Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

vCash

Yuzuru Hanyu

I know that Yuzuru is from Sendai, one of the areas most affected by the earthquake and tsunami. However, I just read that his rink is still closed and that he has no "home ice" to train on because all the other rinks in Japan are full. So, apparently he made an appearance in over 60 ice shows in order to have practice ice!

Also, when the earthquake struck, he was on the rink, and had to evacuate in his skates!!

Add that to his battle with asthma, and the toughness and resilience of this 16-year old is mind-boggling. I already like him but this gives me even more reason to hope he this season. COC might be a disappointment any other time but when you consider all that he had to go through in the past half year... it's incredible.

(Information credit to 'yon' at the Yuna Forum!)

vCash
    Hanyu's home rink (the only all season ice rink in Miyagi prefecture) was reopened in September. During the off season, he skated 60 times at various ice shows. I think he has appeared literally ALL skating shows in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I know that Yuzuru is from Sendai, one of the areas most affected by the earthquake and tsunami. However, I just read that his rink is still closed and that he has no "home ice" to train on because all the other rinks in Japan are full. So, apparently he made an appearance in over 60 ice shows in order to have practice ice!

Also, when the earthquake struck, he was on the rink, and had to evacuate in his skates!!
    Ice rink Sendai reopned from July 24.
    http://icerink-sendai.com/

Though his house was broken by large earthquake, he lives in Izumi-ward, slightly away from the tsunami hit area.
    Last edited by Glacier cat; 11-06-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks for the info, interesting and very admirable--skating with asthma!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That is amazing.
    Poor kid.

vCash
    Here, you can support his rink by buying the charity products. (I'm not a confederate )
    http://katoshokai.shop32.makeshop.jp/

Yuzuru is very strong boy. I'm sure he will show wonderful skating in Russia, in front of his idol Plushenko Go Yuzuru

vCash
    I thought his idol was Johnny Weir...

Anyway, He brings so much to the table...the speed... the jumps... the spins... the intangibles. I I just hope he can put and keep it all together when i t counts

vCash
    He's my favourite skater at the moment.

I will never forget seeing him live at JGP Torun (that he obviously won). Seeing him race through the ice rink and do a gigantic triple axel. And a beautiful ina bauer that is better than from any of the ladies.

He's just a very special skater.

He has good basics, is very elegant, his jumps are big and he is getting more and more expressive.

I just wish his coach would hire Kenji Miyamoto because her choreography isn't very good. He's skating his programs well but he really deserves better ones.

I really really hope he can hold it together at Japanese Nationals and beat Oda to the World team.

P.S. When you watch him on the ice or on tv, he seems very long limbed so it was shocking to see how tiny he is when you see him off ice.

vCash
    Japan needs four World spots. But at this point I'm rooting for Hanyu too. He truly has the potential to contend by 2014 and needs the experience.

vCash
    I'm a fan of his skating! I hope he works out his stamina issues because he has the potential for greatness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I hope he works out his stamina issues because he has the potential for greatness.
    I guess the asthma isn't helping.

vCash
    I am gutted by his loss. Hanyu is my favourite mens at the moment too, closely followed by Jeremy and Daisuke both tying 2nd place. I am still hopeful he will rep Japan and get a medal at worlds. Experience like this will make him stronger.

How Oda ends up 2nd with 7 triples, no quads, a fall, no musicality, questionable choreography is still annoying as hell. Hanyu deserve better! So talented! I do wish people stop comparing him to Johnny though, because he has his own sets of unique intangibles that I feel is rather noble in his approach to skating. He always skate at full speed, as if to go for broke all the time, yet during the slower moments, his musicality interpretation is very much on the moment, always appropriate but as if uncalculated and rather poetic.

Taka and Dai are tiny too in real life, shorter than me. I walk past them at the WC corridor, just like actors I guess. They all appear bigger on screen than in real life. Jeremy on the other hand, is lovely and tall (somewhat lanky) in real life and has amazing grey/bluish eyes that sparkles
    Last edited by os168; 11-07-2011 at 02:58 AM.

vCash
    me too I really like Hanyu!!! I was so sad for his loss this gp, but he still has a lot of time ahead and next time he will have more experience

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Taka and Dai are tiny too in real life, shorter than me. Jeremy on the other hand, is lovely and tall (somewhat lanky) in real life
    couldn't resist... note Jeremy's knees (nice!!!)
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/images/...1402003-p6.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    me too I really like Hanyu!!! I was so sad for his loss this gp, but he still has a lot of time ahead and next time he will have more experience

couldn't resist... note Jeremy's knees (nice!!!)
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/images/...1402003-p6.jpg

Ironically, he is still the tallest one there

vCash
    He has the cutest smile, such a joy to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I thought his idol was Johnny Weir...
    I think he has always said his idols are Plushenko and Johnny, and he wants to become a skater with Plushenko's jumping abilities and Johnny's elegance/presence on the ice. I think he's becoming a skater he wants to be. He is an amazing talent!

vCash
    after COC final,he landed a 4T and then push Nan Song to do a quad too.then they hug.it's really impressive.sadly CNTV broadcast waste their time to show the promote video.

I think Hanyu need to be stronger,I once thought he's short,but when I say him I know he's not,he's only too thin,that makes him looks very tiny.he need to be more stronger to do a whole FS perfect.
    Last edited by luCN; 11-07-2011 at 07:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He's my favourite skater at the moment.

I will never forget seeing him live at JGP Torun (that he obviously won). Seeing him race through the ice rink and do a gigantic triple axel. And a beautiful ina bauer that is better than from any of the ladies.

He's just a very special skater.

He has good basics, is very elegant, his jumps are big and he is getting more and more expressive.

I just wish his coach would hire Kenji Miyamoto because her choreography isn't very good. He's skating his programs well but he really deserves better ones.

I really really hope he can hold it together at Japanese Nationals and beat Oda to the World team.

P.S. When you watch him on the ice or on tv, he seems very long limbed so it was shocking to see how tiny he is when you see him off ice.
    LOVE HIM.

I have a feeling this is going to be his year of break through. He already has everything. (OK his spins can be improved, esp. next to Kozuka and Oda, but there are not a burden.)

I would like to see him edge out Oda at Nationals but deep down I wonder if Takahashi's jumps can hold up...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would like to see him edge out Oda at Nationals but deep down I wonder if Takahashi's jumps can hold up...
    Even with sky high components, I can totally picture Takahashi placing 5th-6th at Japanese Nationals.

We just need Oda's wife to unexpectedly get pregnant again and surprise him with the news the day of Japanese Nats Men SP so that he can do three popped jumps again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Even with sky high components, I can totally picture Takahashi placing 5th-6th at Japanese Nationals.

We just need Oda's wife to unexpectedly get pregnant again and surprise him with the news the day of Japanese Nats Men SP so that he can do three popped jumps again.
    Either that or perhaps he will dig his own grave and do like 4 combos and 9 triples in the free.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast