Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Have to say I really enjoyed Christina Gao's LP at COC. Her SP is IMO lyrical snot and does nothing to highlight her strengths, but her LP is a big step up for her. She reminds of Kostner in that if she isn't careful she can really appear awkward and gangly because of her long limbs. Kostner IMO does a good job of making her long limbs work for her and Gao can as well. I wish Orser and Wilson would go for something different with Christina. She has potential, but I feel as if she isn't growing enough artistically. Give the girl something to work with!

On a completely shallow note, what a difference a hairstyle makes. I'm so used to seeing her bangs flopping around that it was a refreshing change to see her face. She almost looked like a different skater out there. Here's hoping she keeps the bangs at bay in future competitions as well. JMO
    I agree with this and think the FS has a lot of potential as well. Also the dress made her look more mature as opposed to her SP dress. Her body type is very angular, and from the looks of it she lost some of the muscle she had built last season, I think this is likely due to the injury. Maybe it was the costumes but at the end of last season she wasn't looking nearly so gangly and angular as she does now, although perhaps she grew taller again which could be another explanation. Her body type doesn't have to make her look juniorish though, if she is dressed suitably, I think she could look very sophisticated. Her artistry needs a lot of work, but it's good to see all the jumps, including the 3f-3t, are still there after that kind of growthspurt and injury. I think we'll see her skate better at COR, but 5th in her senior GP debut (and 4th in the FS!) is not bad at all. I also think the injury may help her peak towards Nationals. Last season she was so strong in the fall but wasn't able to maintain that level the rest of the season. The 3f-3t is really top quality!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    For those wondering where Mirai's flip is, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbo3...tailpage#t=76s
    The edge looks like it barely turns inwards at the last second but I could definitely see some judges giving an edge call there.
    Mirai has always done that with her flip. It was only recently (starting last season as with all of girls who do double edge changes on their flips) when they started giving her edge violations on that jump to Mirai. But her flips are clearly an inside edge on takeoff!!! Well, her lutz is a flutz (and only occasionally gets edge calls), so I guess it's compensated.

It explains why Rachael changed the flip entrance and why Akiko isn't really doing triple flips anymore. They all used to (or still do) double edge changes on the entrance (and started getting edge violations last season), making it look like they are on outside edges before the takeoff even though they all get on the inside edge before takeoff.

Caroline used to do it too and got occasional edge violations, but she had other problems to fix anyway and her double edge changes were fixed with Kathy Casey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    \ Except Rachael, but she's got a good head on her shoulders and works hard, so I'm not ruling her out.
    We'll see. IMO, it is not such a "good head" to decide you can go to college full time, drive all over the place to train, take your skates to class because you're too behind schedule to get them to the dorm, go to a whole bunch of campus sports events, fly off to a charity show in the middle all of this, study calculus in the middle of a comp, and plan to medal at Sochi without slowing this schedule down at all.

If she truly has a "good head", she came home from Skate Canada and sat down to figure out what has to come off of the full plates she has been trying to juggle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Ashley is at a better place with her programs compared to Mirai. I do not like either of Mirai's programs. They don't highlight her playful personality and she looks like she's having a horrible time. I almost want to her to try another coach.
    I so wish we had three spots for Worlds because it would be best if all of Alissa, Mirai, and Ashley got to go to worlds. But anyhow, I really enjoyed watching Ashley skate at Skate Canada. She looks great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    We'll see. IMO, it is not such a "good head" to decide you can go to college full time, drive all over the place to train, take your skates to class because you're too behind schedule to get them to the dorm, go to a whole bunch of campus sports events, fly off to a charity show in the middle all of this, study calculus in the middle of a comp, and plan to medal at Sochi without slowing this schedule down at all.

If she truly has a "good head", she came home from Skate Canada and sat down to figure out what has to come off of the full plates she has been trying to juggle.
    Well, Debi Thomas would disagree with you. In another thread, there is a link to a RF article in a local CA paper that mentions Rachael is in correspondence with Debi, who is telling her to not listen to the people who tell her it's too much and just follow her own instincts [paraphrasing].

But I do agree that she probably would save time and stress by deciding on one coach, which Debi had [Alex McGowan] while at Stanford. 3 coaches and Stanford is too much.

vCash
    Well, Debi Thomas would disagree with you. In another thread, there is a link to a RF article in a local CA paper that mentions Rachael is in correspondence with Debi, who is telling her to not listen to the people who tell her it's too much and just follow her own instincts [paraphrasing].

But I do agree that she probably would save time and stress by deciding on one coach, which Debi had [Alex McGowan] while at Stanford. 3 coaches and Stanford is too much.
    Debi had an easier competition schedule--one fall competition that was more or less a warm-up for Nats, not the pressure of the current GP system. She also took some time off from Stanford for skating--not graduating until age 24 in 1991 after she finished competing.

And someone's 19 year old instincts may tell them to go to home football games, that doesn't mean it is a good idea for their schedule.

vCash

Debbie was a better skater to begin with than Rachael. And was not only dealing with an easier competition schedule, but was also dealing with easier technical demands.

At the end of the day if Rachael wants to try Rachael wants to try. But she's got to know this is not the way she'll Podium! in Sochi. Or even make Sochi. Any one who tells her thats the best way is a fool.

vCash
    I said this and took a little heat for it, but eventually she'll have to CHOOSE between school and skating. And honestly I think the choice has already been made...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I said this and took a little heat for it, but eventually she'll have to CHOOSE between school and skating. And honestly I think the choice has already been made...
    Many people the same thing prior to the start of the season including the infamous Phil Hersh.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Debi was a phenomenal, graceful athlete...and as bek said, the technical demands were easier. I think easier is actually an understatment.

But the lack of fitness is surprising, as there are no doubt many college kids with full course loads who are in better shape.

I wonder if maybe she doesn't feel she can 'cry uncle' with her schedule because being Super Rachael is her thing.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Debi was a phenomenal, graceful athlete...and as bek said, the technical demands were easier. I think easier is actually an understatment.

But the lack of fitness is surprising, as there are no doubt many college kids with full course loads who are in better shape.

I wonder if maybe she doesn't feel she can 'cry uncle' with her schedule because being Super Rachael is her thing.
    I think the problem is that so many people think they can have "it all" And the thing is maybe you can have it all, but perhaps not all at the same time. There are some things in life that require a great focus/time. And maybe you can do that and something else. But to do two things that require great focus/time at once and think your going to do both well...

vCash
    Getting a degree in engineering (even if you're taking a Freshman courseload) and being an elite-level figure skater these days are both full-time jobs. I don't think it's likely that anyone can do both and do it well. Rachael can do both if she's content with the results she's getting, but I doubt that she's satisfied at the moment.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    It will be interesting to see how she fares at Rostelecom. If she bombs again there then I don't think her chances of making the podium at Nationals will be very good.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Top International Scores: 2011-12

As of November 6th, 2011:

1. Alissa CZISNY, Skate America (177.48)
    2. Mirai NAGASU, Cup of China (173.22)
    3. Gracie GOLD, JGP Estonia (172.69) -- Junior domestically
    4. Ashley WAGNER, Skate Canada (165.48)
    5. Vanessa LAM, JGP Austria (156.58)
    6. Samantha CESARIO, JGP Poland (153.84)

7. Caroline ZHANG, Ice Challenge (152.72)
    8. Christina GAO, Cup of China (152.48)
    9. Hannah MILLER, JGP Italy (146.74) -- Junior domestically
    10. Joelle FORTE, Skate America (139.70)
    11. Katarina KULGEYKO, JGP Austria (139.50) -- Junior domestically
    12. Yasmin SIRAJ, JGP Latvia (135.26)

13. Ashley CAIN, JGP Latvia (132.95) -- Junior domestically (byed to Nationals due to pairs Rostelecom Cup assignment)
    14. Rachael FLATT, Skate Canada (128.22)
    15. Lauren DINH, JGP Poland (123.20) -- DNQ to Midwestern Sectionals
    16. McKinzie DANIELS, JGP Romania (111.79)

*Courtney Hicks, JGP Australia (151.91) -- out for season w/ broken leg

Upcoming events:
    • NHK Trophy: Agnes ZAWADZKI, Ashley WAGNER

• U.S. Sectionals: Gracie GOLD & Hannah MILLER (Mids, JR); McKinzie DANIELS (Mids, SR); Samantha CESARIO, Joelle FORTE & Yasmin SIRAJ (Easterns, SR); Caroline ZHANG (Coasts, SR); Katarina KULGEYKO (Coasts, JR)

• Trophee Eric Bompard: Alissa CZISNY

• Rostelecom Cup: Agnes ZAWADZKI, Christina GAO, Rachael FLATT

• JGP Final: Vanessa LAM

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Wagner has become a much more attractive skater under Nicks.

vCash
    For those wondering where Mirai's flip is, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbo3...tailpage#t=76s
    The edge looks like it barely turns inwards at the last second but I could definitely see some judges giving an edge call there.
    Wow. I thought she had lost the flip but that's not too bad. Perhaps we'll see it in her competition skates again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Wow. I thought she had lost the flip but that's not too bad. Perhaps we'll see it in her competition skates again.
    When SC streamed the practices, she did flip after flip and they looked fine. I think she's just lacking in confidence.

vCash
    When SC streamed the practices, she did flip after flip and they looked fine. I think she's just lacking in confidence.
    I think you're right. Mirai seems so disconnected particularly with her FS. It's almost paint-by-numbers, no passion, she exudes no confidence in herself or her program. Frankly shes seems rather flat. Even her bows at the end seem forced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I think you're right. Mirai seems so disconnected particularly with her FS. It's almost paint-by-numbers, no passion, she exudes no confidence in herself or her program. Frankly shes seems rather flat. Even her bows at the end seem forced.
    I agree. Clearly her CoC exhibition shows that she still loves to skate and perform, but if she just can't get into her FS, she should go back to her "Memoirs of a Geisha" one, IMO. She really seemed to get into it at the end of last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I agree. Clearly her CoC exhibition shows that she still loves to skate and perform, but if she just can't get into her FS, she should go back to her "Memoirs of a Geisha" one, IMO. She really seemed to get into it at the end of last season.
    I agree at this point going back to "Memoirs of a Geisha" would be a smart move for Mirai. She just shows no connection to her "Spartacus" program.

I hope she starts including the flip back in her programs. It looked great in her exhibition.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast