2. Kurt Browning
    3. Brian Orser
    4. Don Jackson
    5. Vern Taylor
    6. Elvis Stoyko
    7. Jeff Buttle
    8. Eman Sandu
    9. Dick Button
    10. Phillippe Candeloro (she liked when he took his shirt off)
    OFF THE TOPIC but Emanuel Sandhu! How long have I been missing that name? What is he up to lately? I watched several clips of him skating in galas in Europe.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    professordeb, even with the addition of "for me" it still doesn't makes much sense IMO... for someone to argue that Kwan was the first whose "choreography and music were an integral part of the program and not just a backdrop for jumps and spins" makes me wonder what exactly that person has been watching over the years - surely it suggests that some great performances were missed or ignored.
    She probably didn't watch figure skating outside of Canadian ladies until later than people like Lynn were competing. So those people, seen after the fact, sometimes in short clips, probably didn't move her personally like seeing Kwan did.

I can understand that but I think it's unfortunate too.

And I still think it's crazy to think Salome wouldn't beat Hughes' Olympic LP hands down in a face off.

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    OFF THE TOPIC but Emanuel Sandhu! How long have I been missing that name? What is he up to lately? I watched several clips of him skating in galas in Europe.
    I heard a rumor he was signed up for Canadian Sectionals.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    She probably didn't watch figure skating outside of Canadian ladies until later than people like Lynn were competing. So those people, seen after the fact, sometimes in short clips, probably didn't move her personally like seeing Kwan did.
    I agree, but I don't think you need to go back to Janet Lynn to find another example of a skater who used the music well - as someone pointed out already in this thread, just minutes before Kwan skated Salome at 96 Worlds, Lu Chen gave a beautiful performance to Rach 2. And she also skated the fabulous Last Emperor FS in 1995 - choreographed by a Canadian, no less, so how is she not on the list?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I think if we made a personal top 10 list, we'd all have one or two skaters that lots of others would have serious WTF moments. I wouldn't believe a personal favorite list that was all consistently good skaters who are all World and Olympic medalists. I would look at that and say, this person isn't a real fan.

For example, my personal favorite list would include Butyrskaya. I understand how many would mock that choice, but you know what, I loves her. I loves her stiff knees, her temper tantrums, her funky landings and her often questionable taste in costumes, but watching her brings me joy. Whatever it is in skating that makes you feel connected to the sport, she had it for me.
    all of this. I am also surprised by some of the inclusions and some of the omissions, but I don't think there really is any universal list. My list would be stacked with US ladies, though, and Kristi would be on it for what she did for pro women's skating.

and I also loved Butyrskaya. I was so excited when I got to see her skate live--she just has so much presence. I cannot tell you exactly why aside from that presence, but watching her also brings me joy, and that is all I need to know

also, just my opinion, but I want to add that I do not think that marbri meant to belittle anyone, though I can understand why that comment was interpreted in that way. I think marbri wanted to point out that our confusion at PJ's list does not really justify calling her names. and we know PJ sometimes looks at these boards...I am just hoping she does not stumble upon this thread (even though I think the majority of the posts are really interesting).

vCash
    she said Yagudin was on her list

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    she said Yagudin was on her list
    I don't think she wants to risk the wrath of the Yagudin die-hards. I know I wouldn't want to.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    ...I heard a rumor he was signed up for Canadian Sectionals.
    I heard the same thing and that he is training at 8-Rinks. Haven't heard anything about a coach though .... I'll have to see what I can dig up.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash

vCash
    I like PJ's top 10 men.
    Crazy about sports!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I like PJ's top 10 men.
    Me, too. I just replaced Plushy with Scott Hamilton.

vCash
    He may be setting the pace for Sochi and be really talented in all levels but Chan is just premature!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    He may be setting the pace for Sochi and be really talented in all levels but Chan is just premature!
    Premature? HUH??? I pretty sure he's fully formed and has probably reached his max on height.
    Maybe you meant immature? as in still a young man?
    Crazy about sports!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Premature? HUH??? I pretty sure he's fully formed and has probably reached his max on height.
    Perhaps what caseyedwards meant was that it was premature to put Patrick on the list of "greats" as he has a way to go in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Perhaps what caseyedwards meant was that it was premature to put Patrick on the list of "greats" as he has a way to go in his career.
    Ok, using premature in that context would make sense. Thanks
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Sarah Hughes? Karen Magnussen? Elizabeth Manley? I'd replace them with Irina Slutskaya, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Joannie Rochette. And then switch around the order of finish.
    Rochette does not deserve to be on the list at all. Certainly not more than Manley or Magnussen (and I wouldnt have either of those on the top 10 list either btw). Magnussen and Manley were greater forces in their time than Rochette was in hers. Rochette had one Worlds and one Olympics she could have medaled in only, and she was never a gold threat at either. She did not have the skills to match the best of her era- Kim or Asada, while Magnussen and Manley did have the skills on their best day in certain ways to match or exceed the best of their time. Manley was close to winning both the 88 Olympics and 88 Worlds, and won the LP at both, and was a threat to win the 87 Worlds had she skated her best LP. Magnussen did win Worlds, an Olympic silver, and 4 straight World or Olympic medals. Not to mention some people dont even agree with Rochette's World silver and Olympic bronze (I do but some have argued them).

Hughes in the top 10 is the biggest joke ever though. Hughes wouldnt make my top 50, maybe not even my top 100 if I went through all the top skaters in history. Hughes above Kwan and even Slutskaya, hahaha. SLC was just one event, and she had to skate out of her skin to beat those two skating their worst. Slutskaya would have even easily won with her 2000 and 2001 Worlds performances, which werent even her best and where she lost to Kwan, but still would have been enough to have beaten Hughes "performance of a lifetime". Kwan owned Hughes like her pet mule on the whole, 9 U.S titles to 0, 9 World medals to 1 World bronze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    My top3 men(Curry, Kurt, Yagudin) all are on the list.

And I am glad that Plushenko makes the list, although he is not my type of skater.
    What a charisma. A GRAND presence on the ice.

vCash
    Chan???? Already????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Ok, using premature in that context would make sense. Thanks
    kwanette is correct.

vCash
    I'm not sure whether Orser, Boitano, or Stojko would make my top ten.

And Chan needs a few more seasons to qualify for greatness IMO - though he is heading in that direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Evidently it is PJ's list of who she'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time, ranked in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if PJ were the sole judge.
    But she said the event would include the 10 best of all time, so she is effectively picking her top ten best of all time. I don't see how Sarah Hughes could even conceivably be considered 10 best of all time. I could understand if this were a list of her 10 favorite Olympic performances, because even though I'm not a SH fan, I will admit she gave a very strong freeskate performance in SLC. But top ten ladies skater of all time, based on one great performance? Hellz no. I think PJ just wanted to include skaters that average Canadian citizens have heard of, and Sarah got a lot of attention winning OGM right after the SLC pairs scandal.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast