Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I know by the time my kids were 1, we had enough books! In fact, we have so many books here, we could fill a library! What my kids really enjoyed at that age was bath toys. In fact, they still do.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    I've been buying so many baby gifts in the last couple of years because of friends and family having kids.

A very affordable gift that I just bought is available at Target for about ten bucks. They're soft blocks that are designed to grow with the baby. They are BPA free and designed for teething. But, as the baby grows, he can start using the blocks as blocks, but won't get hurt when they fall. They also have numbers and animals on them and squeak:

http://www.target.com/p/B-One-Two-Sq...s/-/A-12064091

They have a set of alphabet blocks, too. The same brand makes toddler- appropriate cars that some one year-olds may be ready to use:

http://www.target.com/p/B-Wheeee-ls-...k/-/A-12026424

I agree that books are a great gift for a baby. (It's also nice for the parents if they have a variety of baby books that the baby likes because a parent can go batty reading the exact same book hundreds of times -- those books are short.) Amazon has a four books for the price of three deal going on for a lot of their children's books, but you can also find some of these books at Target or Walmart. I've also found that T.J. Maxx has a pretty good selection of baby books for very good prices, including baby board Seuss books and Sandra Boynton books as well as popular baby books like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See" and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." You also can get baby clothes for great prices at T.J. Maxx, including brands like Carters and Oshkosh. (If you're buying for a one year-old you'll probably want to buy the 18-month size.)

I personally love the Sandra Boynton books. A one year-old won't get the humor in some of them, but lots of them are very sing-songy and appropriate for a baby. I'd definitely recommend Boynton books like "Barnyard Dance," "Snuggle Puppy," and "Moo, Baa."

Touch and feel books are a great way to get babies engaged in a book. There's a very popular series of "That Not My . . ." touch and feel books that you can find on Amazon. "That's Not My Puppy," "That's Not My Monster," "That's Not My Dragon," etc.

Also, a lot of babies like lift the flap books like "Where is Baby's Belly Button" and the baby/flap version of "Green Eggs and Ham."

vCash
    I don't understand the concept of throwing a birthday party for two children if they are not related. But then all birthday parties that were for my children and grandchildren are immediate family gatherings and no large gathering where people may or may not be related to the birthday celebrant. I am confused as to why someone would feel the need to present a gift to a child that they do not know that well even if they are invited to a joint party. Surely there would be other guests to the gathering that would only know one of the children/families?

If I could not afford or felt uncomfortable in not giving both children a gift, I would decline the party invitation and send a gift to the one child I knew. But then that is just my opinion. If I felt the need to have a gift for both children, I would select books.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    NOOO STUFFED ANIMALS!!! LOL. I have an 8 month old and we have so many I don't even know what to do with them!!!
    You could re-gift them to someone else

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    You could re-gift them to someone else
    Hospitals, churches, charities etc. would all love them.

I would ask the parents what they want you to buy the kids They're they ones who have to store everything.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Hit the dollar store. I'm serious. For such young ages, I find lots of great ideas for gifts - and the kids love what they get! And pick bright and interesting wrapping paper. Because frankly at that age (1 - 2 y/o), they are more interested in the packaging than what's inside the package

vCash
    I love to give and get consumables. Diapers, wipes, baby bath, shampoo, rash creme, dreft (baby clothes detergent), socks, pediatric OTC meds, etc. Then you KNOW mom and dad will use them! Also, it is good to have baby start watching potty training videos at this age (I think "Baby Songs") so they come to expect that is what "Big kids" do soon. Good luck and report back
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I just wanted to thank everybody again for all the terrific suggestions. I copied all of them out, went to Target, and entered a vast area of the store I had never been to. They had some of the Sandra Boynton books! And thanks to popular opinion, I found Moo, Baa, La La La and Snuggle Puppy. Those are for the baby I don't know. And then bathtub toys jumped out at me, and they had a cute sand bucket filled with toys that you fill up with water and squirt (would love to try those out myself). Made it out of the store for just under $25. And then to the $1 store (thanks to another suggestion) and found some non-Christmasy wrapping that will work.

If I'm invited to the 2 year olds birthday party next year, for sure, I'll come ask all the experts here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12