Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I can't stop gushing about these two routines, especially the LP. It's truly a work of art. Phil Hersh acts like he knows about musicality and art, but his comment about Abbott surely shows what a pleb he is.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Totally in love with his LP. Mesmerizing, indeed.

vCash
    Thanks for the link, Polymer Bob, re Jeremy, "Olympic Athlete of the Week."

Double congrats to Jeremy!!

Jeremy to Yuka in the kiss 'n cry after seeing his scores: "Oh, I got a medal."
    Yes, Jeremy, and the color is gold! Best of luck, Jere-amazin. Keep going strong! There is work yet to be done.

Redemption is attained not only through victory, but is felt within the power of the music and the movement … the journey to it and through it. Thanks for sharing the emotion of that experience with us, Jeremy.

"All my successes have been built on my failures."
    ~ Benjamin Disraeli

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. ... I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
    ~ Michael Jordan

"If there exists no possibility of failure, then victory is meaningless."

vCash
    I was fortunate to watch the performance live in Shanghai.

I had tears running through my eyes as he finished his FP. I cannot remember when was the last time that skating had this kind of impact on me. The FP reminded me all the things I loved about skating (which I had almost completely forgotten about since I quit skating personally and started going to grad school / starting my job in the office).

Thank you Jeremy Abbott.

vCash
    The LP is simply stunning. IMO, what it parallels is Jeff Buttle's Naqoyqatsi (sp?) LP.

I am a dissenter, though, on this season's SP; it's OK but it doesn't make my jaw drop the way "A Day in the Life" did a couple of years ago.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    I was fortunate to watch the performance live in Shanghai.

I had tears running through my eyes as he finished his FP. I cannot remember when was the last time that skating had this kind of impact on me. The FP reminded me all the things I loved about skating (which I had almost completely forgotten about since I quit skating personally and started going to grad school / starting my job in the office).

Thank you Jeremy Abbott.
    I know exactly what you mean! I tear up everytime I watch his LP too; it's like it is a summation of his entire career up to this point. I can't help but flashback in my mind to all the memories of different programs Jeremy has given us and all of his highs and lows along the way when I watch it. The "Redemption" theme of the program permeates through the introspective tone of the music and free, beautiful movement of his entire body as he performs. This is definitively the most memorable figure skating program I have seen in quite some time. IMO, it is epic and iconic; I guess I just "get" Jeremy and I think he "gets" me too. He has never disappointed me and I will always be his fan! To consistently season after season produce programs that are like fine artistic masterpieces that have the ability to effectively touch the viewer's soul is an incredible talent and Jeremy does this again and again and again. What a beautiful skater and man! GUSH x INFINITY!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Is there even a program in his LP?

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Phil Hersh tweeted:
    Hersh's statement only serves to cement his douchebag status. Congratulations, a-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Dear Hersh, there is definitely not much there, under your thick skull so stfu.

vCash
    (snip)

P.S. Why do people keep saying LP when it's FS (or FP if anything)?
    LP means Long Program it is a term that was used for years in figure skating you had the Short Program and the Long Program. Now days the term FS is used but some folks still use LP myself included.

BOT: I agree with all of the folks praising Jeremy's program, for me Jeremy's program had everything in it that I love about figure skating. Jeremy showed us his soul on the ice and that is a rare talent, he was in the zone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalice View Post
    Is there even a program in his LP?
    You really need to get your eye sight tested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    LP means Long Program it is a term that was used for years in figure skating you had the Short Program and the Long Program. Now days the term FS is used but some folks still use LP myself included.
    The official name was always Free Skate, but colloquially many people referred to it as the Long Program, abbreviated LP.

That's probably more true now when the rules for the long program don't make it very free any more.

Peggy Fleming even named her autobiography The Long Program, and in her day there was no short program, just school figures and free skate.

vCash
    Jeremy's programs over the last three seasons - particularly his LP/FS - have reflected choreographic and artistic sophistication rarely seen is skating.
    I can't think of another current skater with the combination of technique and innate artistry required to bring them "to life".
    It has been, and is, a privilege to watch him skate.

Jeremy is a mature artist, elevating the sport, through his work.
    We are/skating is very fortunate to be able to see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! I tear up everytime I watch his LP too; it's like it is a summation of his entire career up to this point. I can't help but flashback in my mind to all the memories of different programs Jeremy has given us and all of his highs and lows along the way when I watch it. The "Redemption" theme of the program permeates through the introspective tone of the music and free, beautiful movement of his entire body as he performs. This is definitively the most memorable figure skating program I have seen in quite some time. IMO, it is epic and iconic; I guess I just "get" Jeremy and I think he "gets" me too. He has never disappointed me and I will always be his fan! To consistently season after season produce programs that are like fine artistic masterpieces that have the ability to effectively touch the viewer's soul is an incredible talent and Jeremy does this again and again and again. What a beautiful skater and man! GUSH x INFINITY!
    ^^This! I just love Jeremy and his LP really gave me goosebumps. It was just beautiful! I really love that he challenges himself every season and his two programs this season continue that tradition.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    The official name was always Free Skate, but colloquially many people referred to it as the Long Program, abbreviated LP.

That's probably more true now when the rules for the long program don't make it very free any more.

Peggy Fleming even named her autobiography The Long Program, and in her day there was no short program, just school figures and free skate.
    Well I learned something new today. I never heard of the LP referred to as
    the FS back in the day. Thanks for the info.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Dear Hersh, there is definitely not much there, under your thick skull so stfu.

How can he say something like that?
    Why would he? Well, it got us talking and probably clicking on his articles. He reads here, he knows most of us (myself included) have been gushing and gushing about this LP. Most likely, he means to provoke and is usually successful.

Christine Brennan discovered "the controversial reporting in figure skating" market, Hersh is just following the lead.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    This is the 4th or 5th year he's gone out of his way to do at least ONE program that sticks out from the rest of the men in choreography, transitions, and interpretation. This year it's both of his programs, he better be rewarded for it. The LP from the theme, to the way he moves, to the choreography with full body movement, jumps that just randomly happen because you are always paying attention to what his feet are doing..

He's way too far behind a few of the guys to really challenge for a World title, but my biggest wish this year (other than Mirai being World Champ) is for Jeremey to finally win a World medal.

vCash
    I think Jeremey is just making it look too easy. The program can appear empty because it is subtle. None of his transitions look hard, so the viewer seems to be assuming they aren't hard. But if you actually quantify what his blades are doing, the upper body movement- his program is PACKED.

His long program isn't my favorite (I prefer fun to introspective, like his short) but it is a great program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post

He's way too far behind a few of the guys to really challenge for a World title, but my biggest wish this year (other than Mirai being World Champ) is for Jeremey to finally win a World medal.
    I agree with your wish. It's already quite bizarre he hasn't got a world medal (as as Nobu not having it). Well, it's clear why they don't have it, it's just pretty shocking!
    I concur with the general feeling of everyone about his programs. Specially his lp. I enjoyed the program of the Kerrs to the same music last season but his takes it to another level. It's his best program ever by a long shot and the highlight of the season for me (along S/S modern dance fest program)

About Mirai, I hope she doesn't become world champion with those programs she has. I like her a lot, but that'd be a terrible competition if it happens

vCash
    ^ It would be no worse than Miki Ando's programs from the year prior winning, plus she's potentially a waaay better skater I think the LP will be much different by the time Nationals are here.

vCash
    LOVE LOVE LOVE. I don't think there's a program of his that I haven't liked. He's showing a ton of versatility and ease in adopting many different movement styles (though I think he had a harder time growing into last year's flamenco SP--it took a while).

Whether he wins any enormous titles/medals or not before retiring (whenever that may be), it sets him up well for a future in professional skating and choreography.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast