Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    BTW, what J name is left for #20?
    Jesse, Justine, Jacob, Jarrod, June, Jesus, Julie, Julie Ann, Josephine but some of those are variations of names they've already used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I've never seen the show and I really don't care how many kids they have, but if my parents named me "Jinger," I'd be out the door on my 18th birthday. And I'd change my name.
    I read that as jing-er for years before I saw their first show. No idea it was the same as Ginger.

That said, I'd be just as pissed if my name was Johannah, after having a Joy-Anna. Or if my name was Jedidiah.

Can't believe it took them to 17 to get a Jennifer! (And that they went for Jinger first...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    I don't watch the show, but I'm wondering if any of the children are gay. Statistically speaking, it's pretty likely.
    That would turn into a whole other reality show.

My question as one who has never seen the show - do viewers think that this show encourages or discourages people to have 15+ kids? Not in a recruitment sense - but in a glamour lifestyle sense? "I want to be like the Duggars" type of thing.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I read that as jing-er for years before I saw their first show. No idea it was the same as Ginger.
    That said, I'd be just as pissed if my name was Johannah, after having a Joy-Anna. Or if my name was Jedidiah.
    Can't believe it took them to 17 to get a Jennifer! (And that they went for Jinger first...)
    Having never seen the show, I assumed "Jinger" rhymed with "ringer." Well, in that case ...
    nah, I'd still be changing my name, at least to spell it like it sounds. (See: Wojohowitz)

vCash
    Jesse, Justine, Jacob, Jarrod, June, Jesus, Julie, Julie Ann, Josephine but some of those are variations of names they've already used.
    That hasn't stopped them before! Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My question as one who has never seen the show - do viewers think that this show encourages or discourages people to have 15+ kids? Not in a recruitment sense - but in a glamour lifestyle sense? "I want to be like the Duggars" type of thing.
    That's a really interesting question. I watch the show if I come across it when it's on, and I also read Michelle and Jim Bob's book:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Duggars-Countin.../dp/141658563X

which I found gave me more of an appreciation for them. I may not agree with all of their faith principles and what they're doing, but they come across as thoughtful people who are deeply committed to their beliefs, and to living those beliefs rather than just talking about them.

That said, I think the show is edited to emphasize the positive things in their lifestyle - the close family bonds, the fun that the kids have with each other, etc. There's also an element of watching just to see how the h*ll a household that size can even function. But even with that selectivity, there are still things that come through that you only pick up on once you've watched for a while. E.g. when they show the kids' rooms, it's like an overcrowded college dorm, and their "closets" are more like a uniform dispensing area. You also notice that when they go on trips and outings, Jim Bob does a lot of standing around in front of a scene and talking while the older girls are doing all the actual hard work of packing and organizing behind him They also hardly ever talk about money or how they manage to get the $$$ to raise that many kids, which is pretty unrealistic.

So, no, I don't think they're presented in a glamorous "be like them" way (say, like the Karda$hians), but OTOH I don't think anyone watching it would necessarily get the impression that this lifestyle is for everyone.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Beach Bum
    vCash

Do they have a Jackson?

My vote for girl name is JeezLouise.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Do they have a Jackson?
    Yeah, I think Jackson came in at #14 or so.

My vote for girl name is JeezLouise.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Anna is Josh's husband.
    This is actually more shocking than her giving birth on the toilet!
    This episode was very graphic, because it showed real labor- no drugs. Anna "kept sweet" during almost all of it, you could tell she was in real pain.... Josh, I believe, took a nap at one point...
    That sounds very .. uh supportive.

As to possible "J" names for JimBob and Michelle's latest child, there was a lively discussion about this here on FSU a while back -- it might have even been as long ago as the baby before Josie (# 18). My suggestion for a boy was to borrow a name from one of Jermaine Jackson's progeny -- Jermajesty. It's hard to top that one, imo. For a girl, perhaps Jacinda ... or for something flowery ... Jonquil, Jasmine, or even Jacaranda. I'd take any one of those myself rather than Jinger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    This is actually more shocking than her giving birth on the toilet!
    Oops, typo.

Though, I suppose we were just talking about the statistical likelyhood that one of them would be gay. So Josh can have a husband...

vCash
    I've never seen the show and I really don't care how many kids they have, but if my parents named me "Jinger," I'd be out the door on my 18th birthday. And I'd change my name.
    My oldest daughter is named Ginger. I think it's cute, and with her Hawaiian background, it suits her perfectly.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    My oldest daughter is named Ginger. I think it's cute, and with her Hawaiian background, it suits her perfectly.
    Ginger is a really nice name. But spelling it "Jinger" just so it starts with a J, even while pronouncing it "Ginger"....that's something else.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Oh, I have no problem at all with Ginger -- I also like it and had a friend in middle school with that name (and a very nice therapist named Ginger a couple of decades later). But Jinger is something entirely different for me. I rank it right up there with Jermajesty.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    On first glance, I'd pronounce Jinger like Ringer instead of like Ginger. Don't know why, I just would.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    On first glance, I'd pronounce Jinger like Ringer instead of like Ginger. Don't know why, I just would.
    I think that is normal upon reading the name...

Does anyone who still watches the show know if the younger kids (Jennifer, Jordyn, maybe even Johannah) ever get beds? Are they still sleeping in pack and plays?

I will never understand why they built the house and bedrooms for the number of kids they had then, rather than with room to grow (I think the middle girls share beds with the oldest girls), since they clearly knew they'd be having more.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think the last time she procreated, someone in the thread suggested jubilee which cracked me up. but i might have to make room for jeezlouise.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    That's how I thought it was pronounced when I first saw it ... and thought it was one of the Duggar sons. Jingo, jungle, jingle ... when there is an initial "J" then a "g" that follows rarely, if ever, is also pronounced that same way ... except for the Duggar's Jinger. It would make for less confusion if they had spelled it "Jinjer" -- but of course, they didn't consult with me.

vCash
    I'm not sure why people have such a problem with the spelling of 'Jinger'?

JINger and GINger are pronounced the exact same way.

vCash
    Can you think of another word that has the same pronounciation as Ginger though? With that spelling (so not injure)

There seem to be lots of words that are like Ringer, singer, stinger, finger, linger. So it seems natural to see -inger you would pronounce it that way, and not like Ginger.

vCash
    I was thinking Ringer too. But I have seen stranger names. I am due with my second TODAY and we still have no idea what to name him. We will come up with something before we leave the hospital because I don't want to have to go to the social security office on my own. Maybe Jinger would work for a boy as well

I can't imagine why anyone who had all the scary complications she has had would keep having children. I was scared enough by the genetic testing I had to do because I am 35 .

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast