Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

vCash
    Thanks for posting. I love PJ's writing and she has a great sense of humour.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    A mix of best ever and good stories

YEAH!
    vCash
    With the emphasis on Canadians and good stories, I'm surprised Joannie Rochette didn't make the list.

vCash
    I would have put Joannie in instead of Karen M. Yes, the emphasis on Canadians, but then that is PJ's main audience. It would be quite the competition that's for sure.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    she has her right to her opinion, but no Tara?, Mao? Kristi? Rochette? Slutskaya? Lynn? Owen? Colledge? Anybody else? 3 Canadian Ladies in that list of 10...yeah.... Honestly the fact that Hughes is on that list (nothing against, just not top 10 ) and the ladies I mentioned are not, it just seems like a list to please Canadians.
    Last edited by DimaToe; 11-04-2011 at 03:37 AM.

vCash
    I would have included Peggy, Kristi or Tara instead of Hughes. They all have OGMs but Peggy, Kristi and Tara are also National and World Champions, and had pro careers, whereas Sarah personifies one-hit wonder and her SOI stint was a disaster. Also, Hughes didn't "own" the entire SLC ladies event; she only owned the freeskate and got lucky that Kwan and Slutskaya flopped. She's a nice girl but top ten? Not even top twenty-five.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Hughes? Really?

Well, that's her list I guess! Only 2 on this list (Kwan and Ito) would make my list. I think...

vCash
    Her list has 5 skaters with Canadian connections or roots and 4 obvious ones: Kwan, Ito, Witt, and Henie. The one I couldn't figure out was Dorothy Hamil.

I can imagine her top 10 men would be Chan, Orser, Cranston, Don Jackson, Browning plus some obvious ones like Plushenko, Dick Button. I wonder who the odd one would be.

vCash
    Barbara Ann Scott is number one? Well, that's certainly an interesting list.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes? Karen Magnussen? Elizabeth Manley? I'd replace them with Irina Slutskaya, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Joannie Rochette. And then switch around the order of finish.

vCash
    I can imagine what PJ's lists would be like in the other disciplines! You could probably come up with a more convincing top 10 out of the list of skaters who failed to make the cut here...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Its funny how she mentions that Hughes had the stars align just right and gave the performance of her life on the one night it counted and then "never did it again" but yet she is in her top 10 and above some big names. LOL
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It is PJ's list. I am sure we would all have our own.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    No wonder Canadians and Canadian connections are so highly touted since everything great about figure skating such as CoP originates from Canada.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Surprised nobody mentions Janet Lynn. Scoring was changed because of her.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Surprised nobody mentions Janet Lynn. Scoring was changed because of her.
    ...I did

vCash
    Sarah Hughes? I don't think she's even one of the top ten American ladies of all time. PJ Kwong is officialy a hack!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Her list has 5 skaters with Canadian connections or roots and 4 obvious ones: Kwan, Ito, Witt, and Henie. The one I couldn't figure out was Dorothy Hamil.

I can imagine her top 10 men would be Chan, Orser, Cranston, Don Jackson, Browning plus some obvious ones like Plushenko, Dick Button. I wonder who the odd one would be.
    To be fair, from your list Chan has the highest ever scores, Orser is a 2x O silver medalist, Cranston helped make Artistry important, Jackson had the Sarah Hughes moment when he won Worlds (and did the first triple lutz), Browning is obvious with his 4x worlds and the first ratified quad, as are Plush and Dick. But also you'd have to include Yags, and maybe Petrenko, Boitano, Hamilton and Robin Cousins. I could maybe see Vern Taylor too, as another Canadian on the list, because of the triple axel.
    Last edited by screech; 11-04-2011 at 06:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    But also you'd have to include Yags, and maybe Petrenko, Boitano, Hamilton and Robin Cousins.
    John Curry too!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast