Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    you guys are cracking me up!

In most disciplines, with a few simple changes, I think the sky's the limit! If they can somehow level out the awarding of GOE, and not have it be a function of fame, world rank or country, the sport would be in great shape.

Men's skating is the most exciting it's ever been, imo. In part, this comes from the fantastic depth. And the depth comes directly from COP and volatility it allows for in the standings. The programs we're seeing are phenomenal! I honestly wouldn't change anything here.

On the ladies side, if they simply did to step sequences what they did to the spirals, I predict all would be right with the world within a few seasons.

Pairs
    1) no credit for side by side elements performed without synchronicity
    2) set one base value amount for each type of death spiral as well as one for step sequences, no levels awarded

(I suppose at this point there's no way to "De-Moskvina-fy" all the crazy stuff going on in lifts.)

Currently, people are trying to stand out through achievement of levels. When you take the levels away, I predict they will return to using choreography and emotion to try to separate themselves from the pack.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    What was so emotional about Witt's Carmen? It was kind of bimboesque if you ask me. But she does make some good points about COP.

vCash
    But flirting is an art form… along with extreme wedgies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post

Toot-toot, heyyyyyyyyy, beep beep.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I have to agree with La Witt. How I miss the emotional intensity of Beatrix Schuba!!!
    Me too ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What was so emotional about Witt's Carmen? It was kind of bimboesque if you ask me. But she does make some good points about COP.
    I've just come to accept that I'm like Elaine Benice trying to make it through The English Patient, when it comes to Witt's Carmen. I just don't get it, but I know that 90% of world just drools all over themselves watching it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedIceFan View Post
    Empty programs or empty arenas?
    Honestly, competitions like Skate America have always had empty arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I've just come to accept that I'm like Elaine Benice trying to make it through The English Patient, when it comes to Witt's Carmen. I just don't get it, but I know that 90% of world just drools all over themselves watching it.
    Do 90% of the world really drool over it? I've never heard anyone drool over it. If you are out there and think it's drool-worthy, please speak up!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I think it's drool-worthy and I guess others do too (maybe not 90%) considering they made a whole Carmen on Ice special out of it and she won an Emmy for it. But everyone's tastes differ... for example I feel like berthesghost does about Witt's Carmen with regard to Kwan's Lyra Angelica.

I don't really agree with Witt's general point though cause I find her the only interesting lady from the 80s, so it's not like times were much better then, IMO.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post
    And spark...the ever-puke evoking spark..

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think it's drool-worthy and I guess others do too (maybe not 90%) considering they made a whole Carmen on Ice special out of it and she won an Emmy for it. But everyone's tastes differ... for example I feel like berthesghost does about Witt's Carmen with regard to Kwan's Lyra Angelica.

I love the Carmen on Ice special. It still holds up very well. However, her Olympic Carmen number left me very cold. I didn't think it was much of anything.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    It was a million times better than Debi Thomas's horrendous "Carmen". It wasn't much of a battle in the end. Even in a country where skating interest is practically non-existent everybody remembers Witt's "Carmen".
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It was a million times better than Debi Thomas's horrendous "Carmen". It wasn't much of a battle in the end. Even in a country where skating interest is practically non-existent everybody remembers Witt's "Carmen".
    Yes, Witt was a much better competitor. The program not so great. YMMV

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    MMDV. It's an iconic programme for good reason.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It was a million times better than Debi Thomas's horrendous "Carmen".
    Yes.

It wasn't much of a battle in the end.
    Yes.

Even in a country where skating interest is practically non-existent everybody remembers Witt's "Carmen".
    Eh, really? I think people remember the battle and that Witt won but do they really remember the program? I do remember the dress and that's about it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    That's how I feel. Witt had nerves of steel. And while I don't care for her Carmen, it was Debi's program to lose, and Debi choked horribly. I was a little pissed at her for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    That's how I feel. Witt had nerves of steel. And while I don't care for her Carmen, it was Debi's program to lose, and Debi choked horribly. I was a little pissed at her for it.
    To me Witt is Carmen. The woman every man wants, the heart breaking vixen. I think Debbie should have chosen other music. I don't think Debbie has that same type of charisma.

vCash
    I'm sure that Katerina Witt - and others including fans - feel the same way. Figure skating has changed dramatically. I think personally as a fan who appreciates both the artistry and the technical, I do miss the freedom skaters once had. But I also recognize that this was the only way to solve the problem. Every sport has to be accountable and figure skating especially ice dance was in the dark ages about this. I do respect what Katerina said though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I'm sure that Katerina Witt - and others including fans - feel the same way. Figure skating has changed dramatically. I think personally as a fan who appreciates both the artistry and the technical, I do miss the freedom skaters once had. But I also recognize that this was the only way to solve the problem. Every sport has to be accountable and figure skating especially ice dance was in the dark ages about this. I do respect what Katerina said though.
    I'm not saying that I'd call Witt the greatest artistic or technical skater of all time. But I think that Carmen was the perfect role for her. And Witt clearly lived her Carmen and felt the part, Debbie not so much.
    Last edited by bek; 11-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.

vCash
    Not sure what's so emotional about a short program skated to The Muppet Show or a long program to Superman...

vCash
    Katarina wants to know where all the emotion has gone? Maybe the same place as all the flowers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast