Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    He also had a license to practice in Nevada, which was suspended at the same time as his California one.
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    T

Murray had licenses to practice in TX, CA, NV and HI. CA has already been suspended. The other states are expected to follow suit.
    So...which of you is correct?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    So...which of you is correct?
    NV was suspended also. I apologize.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Considering what MJ was paying him, he may not need to work.

I suspect he'll do some time, seeing as he was trying to hide evidence of his guilt.
    He was actually never paid. (He also had the nerve to complain about that and demand his money right after MJ died.)

Probably he won't serve much time because of overcrowding, like others have said, but there's a little bit of hope because the judge doesn't seem to like him all that much. Sentencing will be on Nov 29.
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    He was actually never paid.
    No surprise. MJ was notorious for not paying people or his bills. It's why he was so in debt. But his many creditors are being paid now that he's unable to spend money as quickly as (or before) he earned it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Lawyers Ask For Probation

Lawyers for Michael Jackson's doctor have asked that he receive probation for his involuntary manslaughter conviction, while prosecutors have urged a sentence of four years in prison.
    I know that rules should not be different for an entertainer than for anyone else. Yet I can't help but think about how the man who played such a (the) major role in the death of MICHAEL FRICKIN' JACKSON might serve zero days in jail? Damn...

Defense attorney Nareg Gourjian, citing letters of praise from Murray's former patients, said the doctor is serving a lifetime sentence of self-punishment and asked for probation and community service in the medical field.
    Mr. Remorse, that's Dr. Murray to be sure...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Murray has been given the maximum (4 years in prison) sentence- latest news.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/29/justic...html?hpt=hp_c1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/29/justic...html?hpt=hp_c1
    I'm sorry....but that's just not enough. I don't think that the punishment fits the crime. It's unsettling. Is this what 2011 will be known for?

vCash
    I'm sorry....but that's just not enough. I don't think that the punishment fits the crime. It's unsettling. Is this what 2011 will be known for?
    He was tried for involuntary manslaughter (not murder). For that crime, the punishment is in line. I agree that he deserves a much bigger punishment, but according to our law and the trial he had, this is the most he is going to get. He may even get out in 2 years.

vCash
    That's bad. Really, really bad.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    It's unsettling. Is this what 2011 will be known for?
    Hardly - except maybe for the Jackson family and ubers.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Hardly - except maybe for the Jackson family and ubers.
    I'm referring to crazy/unexpected verdicts. Casey Anthony, Amanda Knox, and now Conrad Murray. I realize that he received the max for the involuntary manslaughter sentence, but it still doesn't feel like enough. This whose abuse of authority caused the death of someone else. I don't like it.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    He was tried for involuntary manslaughter (not murder). For that crime, the punishment is in line. I agree that he deserves a much bigger punishment, but according to our law and the trial he had, this is the most he is going to get. He may even get out in 2 years.
    What I heard reported on the news was that he may get 2 years of house arrest (along with losing his license) .

The whole thing is obscene - *any* doctor that administers propofol outside of a hospital environment (and if he isn't one himself, along with an anesthesiologist present, plus the correct monitoring equipment) should have his license yanked and be prosecuted to the hilt. IMO Conrad Murray should have be charged and found guilty of Second Degree Murder, not involuntary manslaughter.
    Last edited by Cyn; 11-29-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I don't mind his sentence. Sometimes murderers or rapists, or drunk drivers (!)who went out and intentionally did their crimes...and will do it again, get out earlier than that. I am always surprised how drunk drivers, who kill someone, don't often get murder charges against them.

Murray grossly abused his authority and is guilty of everything he was accused of. But, I firmly believe that if it hadn't been him, it would have been another doctor, someone equally desperate for money and willing to overlook the rules for the celebrity, who would have done this for Michael. Michael would have just kept looking for someone to do this for him.

I don't think he's that much of a danger to society... unlike those others i mentioned above. If I met him in an alley, I wouldn't fear for my life. That might be a simple summary on sentences, but that's how i feel. I think it would hurt him far more to lose his licenses and ability to practice. I don't think jail is for everyone.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm referring to crazy/unexpected verdicts. Casey Anthony, Amanda Knox, and now Conrad Murray. I realize that he received the max for the involuntary manslaughter sentence, but it still doesn't feel like enough. This whose abuse of authority caused the death of someone else. I don't like it.
    It stuns me that one can take another's life and be sentenced for just four years. 25 seems like a good number to me. Maybe less if it was accidental. (And having alcohol in your system, or if one had been using a cell phone or blackberry...would not count as accidental deaths.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I don't mind his sentence...Murray grossly abused his authority and is guilty of everything he was accused of. But, I firmly believe that if it hadn't been him, it would have been another doctor, someone equally desperate for money and willing to overlook the rules for the celebrity, who would have done this for Michael. Michael would have just kept looking for someone to do this for him...I think it would hurt him far more to lose his licenses and ability to practice.
    I agree with your entire post. To lose the ability to practice? That is serious punishment.

And personally, I do not consider Michael Jackson an innocent victim. I agree that if not for Murray, he would have eventually found someone to give him what he wants. The super-rich always can. And with the issues that MJ had, I doubt that he would have lived to see 60. Perhaps not even 55.

I won't even bring up the serious crimes that I believe MJ got away with for most of his life.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    And personally, I do not consider Michael Jackson an innocent victim. I agree that if not for Murray, he would have eventually found someone to give him what he wants. The super-rich always can.
    The issue is not whether you are rich or not, it's whether you are an addict or not. Addicts are not innocent or guilty. They are however, very much in need of health care professionals to act professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I won't even bring up the serious crimes that I believe MJ got away with for most of his life.
    What crimes are you referring to and what proof do you have that these crimes were committed?

Or are you gossiping?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The issue is not whether you are rich or not, it's whether you are an addict or not. Addicts are not innocent or guilty. They are however, very much in need of health care professionals to act professionally.
    One can't be helped unless they want to be helped. MJ wasn't looking for help, but was looking for someone to supply him with what he wanted. Reportedly, many health care professionals turned MJ down and refused to be his yes-doc. Eventually he found one.

What crimes are you referring to and what proof do you have that these crimes were committed?

Or are you gossiping?
    Oh PUH-LEESE!! Sleep-overs at his ranch with boys who shared his bed, trips where he shared his bed with boys, millions of dollars paid in settlements...typical behavior, huh?

Believe (or don't believe) what you like.

vCash
    Regardless of whether or not MJ was an addict or if he was a criminal, he didn't deserve to die like that. No one does.

vCash
    I think the doctor did lose his license and will not be able to have house arrest, probably will have to do two years in jail, although Lindsay Lohan surely got off comparatively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I don't mind his sentence. Sometimes murderers or rapists, or drunk drivers (!)who went out and intentionally did their crimes...and will do it again, get out earlier than that. I am always surprised how drunk drivers, who kill someone, don't often get murder charges against them.

Murray grossly abused his authority and is guilty of everything he was accused of. But, I firmly believe that if it hadn't been him, it would have been another doctor, someone equally desperate for money and willing to overlook the rules for the celebrity, who would have done this for Michael. Michael would have just kept looking for someone to do this for him.

I don't think he's that much of a danger to society... unlike those others i mentioned above. If I met him in an alley, I wouldn't fear for my life. That might be a simple summary on sentences, but that's how i feel. I think it would hurt him far more to lose his licenses and ability to practice. I don't think jail is for everyone.
    That does not justify his actions, IMO. It is like saying that if x had not murdered this person, y would have, and therefore x's crime was not all that serious.

It is particularly disturbing that a doctor abused his power. A doctor is someone we trust our lives to. You cannot blame a patient if a doctor kills him (that's essentially what CM did); a patient is sick. A doctor's duty is to help him, not knowingly give him what would kill him eventually.

However, given the fact that Murray was charged with involuntary manslaughter and not with a second degree murder- fairly or unfairly- it was all the punishment he could get. I am at least glad that he did not go scott free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast