vCash

Talking 5 logical fallacies that make you wrong more than you think

Highly applicable for an internet discussion forum.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468...you-think.html

vCash
    That was a fun read. I don't have any of those problems, of course ... everyone really is out to get me.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    So far I've just read the first two pages, between working.

No matter what side you're on, you've played that game, and all it does is give you an excuse to ignore everything the other person says. You're dismissing their points as lies, they're doing the same to you, so why are you even having the conversation? Because you like making everyone else at the dinner table feel tense and awkward?
    I tend to operate on the assume that people mean what they say and are trying to act as best they can according to what they know and believe, which may not be the same as me.

Obviously I know there are exceptions, but it's not my default assumption.

Thus, for example, my tendency to approach analysis of skating scoring in terms of trying to understand what the officials may have been thinking according to the rules.

Whereas many fans tend to assume that all officials are guilty of wrongdoing, one way or another, and will look for evidence of cheating, bias, or incompetence first before considering that there might have been a good reason for the scores given.

Since we have different approaches to interpreting the officials motivations, when debating with each other about the results we also end up questioning each other.

But I still think that fans who look for bad judging aren't lying . . . I think they're hypothesizing scenarios that make sense to them within their worldview. I do think they're often incapable of recognizing good judging because they're not looking for it and not interested in finding it.

Either admit that maybe this person honestly thinks what they're saying is true, or just talk about sports.
    'Cause we all know how conflict-free sports discussions always are. Especially in figure skating.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    So far I've just read the first two pages, between working.
    Cracked articles only ever have 2 pages.

vCash
    That was really entertaining.

vCash
    Loved the article.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce