Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    actually, what she said was... which is IMHO complete and utter nonsense making her look stupid.

Does she seriously think Hughes "owned the event" in SLC in a way that Tara failed to in 98, or Kristi failed to in 92, or Janet failed to in 72 or Peggy failed to in 68, etc..?

her reasoning for Hughes could be said for almost everyone of the other 9 on the list, but not the other way around.
    Heh, and did "owning the event" include being egregiously held up in the short program based on home cooking and a previous World medal won by default?

vCash
    What kind of list is this anyways? No Janet Lynn no Peggy Fleming? But one hit wonders like Sarah Hughes or Elizabeth Manley make the list? And no Carol Heiss who dominated in her time like no skater since Sonja Henie? Looking at this list you'd think it was Canadian women who won 7 OGM's not the US.

vCash
    Evidently it is PJ's list of who she'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time, ranked in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if PJ were the sole judge.

So it's PJ's personal top 10 list, not her pronouncement of the top 10 ever that everyone must agree on.

But the wording is ambiguous and certainly suggests the latter, which is why so many whose own personal lists or attempts at universal lists are very different take exception.

vCash
    LOL, Sarah Hughes and Liz Manley ?

Banned Member
    vCash
    I particularly enjoyed how she implied that the ISU changed skating scoring and added a SP due to the brilliance of the Canadian woman skater she picked at the time (god, I just read it and am blanking.) Anyway, the one who beat JANET LYNN (who was most likely responsible for the scoring changes and addition of a SP, certainly not Canadian lady)

vCash
    Is this her list of the best all-time or just some random olympic/world champions she thought of? I couldn't tell the difference

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    For each of the ladies there is a video to view, ie, Sarah's OLY lp, MK's Salome..I thought maybe it was the performace of one skater vs the performance of others..which is why Sarah, for example, was higher than MK.

vCash
    I don't see how she didn't put Carol Heiss on the list. Like Michele Kwan, Carol was a 5-time World Champion, but she won hers in consecutive years, 1956 through 1960. She was also the 1960 Olympic gold medalwinner and the 1956 silver Olympic medalwinner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Evidently it is PJ's list of who she'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time, ranked in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if PJ were the sole judge.
    That's why - as it says, it's PJ's list of WHO she'd personally choose to skate in a fantasy competition (not the best, not all the winners, or the classics)...just plain old skaters she enjoyed watching and would go in a skate-off.

If those were the 10 skaters, she put them in the order she thinks they'd finish on a level playing field.

Not much for debate, except to add who you would choose in your top 10 skate-off.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    I don't see how she didn't put Carol Heiss on the list. Like Michele Kwan, Carol was a 5-time World Champion, but she won hers in consecutive years, 1956 through 1960. She was also the 1960 Olympic gold medalwinner and the 1956 silver Olympic medalwinner.
    For her first she also beat the reigning World and Olympic champion at that champion's last Worlds, the kind of hierarchy-breaking that was rare in the time of figures.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Just to keep track this "stupid, idiot, no credibility, hack" should have put the following skaters on her fantasy list of ten instead of the Canadian-centric list she presented (even though only 3 of the 10 were Canadian, although I know some are going to insist on using Hughes for their argument ):

1.Tara Lipinski
    2.Mao Asada
    3.Kristi Yamaguchi
    4. Joannie Rochette
    5. Irina Slutskaya
    6. Janet Lynn
    7. Owen *
    8. Colledge *

9. Peggy Flemming
    10. Shizukai Arakawa
    11. Sasha Cohen
    12. Trixi Shuba
    13. Carol Heiss

and of the ones she had on her list I gather the following are acceptable to most:

14. Michelle Kwan
    15. Sonje Henie
    16. Midori Ito
    17. Katerina Witt
    18. Yuna Kim
    19. Dorothy Hamill

Maybe if she typed smaller she could squeeze them all into a top ten list

*I don't know who #´s 7 and 8 are but I'm certain they were more than deserving of a spot
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Not to beat a dead horse but when I saw Sarah Hughes I stopped and went back to re-read the instructions to see if there was a "not including" list that I missed..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is PJ's list. I am sure we would all have our own.
    Agreed. This would not be my list but I like reading why this is PJ's list. Interesting reasons and wonderful memories....

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    For each of the ladies there is a video to view, ie, Sarah's OLY lp, MK's Salome..I thought maybe it was the performace of one skater vs the performance of others..which is why Sarah, for example, was higher than MK.
    So she's saying Sarah's performance of her Olympic LP to whatever was better than Michelle's magical performance of Salome?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Another thing that, although she clearly stated it was her opinion, still had me a little , was her reason for Kwan:

"When she skated her Salome program on her way to becoming the 1996 world champion, she became the first skater for me whose choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins."

It was a beautiful Gold medal worthy performance of course, but the first to have choreography and music as an integral part of the program? For one, Chen Lu had a program with those traits just minutes before that, not to mention all the great artists from the years past. Baiul was able to use music and choreography as an integral part of the program to an extent that she didn't even need the technical elements in the program to win major competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Another thing that, although she clearly stated it was her opinion, still had me a little , was her reason for Kwan:

"When she skated her Salome program on her way to becoming the 1996 world champion, she became the first skater for me whose choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins."

It was a beautiful Gold medal worthy performance of course, but the first to have choreography and music as an integral part of the program? For one, Chen Lu had a program with those traits just minutes before that, not to mention all the great artists from the years past. Baiul was able to use music and choreography as an integral part of the program to an extent that she didn't even need the technical elements in the program to win major competitions.
    Hahahahahaha!
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    It was a beautiful Gold medal worthy performance of course, but the first to have choreography and music as an integral part of the program?
    But if PJ acknowledged that, how would she suck up to Canadian Choreographic Luminary Lori Nichol? Clearly, MK's success was just a pre-saging of the glory of Patrick Chan, like all those Biblical prophecies in the "Old Testament" that were re-interpreted to foretell the coming of Jesus ex-post-facto.

You could really just replace PJ Kwong's articles with a bunch of copy&pasted lines reading "CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA". They'd probably be more interesting that way anyway.

vCash
    Do some of you purposely leave out words in the article so it reads the way you want.
    PJ said
    she became the first skater for me whose choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins."
    Note the bolded words - for me. She didn't say Kwan was the first skater EVER, only that Kwan was the first for her! Sheesh people, give the woman a break and read what it actually there without putting such a spin on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is FSU and we like to put our own spin on things
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    7. Owen *
    8. Colledge *

Maybe if she typed smaller she could squeeze them all into a top ten list

*I don't know who #´s 7 and 8 are but I'm certain they were more than deserving of a spot
    That's not in sarcasm font, right? Okay then - I assume that Owen is Laurence Owen, who sadly did not have the opportunity to accomplish enough to be on a top ten list. Colledge is the great Cecilia Colledge, certainly a better choice for a top ten list than some of PJ's picks.

And yes, lots of good suggestions have come up in this thread - more than enough to put together a nice alternative top ten (probably a better one than PJ's ).

professordeb, even with the addition of "for me" it still doesn't makes much sense IMO... for someone to argue that Kwan was the first whose "choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins" makes me wonder what exactly that person has been watching over the years - surely it suggests that some great performances were missed or ignored.

vCash
    I think its difficult to have a top 10 list calling for all of skating because the skaters of past times get the raw end of the deal. This being said the Canadian ties thing is silly.

Also how is Hughes higher ranked than Asada? Hughes was pretty much a one hit wonder. The Olympics was the only major competition she ever won, and she won it in a splat fest/with others not skating well. And her win was questionable too with the the underrotated jumps. Hughes never even won her own Nationals. (Now of course Yagudin never won his, but he won every other major title, so we will leave that alone)
    Asada in contrast has won every major title in this sport but the Olympics and has won several. She lost the Olympics landing 3 freaking triple axels so it wasn't that she skated poorly. And part of what her was things like edge calls on 3lutzs that Hughes NEVER had to deal with.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast