Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    http://thetravelinsider.info/travela...allowances.htm

See if that helps you.

What I would tell you is if you go outside the guidelines just be prepared to pay extra and if you get away with it just consider yourself lucky. You have no way of knowing at this stage how full your flights are, how much luggage will be checked, all the things that determine how strict or lax they will be about baggage.

Personally I find 40lbs VERY generous for carryon. If the flights I took allowed everyone to bring that much carry-on they would run out of room for all the passengers carry-on. That's more a first class/business class allowance on the flights I take.
    Nice info! I like the table. However, I am going to ask Lufthansa (just to be sure) if they would apply the rules of the originating flight (Continental/United) or their own, on my flight from here. According to the website, it would apply the Continental rules.

The size restrictions seem pretty uniform throughout, but the weight seems to vary a lot. I never pack 40 lbs in a carry on. If I can't lift it, I don't pack it. That's my self imposed rule. I can lift 20 lbs, and I hope to get away with it. On the way back though I am going to stay just below 18 lbs. I am also planning on wearing a sweater and a jacket, and carry the camera in my purse. They have not yet thought of weighing womens purses.......I should not put ideas in their heads.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    I recently flew on Lufthansa domestically within Germany and my carryon was not weighed. I did not observe any weighing of carry-ons. German colleagues of my husband also told him that they have never had their carry-ons weighed by Lufthansa. Hope this helps.

Quadless
    vCash
    I have always been under the impression that the applicable rules are those of the actual carrier, not the airline that sold you the ticket. In this case, Continental and United have merged, so one would hope that they have standardized their policies by now, but if the flight is operated by United, then I'm pretty sure it's United's rules that apply, not Continental's.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You are kidding, right? I work for a salary. I don't get paid by the hour- there is no OT pay. I would get paid the same whether I work 40 hours or 400 hours in a week. I don't believe in wasting money either. At least I try to manage my money well. If an airline is going to charge me around $15 for every extra kg, that could add up to a lot....$200-$300 is a lot of money to me. May be it's pocket change for you.

As I mentioned in my OP, I had already spent time on their websites, AND did not find the information for my specific situation. I have spent time on the phone, but I was multitasking. I was working on my computer while I was kept on hold (at one time it was a 50 minute wait time!- that's United airlines; the European airlines were relatively easy to reach, and I already know their baggage allowances. Perhaps you should read my post again. The doubt is really about the point of origination, which means Continental and United.

I like to anticipate problems and have solutions ready, just in case. That's why asked those who had experience with similar situations & these airlines. May be if I had disposable income, I would not do that, but it is what it is.
    If it was $15 total, that would be research overkill, but $200-$300 is a lot of money just to move some suitcases around!

And it really shouldn't be that much work to find information. It should be on the airlines to make such information easier to find. [/aspiring graphic designer]

Otherwise I got nothing else useful, other than the amusing anecdote about my aunt always going over her luggage limit. Always. Never fails. Luckily she has money to burn so the extra $50 charge here and there isn't a huge burden...

Not summer :(
    vCash
    I just flew from Edmonton to Orlando the other day, and I couldn't believe the size of the bags people bring into the cabin. The flight from Chicago to Orlando was full (they asked for volunteers to take a later flight in return for travel vouchers) and they were also asking for volunteers to check their carryon -- free of charge. I had my backpack and purse, and both fit under the seat in front of me, along with my pant-length wool winter coat. Yeah, I paid the $30 or whatever it was United charges for checked luggage, but neither the checked nor the carryon was weighed. I did weigh my checked bag the night before and it was well under the 50 lb maximum.

It just kinda bugs me the way people bring on the little rolly bags. But I guess if the airlines allow it...then again, if people keep pushing, the airlines will start disallowing the rolling small suitcases too.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Apologies on behalf of Florida, Really. You hit us during a cool snap.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    I'm not complaining!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Depending on the size of the plane and how full it is, European airlines can get rather picky about the dimensions. When they suspect a carry-on is too big, they make you put it into those metal things the carry-on needs to fit in to. If it doesn't, you're screwed This has happened more often than the carry-on being weighed. Usually it's weighed at the check-on counter, in my experience.
    British Airways has been the pickiest so far (apart from all those cheap airlines like EasyJet etc) Can't remember the last time I flew Lufthansa but if you don't need to check in with Lufthansa and your carry-on isn't suspiciously large then you'll most certainly be fine.
    On the way back, however, you seem to be stuck with needing to check in with Austrian Airlines, right? So, I'd definitely not have a carry-on that would arise suspicion of being too heavy by being overly big or stuffed. Many airline employees go by seeing the carry-on, eying it and estimating its weight. After all, weighing it and having to check it means extra work for them so they probably try to avoid it especially when there are a lot of people. We've never had any problems since our carry-on isn't overly big anymore. The weight issue is a different matter but American Airlines has never caused any trouble at all.

As far as I know all airlines allow one personal item as in one handbag or laptop bag in addition to the carry-on, so you don't get stuck with the extra weight of the laptop for your carry-on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    May be if I had disposable income, I would not do that, but it is what it is.
    I was not trying to suggest that USD 200-300 is "little money" for you to spend. My comments were not intended to offend. I did not know that your job does not offer OT or what your financial situation is. I am sorry my suggestions offended you. Part of my travel approach, which works for me, is to always consider how many hours to spend on seeking savings and good deals vs. spending the same amount of hours to produce or to earn or to secure another contract or client. This was only a travel planning suggestions, at least as far as I am concerned.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I was not trying to suggest that USD 200-300 is "little money" for you to spend. My comments were not intended to offend. I did not know that your job does not offer OT or what your financial situation is. I am sorry my suggestions offended you. Part of my travel approach, which works for me, is to always consider how many hours to spend on seeking savings and good deals vs. spending the same amount of hours to produce or to earn or to secure another contract or client. This was only a travel planning suggestions, at least as far as I am concerned.
    Oh don't worry, my bf does that too, especially when it comes to people's obsession over finding the cheapest gas stations. How much time and energy must people be spending to go to the station that sells their gas for 5 cents a gallon less than the closer place? It's kind of the same freakout over increasing postage stamp prices. Paying an extra 20 cents for a pack of stamps never hurt anyone.

But he doesn't suggest shelling out $200-$300 to save on a couple hours of research when he knows that's how much I earn after two full days of work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    How much time and energy must people be spending to go to the station that sells their gas for 5 cents a gallon less than the closer place? It's kind of the same freakout over increasing postage stamp prices.

Paying an extra 20 cents for a pack of stamps never hurt anyone.
    Yes, but then (since you said "never hurt anyone") in certain countries 20 cents is a lot of money.....

It’s often not the money but the principle. People don’t like to feel being taken advantage of. It’s understandable. ….. Still… it is a good idea to weigh the pros and cons and be selective at picking fights and pursuits.

Back to travel issues.... many travel guide books suggest "buy localy as many items as you can, if you can, and only take minimum to hold you over for 2 days. tooth-paste and hand creams are pretty much the same in many parts of the world".

vCash
    I appreciate all the responses and helpful suggestions. Just to clarify, I did check the web sites of the airlines before I posted. Websites don't always give ALL the information that is needed, so phone calls were essential and it was a very frustrating experience. Even though it did not cost me too much work time, it was very inconvenient to have the phone on one shoulder while I was doing my work.

The one little detail that is missing from the whole thing is- what happens to the carry on when I board Lufthansa? Continental told me 40 lbs. Lufthansa (& Austrian on the way back) has 18 lbs limit. What if my carry on weighed 25 lbs in Phoenix, but in Frankfurt I had to pay 7 times 10 Euros (my estimate is close to $100) for exceeding the limit? That's the situation I am trying to avoid. The airlines- even when I get a live person on line- don't want to give me information on what another air line would do (may be fair enough, if everyone has a different rule), so I have to guess, and I am going to assume the worst possible scenario, as a precaution. It means making sure that my carry on does not weigh more than 17 lbs in either direction (I believe in erring on the side of caution- it may be the engineering mind that makes me do so). I decided on a bag that is light, so I can pack more stuff in it.

The checked baggage is not a problem, because that will be booked to the final destination, using what Continental told me about the baggage (even though United is the operating airline upto Frankfurt, Continental seemed pretty comfortable about giving me the info on the checked baggage). My carry on is small enough that anyone can tell it's lighter than most carry ons (which tend to be somewhat heavy these days). When I tried lifting my carry on tonight, it weighted just 16 lbs, I thought 17.5 lbs would probably my physical limit. I will only carry what I can fit in the checked bag. The 50 lbs for the 1st checked bag seems pretty standard, if the dimensions are within the 62 inch limit, and in the past none of my bags came even close to 50 lbs. Again, I am likely to pack it light so that I can at least drag it around. The advantage of two checked bags is that neither is very heavy, but I don't have that option this time.

So I think I am fairly relaxed about the bags now. Will need to finish packing Tues.night. I have learned a lesson though. Do some research on the airlines (unless it's one of those I am familiar with) LATEST policy on bags, food, etc. before buying the ticket. As a side note, although the Continental agent could not tell me if United would serve food on the domestic portion of the flight, I am assuming that they will charge for the food and it will not be something I like, so I am going to carry my lunch. It is an almost 6 hour flight to DC, so I can't depend on what the airlines provide. International portion is not a problem at all. At least on those flights they are still serving food, and it's usually good.

vCash
    One time, I mailed some extra hiking stuff from Europe back to my home because I didn't need it and didn't want to lug it around through the rest of my vacation. Mailing the package was pretty reasonable, so that may be an option for you if you need to lighten up your bags by 20 pounds or so for the return trip. Have fun!

I wonder if the airlines will ever start charging people based on their weight (and not just the weight of their bags).

vCash
    Vash01, I've used luftansa often and my carry-on has never been weighed.

*Jen*, what airlines do you fly with? It's true I haven't used ryanair in the past few years, because they don't cover my normal destinations, and they're reputed to be the worst, but I'm certainly not flying on Emirates airlines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    Has anyone's carry-on ever been weighed? They sometimes, albeit rarely, check the dimensions, but I fly around Europe all the time and I've never ever seen anybody's carry-on being weighed. It's an important point for me because I have a lot of heavy computer and camera equipment I bring on board, and I've come to realise as long as you pack it small enough, it can weigh a ton and still be ok.
    The last three times I have travelled I have had my carry on luggage weighed. I have flown on Brussels Air and Air France in Europe and Virgin Atlantic to the US and on each I was asked to put my carry on luggage on the scales. Each time it was around 10Kg (i had a laptop) and they all did the suck air through their teeth, umming and ahhhing about whether it was ok and then each confirmed i had a laptop in the bag and said it was ok.

vCash
    Yes, I have seen carry-on bags weighed. Just yesterday, Lufthansa weighed my carry-on bag at the gate. It was overweight, and I was required to check it.

vCash
    If the flights are "connecting" - meaning that there's no overnight break in the travel - then generally the rules for the major flight carry over to the rest of the trip. At least that's what I've found, when I do my hop-skip-and-jump flights Across the Atlantic. It's easier if all the flights are with one airline, but even if they're not, I've found the Euro ones to be decent about allowing transAtlantic baggage rules to prevail for the second and third European flights.

That said, I personally avoid flying Continental and American to Europe at all costs, no matter how cheap they are. I've had too many miserable trips on them to risk them again. United I use only for US flights when absolutely necessary. Lufthanza was fine the last time I flew them but it's been a few years. I'm giving Delta a shot this next time because they were cheap and their times were good. I haven't flown Delta in ages and ages so we'll see how it goes.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Again it really depends on how full the flights are and how much weight they are carrying. I've seen people get through with carry-on that is clearly over the limit and I've seen people been made to check their luggage. The problem also with these cross atlantic flights is they have no way to control the amount of shopping that is done at the airports. It's at times to see someone coming on with a rolling bag, their "handbag" (huge totebags stuffed to capacity ) and then all the crap they bought at dutyfree and then the poor sod who had to board later due to row number doesn't have anywhere to stick their little carryon because all the bins are full.

It's taken me a few years to admit I don't need loads of carry on but now I travel with a little rolling suitcase (proper size ). I stick my wallet (passport, cash and credit card) and book/magazine in the front zipped pocket, stick my laptop in the inside zipped pocket, change of underwear in a little ziplock bag should my luggage not arrive on time and leave the rest empty for all the duty free crap I like to buy .
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    If the flights are "connecting" - meaning that there's no overnight break in the travel - then generally the rules for the major flight carry over to the rest of the trip. At least that's what I've found, when I do my hop-skip-and-jump flights Across the Atlantic. It's easier if all the flights are with one airline, but even if they're not, I've found the Euro ones to be decent about allowing transAtlantic baggage rules to prevail for the second and third European flights.

That said, I personally avoid flying Continental and American to Europe at all costs, no matter how cheap they are. I've had too many miserable trips on them to risk them again. United I use only for US flights when absolutely necessary. Lufthanza was fine the last time I flew them but it's been a few years. I'm giving Delta a shot this next time because they were cheap and their times were good. I haven't flown Delta in ages and ages so we'll see how it goes.
    That is true of the checked baggage. Since they have put such severe limitation on the carry on (18 lbs! Many carry on bags 22 in or less in length weigh half of that!), at least theoretically they could ask to weigh the carry on. I am not taking that risk. I will not go over 18 lbs even though Continental allows 40 lbs for the carry on.

I don't like most US airlines service- whether it's Continental/American/United. I could consider flying Delta. They were good last time I flew internationally on Delta. I like the Asian airlines (Singapore and Cathay) much better. Their service is much better even in economy. In the past when I flew Continental, it was by First class, so I am not sure what kind of service I will get in economy. I am not carrying any expectations with me, so hopefully I won't be too annoyed if the service is poor. Actually that flight will be operated by United, and I think they are about same. Domestically I prefer Southwest to any other airline.

vCash
    Lufthansa did not weigh the carry on in Frunkfurt, where I had the connecting flight, so it means the limits of the originating airline (United) were applicable (40 lbs). To be safe, I had kept my carry on at 20 lbs so I could have easily brought it down to 18 if needed. On the way back I will have the 18 lb limit. I actually think it's a good thing. I don't like having to move heavy carry ons. Even for the checked baggage, I was happy in the end that I had just one suitcase to worry about. Traveling light definitely has its advantages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12