Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Statistics are all good and well for documentation, but personal experiences are all that I can relate to.

My son wanted residential custody as they have "joint custody" meaning major decisions are to be made by both parent. Residential custody was ruled against him. His lawyer and several other lawyers told him that the state supreme court in Iowa had recently ruled in favor of the mother in several situations. I researched it but the legalese stuff got me so I can not tell you if it is true or not, but at least one case I found did indicate that. I consulted my brother who is a lawyer and he concurred that my son could continue to appeal, but the odds were stacked against him. My son's lawyer quoted him a 2-10% probability of winning an appeal (I do not know where he got those percentages, but it was his lawyer's experiences) and that at a minimum would be $5,000.00 IF things progressed as quickly as possible and would probably in the range of $10,000.

If things are really changing, I am happy for those fathers who got custody when they sought it. As I said, all I can go on is my personal experiences.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Much as I'm sure everyone just wants this to go away, part of me thinks that Bieber should go ahead with the lawsuit that was rumoured. I don't think people should be able to get away with making accusations of this magnitude, and it might, as they apparently intend, serve as notice to others that you can't do this kind of thing and get away with it.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I thought there was news the other day that some high profile Chicago lawyer had taken on the case
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So did they do the DNA test?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    So did they do the DNA test?
    From what I heard this morning on FOX, yes. Not Justin's baby, baby, baby ...

O-

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Much as I'm sure everyone just wants this to go away, part of me thinks that Bieber should go ahead with the lawsuit that was rumoured. I don't think people should be able to get away with making accusations of this magnitude, and it might, as they apparently intend, serve as notice to others that you can't do this kind of thing and get away with it.
    I agree. Celebrities give up much of their privacy, but this is just too much.

vCash
    From what I read, they're still pursuing it, just not "in public". They are still wanting a DNA test, and her lawyer dismisses the idea that he would follow through with a counter-suit since she has no money and he wouldn't profit from it.

Either her lawyer is overly confident, or they really do have something on JB.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    From what I read, they're still pursuing it, just not "in public". They are still wanting a DNA test, and her lawyer dismisses the idea that he would follow through with a counter-suit since she has no money and he wouldn't profit from it.
    I would be interested to see the source on this. Naturally contradictory details are flying, but it's my understanding that her lawyers have dumped her. Maybe sure herself is saying she still wants the test, but that sounds to me like someone who has dug themselves in deep and is refusing to face reality.

The idea that Bieber would not countersue because he doesn't need the money is absurd. It's not about the money at all - he says himself that he refuses to be a victim. According to quotes from one of his lawyers, the aim of a countersuit would be to make a strong statement that sends a clear message to anyone else who attempts to jump on his money train that you cannot make false accusations like this and get away with it.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...yer-hire-1107/

That's an article that mentions the addition of that Chicago lawyer to the team.

Is it possible that TMZ has misinterpreted some facts? Is it possible the original suit filed in California has been dropped so another can be filed elsewhere? I don't know how the law works here ie. does the Chicago lawyer need to have some ties or papers to represent a case filed in California?

I suppose the other option is after a week of working on this case he thought her story was dodgy and was no longer interested in pursuing it? At any rate I don't think it's as clean as the TMZ article leads one to believe.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    And to answer my own questions it's still on, just a different legal team:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...still-on-1116/

vCash
    ^ Thanks for the updated info. Re the original announcement that the case was being withdrawn, TMZ is not always the most trust-worthy of sources and on occasion can be way off-base. They claimed to have sighted indicted former Penn State assistant coach Sandusky at LaGuardia airport a few days ago ... and the photograph turned out to be just some random old man eating a donut.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Interesting - thanks for sharing those articles marbri.

Sounds like TMZ only got half the story - the case has been dropped, and her original lawyers are off it. What they missed is that there are other lawyers, and they are considering their options.

I note that word "negotiations" is being used - my understanding (admittedly from legal fiction!) is that this doesn't necessarily translate to "Bieber's going to pay her off." Negotiations seem to be around the terms and logistics of DNA testing at the moment, and could also involve all the pre-trial business such as locations, media access, sharing of case files, etc.

vCash
    If he turns out to be the father, I bet he will pay her off with a huge sum in return for complete confidentiality. I expect to only hear the results if he isn't the father.

I'm not usually one to say no smoke without fire, but it seems unlikely that Beiber had absolutely nothing to do with her. Maybe she wasn't sure at 1st who the father is but maybe the ex-boyfriend has been ruled out so it only leaves Beiber now. The impregnation happened when he was a newbie celeb...it has happened before that new fame has gone to people's heads & they do things they wouldn't normally do. I'm willing to wait & see before I call her a crackpot liar.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I'm not usually one to say no smoke without fire, but it seems unlikely that Beiber had absolutely nothing to do with her. Maybe she wasn't sure at 1st who the father is but maybe the ex-boyfriend has been ruled out so it only leaves Beiber now. The impregnation happened when he was a newbie celeb...it has happened before that new fame has gone to people's heads & they do things they wouldn't normally do. I'm willing to wait & see before I call her a crackpot liar.
    I definitely see your point, except that I can also see how this could easily be complete fabrication.

He wouldn't be the first celebrity who a fan had fixated on, imagining - and even believing - they have a relationship when they don't. The smallest encounter - getting your picture taken with the celebrity, or even just imagining it was you he was pointing at in the audience - can become the basis for a fully developed fantasy that is so wished for that the person actually begins to believe it. I had a friend as a kid who met a famous tennis player once, and for the next year she told everyone that this tennis player was her best friend. She simply refused to waiver on it. Sometimes people who tell a lie want you to believe it so badly that they end up believing it themselves.

Also, he's young, but a year ago he was already a very big star with extensive experience dealing with crazed fans. And, from the very beginning, he has had a very strong team around him who - from what I can tell - has managed both his career and his personal life very, very carefully. Sure, there would have been no shortage of girls throwing themselves at him, and one guesses that he's likely taken advantage of those opportunities. But her story just doesn't ring true IMO, especially when the additional details of her life and behaviour started to come out.

My guess is that this started with a small lie, and grew into a big lie that she is now stubbornly clinging to, perhaps enjoying her 15 minutes along the way. The lawyers may just be in it for the gamble of the potential payoff - hoping for a hush money even if it's not true - and/or the publicity and subsequent opportunities (Kardashian anyone?).

Of course, I could be entirely wrong

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Reading the article it seems to me that her new legal team is the one negotiating to try to keep this confidential and private and that there are fears for her safety and the baby. I interpret that to mean if the tests come out in Bieber's favour they fear the backlash she might get. Which tells me they must have some doubts he is the father. I do wonder what it is she has that made this Chicago lawyer take on the case though. I'm sure Bieber takes many photos with fans and their cellphones and wonder if it's something like that as I can't imagine she had time to whip out her cellphone during their alledged 30 seconds of passion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This^

And I think she should be made to admit she made it up or be arrested for statuary rape.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For those still keeping track - as we've seen, TMZ's record on this isn't stellar, but it does contain quotes from Bieber's lawyer:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/17/justin.../#.TspZbfIXKCg

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I have trouble remembering the details but isn't Robbie the one that she first said was the father but he stopped seeing her before she got pregnant so he couldn't be. Or is that another dude?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I cannot believe I am weighing in on this, but... Do the DNA test, get ruled out and sue her. Who cares that she has no money? She will be working at McDs and half of her paycheck will go to Bieber. It will teach her and everyone a lesson.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast