Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Can you think of another word that has the same pronounciation as Ginger though? With that spelling (so not injure)

There seem to be lots of words that are like Ringer, singer, stinger, finger, linger. So it seems natural to see -inger you would pronounce it that way, and not like Ginger.
    Well, there is "harbinger." But I think the main confusion for me is for the reason I posted above -- words that begin with j and have a g following in them, rarely have the g pronounced as a j. Of course, I'm sure there probably is an exception to this which someone will shortly provide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesalchows View Post
    I was thinking Ringer too. But I have seen stranger names. I am due with my second TODAY and we still have no idea what to name him. We will come up with something before we leave the hospital because I don't want to have to go to the social security office on my own. Maybe Jinger would work for a boy as well
    You could name a boy Ulrich, since it appears you love salchows

Start a thread to ask for some brain storming. It will at least give you a list to think over...

Congratulations! And good luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    My oldest daughter is named Ginger. I think it's cute, and with her Hawaiian background, it suits her perfectly.
    As a fan of Gilligan's Island, I love the name "Ginger" as well as the spice - I used ginger when I made dinner tonight.

As I said before, I thought "Jinger" rhymed with "ringer," not "ginger." However, I'm not a fan of creative spelling of common names. In our area, Ginger would be spelled "Jinn-jah." (The "-" may/may not be silent.)

I think most people would assume, upon reading the name "Jinger" that it rhymed with "ringer" unless they knew someone with that name or had watched this show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Well, there is "harbinger." But I think the main confusion for me is for the reason I posted above -- words that begin with j and have a g following in them, rarely have the g pronounced as a j. Of course, I'm sure there probably is an exception to this which someone will shortly provide.
    Thanks for that! I really couldn't think of one. I know that word, so I should have been able to...

I actually don't have a problem with Jinger, now that I am used to it- but it does suck to spend your whole life correcting people, and I have never met anyone who thought her name wasn't Jing-er. As an adult, I think I great most people with my name, but as a kid that would be a pain. Of course, since she did not go to public school, it may have been a non-issue for her.

I still think Jedidiah got the worst name, at least in terms of "names used this century"

vCash
    Junja, Jaela, Juleesees, Jabberwocky, Justdance.

Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm not sure why people have such a problem with the spelling of 'Jinger'?
    Because literacy is nice.

vCash
    I still think Jedidiah got the worst name, at least in terms of "names used this century"
    It is somewhat current: the miniature cowboy in the "Night at the Museum" movies is named Jeddediah, iirc. Now, Jeremiah would be mean - the kid would get bullfrogs on every birthday.

I have the perfect name: JUMANJI!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i think the last time she procreated, someone in the thread suggested jubilee which cracked me up. but i might have to make room for jeezlouise.
    Or better yet, Jubilee-Jenna, like Jubilee-Jenna Mandl.

(Shame on any of you who don't know who she is. You've lost your OES cred. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Wo..._Championships

OK, so I never actually saw her skate. I just remember that she won Austrian Nationals one year that Julia Lautowa was 4th.

ETA: Ooh, I like the name Jumanji.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesalchows View Post
    I was thinking Ringer too. But I have seen stranger names. I am due with my second TODAY and we still have no idea what to name him.
    Best wishes!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    It is somewhat current: the miniature cowboy in the "Night at the Museum" movies is named Jeddediah, iirc.
    Isn't he part of a historical display though?

That would be like naming your kid Jsacagawea.

vCash
    I predict..... "Jaba"! hehehe

Ok, on a serious note, while I don't agree with having SO MANY, I hope she has a safe/healthy pregancy, birth, and baby.

vCash
    Isn't he part of a historical display though?

That would be like naming your kid Jsacagawea.
    Bravo!

vCash
    You could name a boy Ulrich, since it appears you love salchows
    Its the only jump I was ever able to rotate. I am the Sarah Hughes of single jumps.

Luckily I scoured my toilet this morning. I am being induced tomorrow so I should make it past any toilet births. I was hoping to watch NHK on icenetwork during midnight feedings this weekend.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Best wishes!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash

JINger and GINger are pronounced the exact same way.
    Nooo....Jinger looks like "ringer" except with a "j" sound (like "jingle"), which is not the same as Ginger.

Anyone with a background in linguistics, feel free to step in and explain this in technical terms
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Yeah, me either. It seems pretty obvious to me, and I've never met anyone who didn't read it as Ginger with a j.

The general rule is an e after a g makes the g soft. Eg, range, stranger, etc. Some exceptions are doubling of the g (eg bugger) and the ng dipthong. In the case of the dipthong, it could be pronounced either as a soft or hard g depending. But there's no more reason to read jinger as Jing-er than Jin-ger. Just common sense would tell you the more likely of the two for a female first name.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    when jinger shaves her head and becomes an angry alternative stripper at a wall street rally sit in, she just might go with JING - er, rhymes w ringer. i'm sorry they ran out of j names, but spelling ginger with a j is just stupid.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Or better yet, Jubilee-Jenna, like Jubilee-Jenna Mandl.

(Shame on any of you who don't know who she is. You've lost your OES cred. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Wo..._Championships

OK, so I never actually saw her skate. I just remember that she won Austrian Nationals one year that Julia Lautowa was 4th.

ETA: Ooh, I like the name Jumanji.
    Ahhh that's the World Juniors where Calvez stood on the ice and cried after falling the third time in her QR FS (on the straight line steps).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    when jinger shaves her head and becomes an angry alternative stripper at a wall street rally sit in, she just might go with JING - er, rhymes w ringer. i'm sorry they ran out of j names, but spelling ginger with a j is just stupid.
    The funny thing, is they didn't run out with her- she was like the 4th girl.

I'm guessing one of them always wanted a Ginger, but by the 6th kid the J thing was clearly in place, so they went with it.

Though I agree, I've seen names that are MUCH worse. Anyone who watches Toddlers and Tiaras likely has. (Man, I'm glad we got rid of cable again, when I have it, I'm TLC's bitch...)

vCash
    Lashiniqua. <3
    It's totally going to be my drag name.

Jeqishenisha. Jeverelle. Jyllene. Jendrelle. Jallena.

Oh the possibilities are endless!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    It is somewhat current: the miniature cowboy in the "Night at the Museum" movies is named Jeddediah, iirc. Now, Jeremiah would be mean - the kid would get bullfrogs on every birthday.

I have the perfect name: JUMANJI!
    This just made me laugh so hard, LOL

I don't agree with a lot of things regarding this family but I do hope Michelle has a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast