Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I think the doctor did lose his license and will not be able to have house arrest, probably will have to do two years in jail, although Lindsay Lohan surely got off comparatively.
    I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you comparing the crimes committed by Conrad Murray to those committed by Lindsay Lohan?

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    One can't be helped unless they want to be helped. MJ wasn't looking for help, but was looking for someone to supply him with what he wanted.
    And ethical professionals look past the addictive personality and help the addict through their time of turmoil.

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Oh PUH-LEESE!! Sleep-overs at his ranch with boys who shared his bed, trips where he shared his bed with boys, millions of dollars paid in settlements...typical behavior, huh?
    Adults have slept with children in their beds before Michael Jackson. It doesn't mean inappropriate things occur. And as far as I am aware, all of those children who spent time with Jackson had parents who allowed their children to not only be alone with Jackson (and staff), but agreed to let their children stay overnight. Parents do not let their children stay overnight at the home of someone who they think might be a child molester.

And out-of-court settlements happen all the time for various reasons, these kinds of settlements do not necessarily mean the person is guilty.

Found two things about Jackson's two trials, both from wikipedia. I know wikipedia is not the greatest source, but if you have better information, please share it with us.

The first case, referencing the Chandler family and the child (Jordan) who Jackson supposedly molested:

In a 2005 lecture at Harvard after Jackson's trial, Jackson's attorney Thomas Mesereau said the following about Jordan Chandler: "The prosecutors tried to get him to show up and he wouldn't. If he had, I had witnesses who were going to come in and say he told them it never happened and that he would never talk to his parents again for what they made him say. It turned out he'd gone into court and got legal emancipation from his parents."
    And from the 2005 trial:

At approximately 2:25pm PDT (21:25 UTC) on June 13, 2005, the jury of the Superior Court of the State of California, held in and for the County of Santa Barbara, determined that Jackson was not guilty on all 10 felony and 4 misdemeanor charges.
    As for "believing what I want to believe"...I can only say that I do not know all of the facts, but I am not going to say that someone is guilty of something which no court of law has proved to be true.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It stuns me that one can take another's life and be sentenced for just four years. 25 seems like a good number to me. Maybe less if it was accidental. (And having alcohol in your system, or if one had been using a cell phone or blackberry...would not count as accidental deaths.)
    He was tried and convicted of involuntary manslaughter -- in essence, making a stupid mistake that caused someone's death. I would expect that the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office didn't think they could make a murder charge stick, so they didn't go after him for murder.

How much time is appropriate for making a stupid mistake that causes someone's death? Some jurisdictions do have maximum sentences longer than four years, but twenty-five years seems an awfully long time, considering the nature of the crime of which he was actually convicted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    He was tried and convicted of involuntary manslaughter -- in essence, making a stupid mistake that caused someone's death. I would expect that the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office didn't think they could make a murder charge stick, so they didn't go after him for murder.

How much time is appropriate for making a stupid mistake that causes someone's death? Some jurisdictions do have maximum sentences longer than four years, but twenty-five years seems an awfully long time, considering the nature of the crime of which he was actually convicted.
    I wouldn't categorize what he did as a mistake since he was well aware of what he was doing. A mistake is an error....this was a doctor who knew what he was doing and that makes it more than a stupid mistake. It was a conscious decision made by someone who full well knew what the consequences could be and he took the risk anyway. Giving in to the wants and desires of an addict when you are a medical professional is not a mistake. And it certainly didn't happen more than once....Murray repeatedly gave MJ the drugs.

I realize that the DA did what he could to ensure a conviction. We have to accept that, but we don't have to like it.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I heard that Dr. Conrad Murray was all set to make tons of money every month going on tour with MJ. You think he would have been a little more careful with his cash cow/goose that's laying the golden egg.

I heard that before he was paid any money, though, MJ passed. Too bad, so sad for Dr. Murray.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just read this on facebook. I've liked Janet's page and this was posted to her page around noon:

My name is Brian Panish. I am the attorney and friend of the Jackson family. They have asked me to read this statement on their behalf.

There is no way to adequately describe the loss of our beloved father, son, brother, and friend. We still look at each other in disbelief – is it really possible that he is gone? As Michael’s parents, we could never have imagined that we would live to witness his... passing; it is simply against the natural order of things. As his brothers and sisters, we will never be able to hold, laugh or perform with our brother again. And as his children, we will grow up without a father: our best friend, our playmate, our dad.

We are not here to seek revenge. There is nothing you can do today that will bring Michael back. But we will keep the love in our hearts that Michael embodied throughout his life – his passion was for unifying the world through the gift of his artistry.

We respectfully request that you impose a sentence that reminds physicians that they cannot sell their services to the highest bidder and cast aside their Hippocratic oath to do no harm. As we all know from this tragedy, doing so can have devastating results.

The Bible reminds us that men cannot really do justice, they can only seek justice. That is all that we, as a family, can ask for here.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Adults have slept with children in their beds before Michael Jackson.
    Ah c'mon man, there is a BIG difference between an aunt sharing a bed with a niece or nephew while visiting during Christmas because there are no other beds in the family's two-bedroom apartment, and Jacko sharing his bed with boys he's not even related to. There were how many bedrooms at Neverland?

The weirdness of the co-sleeping was compounded by the fact Jacko continued the practice after the first time he was questioned about the arrangement. Even if Jacko's behavior didn't molest those kids in bed, he lowered their boundaries as to what's safe behavior with adults, which made those boys a great target for some other perv.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123