Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't wanna compare skaters, but I must say when watching skating live, speed makes a huge difference. I can see why judges give higher PCS across 5 components for skaters who are fast. It's just very exciting to watch.

On the other hand, the TV screen makes the little movements stand out more.
    Absolutely. I'll never forget the times I watched Patrick Chan skate live. He just builds up so much speed so effortlessly, I could watch him for hours just stroking. That's not easy, and it's a very rare ability. Carolina Kostner comes pretty close, but she doesn't build up the same power. And again with her, it's an ability that doesn't come across nearly as much on TV. You really have to see them both live to appreciate their skating.

Whereas with Jeremy, he really has to be skating a program for me to truly appreciate him. He really does have gorgeous programs, and he skates them with sensitivity that nobody else possesses.

Now if Patrick could also develop the same level of sensitivity (and every year he's been improving at this), then he'd be my perfect skater. But Jeremy and Patrick both have different styles and I can definitely appreciate them both for what they offer.

vCash
    I just need to write again that every time I rewatch Jeremy's LP I think:"That is absolutely amazing".
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Now if Patrick could also develop the same level of sensitivity (and every year he's been improving at this), then he'd be my perfect skater. But Jeremy and Patrick both have different styles and I can definitely appreciate them both for what they offer.
    Do you mean sensitivity or artistry? Not exactly the same thing, although I would agree that Jeremy seems very thoughtful and sensitive ("capacity to respond to outer stimuli; emotional awareness"). This aspect of his personality can help and hurt.

Patrick seems to be trying to display artistic sensibility in his programs, but IMO, he's not really there yet, plus he doesn't really interpret the music as well as Jeremy and Dai. I think Patrick still has a level of immaturity in his skating, which should not be surprising since he is still maturing (he's been around since age 16, so its easy to forget he's not 21 yet -- his birthday is in December).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Do you mean sensitivity or artistry? Not exactly the same thing, although I would agree that Jeremy seems very thoughtful and sensitive ("capacity to respond to outer stimuli; emotional awareness"). This aspect of his personality can help and hurt.

Patrick seems to be trying to display artistic sensibility in his programs, but IMO, he's not really there yet, plus he doesn't really interpret the music as well as Jeremy and Dai. I think Patrick still has a level of immaturity in his skating, which should not be surprising since he is still maturing (he's been around since age 16, so its easy to forget he's not 21 yet -- his birthday is in December).
    I mean "sensitivity" as in "artistry that actually kind of quantifiable." Knowing when to push and when to pull back. Jeremy has moments in his LP where he does just a soft, small movement but he does it in the spirit of the music, so much so that it takes your breath away. Bringing his arm down during his last spin is one of those moments. Such a little thing, but it means so much.

Patrick's not at that level yet, his bread-and-butter is his sheer skating ability. He's all push, but he's been improving. But soaring dramatic music definitely suits his style, I don't see him ever doing a quiet, introspective, and sensitive program like Jeremy's successfully.

vCash
    I mean "sensitivity" as in "artistry that actually kind of quantifiable." Knowing when to push and when to pull back. Jeremy has moments in his LP where he does just a soft, small movement but he does it in the spirit of the music, so much so that it takes your breath away. Bringing his arm down during his last spin is one of those moments. Such a little thing, but it means so much.

Patrick's not at that level yet, his bread-and-butter is his sheer skating ability. He's all push, but he's been improving. But soaring dramatic music definitely suits his style, I don't see him ever doing a quiet, introspective, and sensitive program like Jeremy's successfully.
    This I would agree. Jeremy's program is breathtaking, and even those who don't like his style of skating have been moved by his fp this season.

When you are an intuitive, sensing, feeling person it is possible to over think and analyze too much, instead of relaxing. With his two programs this season, I think Jeremy seems to be able to relax more and let the music take him, while still maintaining the focus but not the over-thinking should he make a mistake re his jumps. If a skater makes a mistake, it's important to get quickly back into the flow of the program, and not tense up.

Definitely Patrick's personality seems suited to the music choices he makes, but who knows, to stretch himself a switch might be in order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Matt Savoie was unlucky politically, and his introspective and shy personality did not help win him any influence with the judges. Matt left an important legacy nonetheless. His programs can be watched over and over again, and be enjoyed and find something new to admire every time.
    I was thinking of Matt Savoie when I saw Jeremy's long program last week. Both because of the transitions and because of the subtlety and restraint. I always thought that Matt did not get enough credit for his transitions, choregoraphy, and difficulty. There were times when a certain skater beloved by judges would do little besides crossovers between elements would get higher transition and choreography scores than Matt would, and it drove me crazy. I have sometimes thought that Jeremy similarly did not get enough credit, so I was happy to see that he did get a lot of credit for his long program last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lovely performance of Adele's "Hometown Glory" by Abbott on NBC's Fashion on Ice broadcast today!
    My NBC station apparently is boycotting skating this year, so if anyone has a link to a particularly good video, it would be greatly appreciated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    My NBC station apparently is boycotting skating this year, so if anyone has a link to a particularly good video, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Just find this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbJDAF4CaKI

vCash
    On NBC this weekend, Peter Carruthers and Terry Gannon called Daisuke's free skate the best skate of the season so far...I don't think they meant it was Daisuke's best skate, but the best long program from all the men this season...what do you guys think? I personally love Jeremy's much much more.

Title-less
    vCash
    Well, this is a Jeremy thread so we need to gush about him without comparing him to other skaters who may be just as good. That said, Dai did land more jumps, so that would put him ahead for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joyceloop View Post
    With choreography and skating like that, who needs jumps?

vCash
    Thank you! Jeremy and Adele. Love them both and it's a great combination.

vCash
    Oh yes, I did see this on the tv broadcast Sunday (but was annoyed they didn't show Jeremy's second number in the white Mendel outfit).

Definitely great music, skated to magnificently by the very fashionable-looking Jeremy wearing a Betsey Johnson creation.

BTW, below is a Dai clip, but check out 1:98 - 2:26 ... To me, this season, these are the guys. Keep it going Dai and Jeremy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJ76QRDy0Q

And here's a tribute to Jeremy with a track of M.Gaye's Sexual Healing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJqmveIiFE

A Jeremy montage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaVWZ1dA-U

Another montage tribute to Jeremy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5x1...eature=related

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calbskate View Post
    On NBC this weekend, Peter Carruthers and Terry Gannon called Daisuke's free skate the best skate of the season so far...I don't think they meant it was Daisuke's best skate, but the best long program from all the men this season...what do you guys think? I personally love Jeremy's much much more.
    I can't compare Jeremy with anyone else. Neither can I compare Dai with anyone else. They have individual strengths and (I suppose) weaknesses. It's times like these I am really pleased that I don't have to decide between them!
    Last edited by Meredith; 11-16-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: :blush:

vCash
    Disson Skating has uploaded Abbott's untelevised performance from Fashion On Ice (thanks for the link, kwanette!) -- his swing short program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhI41RngGnY

Abbott's reply via Twitter :
    Damn can we burn that unedited version!!! Oh well I am human after all...
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-16-2011 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    I can't compare Jeremy with anyone else. Neither can I compare Dai with anyone else. They have individual strengths and (I suppose) weaknesses. It's time like these I am really pleased that I don't have to decide between them!
    Indeed Perhaps we could take two most artistically interesting male skaters competing today and have them arm-wrestle? After a certain point, brilliant is brilliant. Some would prefer one thing, some another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Indeed Perhaps we could take two most artistically interesting male skaters competing today and have them arm-wrestle? After a certain point, brilliant is brilliant. Some would prefer one thing, some another.
    Not arm wrestling, dinakt!! Duets, trios, quartets, you name it! Put them all together in a show of their own, self choreographed, with really, really good music. (Or, as I've told some of the PCF clubbers before, hire them all--and any other retired artistic skaters--for my own modern dance company when they retire and I am suddenly filthy rich.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Not arm wrestling, dinakt!! Duets, trios, quartets, you name it! Put them all together in a show of their own, self choreographed, with really, really good music. (Or, as I've told some of the PCF clubbers before, hire them all--and any other retired artistic skaters--for my own modern dance company when they retire and I am suddenly filthy rich.)

Million times yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Disson Skating has uploaded Abbott's untelevised performance from Fashion On Ice (thanks for the link, kwanette!) -- his swing short program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhI41RngGnY

Abbott's reply via Twitter :

Thanks for the link Sylvia, and Kwanette!

Awwww, Jeremy! That is one fun program, and he looked so sharp in his J Mendel. Looks like Jeremy was attempting to do most of the jumps from his competitive routine which isn't easy on that smaller sized rink. No matter -- I loved it -- love watching Jere-amazin! He's human indeed, and very special too.

vCash
    I agree, and that's one thing I thought while watching it.
    I'm almost unable to say what jumps he landed or not after watching his performances this season (LP and Exhibition). That's how I love figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Put them all together in a show of their own, self choreographed, with really, really good music. (Or, as I've told some of the PCF clubbers before, hire them all--and any other retired artistic skaters--for my own modern dance company when they retire and I am suddenly filthy rich.)
    Daisuke once told in an interview that he doesn't have the necessary artistic vision to choreograph for himself, although he can recognize good choreography when he sees it (a very free retelling of his already translated words, but that was the gist of it). Probably that has changed, though. As for the dance company - a nice idea , but I have to say that not all skaters are very good dancers (even the most artistic ones).

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast