Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

the "uplifting" rule in ice dance

has any of the teams (junior/senior) done a disco FD this season?

now because of the uplifting rule, i was actually hoping some teams would tackle more contemporary pieces of music such as disco, or even hiphop or techno, kinda like what b/k did in 2002 (?). i guess because of the CoP requirement of grading closed dance holds as being most difficult, it will limit teams' choice of music that will allow more closed dance holds to the music.

vCash
    I don't think the "uplifting" rule actually was adopted.

vCash
    It wasn't? It seems like most of the teams do do uplifting dances now, except Bobrova/Soloviev usually manage to do something that's not uplifting.

vCash
    Posted this in another thread, but Section 7.2, Adjustments to Program Components in Communication 1677 from May suggests it was for this season:

INTERPRETATION/TIMING

That music does not have an uplifting effect (Free Dance): -1.0 to -2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It wasn't? It seems like most of the teams do do uplifting dances now, except Bobrova/Soloviev usually manage to do something that's not uplifting.
    Yes you're right

It seems it is the FD rule to have an uplifting FD complete with red dress
    We have V/M S/S T/S C/J Know any more ?

Hope I/K are in the B/S category

YEAH!
    vCash
    What about the other "uplifting" type rules of the past?

In the 1994, the dancers were supposed to go back to ballroom. G&P, M&L, and T&D got the memo. U&Z and R&K were "uplifting" but La Strada isn't ballroom. So what exactly was the rule and was it binding or just a guideline? The ballroom style continued to dominate in 1995 and 1996 especially with G&P... but by 1997 the dances were more dramatic, so was the rule changed, or did the couples just gravitate back to their natural styles?

And then in 2002 they were told again to put the "dance back into ice dance" but only FP&M and B&K took that note, and they ended up in 3rd and 4th (albeit with falls). A&P and L&A beat them with heavy drama, so I'm assuming that one was only a suggestion, not in the rules.

vCash
    The man cannot uplift the lady over his head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    Well funny you mention it but one of the Senior Dance teams in Australia is doing a disco FD. They had a clip on Youtube of it but I think it has been taken down. Names are Katherine Firkin & Henri Dupont.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well funny you mention it but one of the Senior Dance teams in Australia is doing a disco FD. They had a clip on Youtube of it but I think it has been taken down. Names are Katherine Firkin & Henri Dupont.
    awwww too bad. maybe for the next season, the judges should specify hiphop/techno/disco music if they want uplifting themes

vCash

Joylyn Yang and Jean Luc Baker (no longer skating together ) had a disco themed SD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    What about the other "uplifting" type rules of the past?

In the 1994, the dancers were supposed to go back to ballroom. G&P, M&L, and T&D got the memo. U&Z and R&K were "uplifting" but La Strada isn't ballroom. So what exactly was the rule and was it binding or just a guideline? The ballroom style continued to dominate in 1995 and 1996 especially with G&P... but by 1997 the dances were more dramatic, so was the rule changed, or did the couples just gravitate back to their natural styles?
    I seem to remember a communication being put out by the ISU between 96 and 97 that told the ice dancers that even though the music must have a clear beat that the couple could dance to, the music and dance didn't specifically have to be ballroom in style, which pretty much everyone was doing in 95 and 96. Of all the teams G&P probably ran with this new freedom the most in 97, and we saw an increasing variety of styles in the years that followed.

And then in 2002 they were told again to put the "dance back into ice dance" but only FP&M and B&K took that note, and they ended up in 3rd and 4th (albeit with falls). A&P and L&A beat them with heavy drama, so I'm assuming that one was only a suggestion, not in the rules.
    There were criticisms about the dances being too dramatic in 2001, but I don't remember any similar communication from the ISU about it. I think F-P&M and B&K were just trying a strategy that would make them stand out if they did something more upbeat and win over the American audience.

vCash
    The idiotic uplifting rule needs to go NAU!

But yes, we need more modern and contemporary dance programs.

vCash
    awwww too bad. maybe for the next season, the judges should specify hiphop/techno/disco music if they want uplifting themes
    Actually check the NRW Trophy thread in the K&C forum. They competed there and the competition put everything on Youtube. So you can get to see the Disco FD from Katherine and Henri.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    why couldnt teams use contemporary songs with definitive rhythms in FDs like how dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance are doing? say, if the teams want to do a waltz type of FD, they can use "carribean blue" or avril lavigne's "keep holding on" as those songs have definitive 3/4 tempos.

vCash
    why couldnt teams use contemporary songs with definitive rhythms in FDs like how dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance are doing? say, if the teams want to do a waltz type of FD, they can use "carribean blue" or avril lavigne's "keep holding on" as those songs have definitive 3/4 tempos.
    hey, never realized that Carribean blue has a waltzy rythm. it would be great if it was skated by someone one day.

vCash
    I would totally enjoy that but I doubt the Eurocentric ISU would appreciate that. Plus, Marina Anissina would personally whip your butt if you do that.

vCash
    It would be up to a team to want to use that kind of music. There is nothing stopping them. The Muse piece the Kerrs used is a waltz timing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It would be up to a team to want to use that kind of music. There is nothing stopping them. The Muse piece the Kerrs used is a waltz timing.
    that's what i liked about the kerrs--their unusual music selections. but then again, such music choices wont win medals.

vCash
    that's what i liked about the kerrs--their unusual music selections. but then again, such music choices wont win medals.
    Yeah but you won't win medals on music selection alone either. There is a lot more too it than that. Such as other teams being better.

Most skaters are pretty conservative when it comes to music anyway. Just look at the Galas.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I remember reading that this was the ISU's intent for the waltz SD. They wanted the dancers to choose more modern songs for the waltz and specifically mentioned Dancing with the Stars. I think it was in Jenya's report from an ISU presentation she attended. A few went for it... Crone & Poirier with "Fallin" and Bobrova & Soloviev with "Delilah."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast