded boots (Risport) is incredible. A much shorter break-in time, with much less discomfort, and they have not broken down any more quickly because of the heat molding.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I found I just needed to use a hair dryer to soften the heat moulding. But they also mould a bit more naturally due to the natural heat your feet generate.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My dd loves her heat molded GAMS. They have changed the look at bit this year and the lacing pattern has changed a bit but we have not had any problem with early breakdown. Jozet, your dd is about the same age / level as mine and we have never had less than a year from her skates and even then they are never broken down. Maybe you should look at the GAMS.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    My dd loves her heat molded GAMS. They have changed the look at bit this year and the lacing pattern has changed a bit but we have not had any problem with early breakdown. Jozet, your dd is about the same age / level as mine and we have never had less than a year from her skates and even then they are never broken down. Maybe you should look at the GAMS.
    I'll take a look at them for next time, for sure!

I'm hoping the Edeas give us a little longer life. Of course, now I've just jinxed myself and she'll have a growth spurt.

My daughter tears up her skates so badly, the leather is off the entire front of the skate. We're going to use tape and boot covers this next time around, too.
    Last edited by Jozet; 10-13-2011 at 02:02 AM. Reason: stray apostrophe

vCash
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I still hesitate about putting my boots in the oven. I've heard that they may break down earlier than non heated boots, which I find logic since softening the leather to make it fit to the foot kind of remove some of its stiffness.
    I've never had this process done on my boots before and I had no problem. However it seems that those who did it are much more comfortable in the boots.

vCash
    It's not that they're heating the leather to get it to mold to your foot. In heat moldable skates, there's a layer of plastic between the layers of leather, and that's what molds to your foot.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    It's not that they're heating the leather to get it to mold to your foot. In heat moldable skates, there's a layer of plastic between the layers of leather, and that's what molds to your foot.
    Ok, I didn't know, thanks. Still, does the layer definitely get softened after the heating process ? I mean the layers in the boot can't stay as stiff as they were, after spending several minutes in a oven.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Ok, I didn't know, thanks. Still, does the layer definitely get softened after the heating process ? I mean the layers in the boot can't stay as stiff as they were, after spending several minutes in a oven.
    Actually it's pretty hard to tell the difference. The plastic doesn't melt into being like a liquid - it just softens very slightly. The boots just feel like you have skated in them a couple of times.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It's a little bit like for mouthguards... You put your mouthguard it in hot water for a few minutes, then in your mouth until it cools and that's it !

vCash
    I haven't noticed any difference in the actual stiffness/hardness of the boot before and after heat-molding. All I've noticed is that it fits a lot better.

The plastics used are designed to be heat molded, so they would be designed to be able to handle the oven, and to recover afterwards.

vCash
    Thank you for the advises.
    I will try the new boots and see if it actually some fiting adjustement or not.

vCash
    I've just got an information that I didn't know about : someone told me that it is possible to put in the oven the boots with the blades mounted on them, that is to oven the blades as well as the boots.
    I actually find this method quite surprising since I thought that only the boots could be heated.

What do you think about it ? Is it true and possible to proceed that way ?

vCash
    I adored my heat moulded Grafs, and now love my Klingbeils (which were made from a mould of my foot). I heat moulded my Grafs in the oven at my house and they turned out great. I used my hair dryer once on them too.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I've just got an information that I didn't know about : someone told me that it is possible to put in the oven the boots with the blades mounted on them, that is to oven the blades as well as the boots.
    I actually find this method quite surprising since I thought that only the boots could be heated.

What do you think about it ? Is it true and possible to proceed that way ?
    I suppose it could be done, although it might cause damage to the blades. My boots were heat molded at the shop before the blades were mounted.

vCash
    I would never put boots with blades in the oven. Even if you could get them sitting perfectly upright, I would never do it and never recommend it.

vCash
    My fitter did my boots with the blades mounted. They were laid sideways in her convection oven (home shop). The difference in fit was fantastic so it clearly worked.

We don't have any actual pro shops, so this is all we can do. A sports store has a small boot oven for ski boots, I think, but it can not get hot enough for ice skates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post

I'm hoping the Edeas give us a little longer life. Of course, now I've just jinxed myself and she'll have a growth spurt.
    A lot of the skaters around here love Edeas, but except those who are WAY over booted , they all say they break down quickly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast