Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Seems like Mirai's costumes were slightly adjusted -- she looked better at CoC. Glad she seemed to have come out of her funk. Maybe it will bode well. At this point, I'd still prefer to see Ashley and Alissa go to Worlds and win back 3 spots for the U.S. ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Seems like Mirai's costumes were slightly adjusted -- she looked better at CoC. Glad she seemed to have come out of her funk. Maybe it will bode well. At this point, I'd still prefer to see Ashley and Alissa go to Worlds and win back 3 spots for the U.S. ladies.
    You may prefer them to go to Worlds but whether they could earn three spots for the US still seems iffy at this point. I haven't seen anything for any of the US ladies so far that would suggest we have a better chance of earning three spots for 2013 Worlds. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm not just not sure any combination of US ladies is any more of a lock to do this than any other combination. I don't think any American ladies have significantly improved this season thus far. Agnes is still left to compete.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes.

I don't recall Caroline doing a solo 3T in her programs in recent years? 3S is not a jump she has landed consistently in the past.

Caroline was quoted as saying at Skate America in an IN article that the 3Lo+3Lo combination she's been practicing is "probably something I'm aiming for later in the season" -- here's another excerpt from the same article:

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Yeah, the last time Caroline ever did a solo triple toe was in juniors in 2007.
    I just meant she probably would scrape together more pts. doing a solo 3toe in place of one of those 2x's. I don't think in this rebuilding phase she should try a 3f-3t or something.

Sorry, didn't realize the 3s wasn't a great jump for her. I thought it had been

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    You may prefer them to go to Worlds but whether they could earn three spots for the US still seems iffy at this point. I haven't seen anything for any of the US ladies so far that would suggest we have a better chance of earning three spots for 2013 Worlds. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm not just not sure any combination of US ladies is any more of a lock to do this than any other combination. I don't think any American ladies have significantly improved this season thus far. Agnes is still left to compete.
    Feel kinda the same way at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Well, don't forget that without Rachael's injury we probably would've had 3 spots for 2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I just meant she probably would scrape together more pts. doing a solo 3toe in place of one of those 2x's.
    I too find it weird that she doesn't do a triple toe. Is it possible that she prefers the double axel for whatever reason? Or maybe she isn't consistent on the triple toe?

vCash
    Well, don't forget that without Rachael's injury we probably would've had 3 spots for 2012
    Let's be honest here. We had a darn good shot of getting back the three spots for the ladies for three years now. And we've missed it every single frickin year. In 2009, Alissa fell on her butt two times in the SP and made a couple of errors in the free. If she had just fell on one jump in the SP, she might have just made it into the top 8, giving us back our three spots. In 2010, Mirai buckled under the pressure of being in first and made numerous errors in her FS. Rachael made many errors in the LP also. If Mirai hadn't fallen on the double axel in the LP, we would have gotten three spots back. In 2011, Rachael made many judgment errors along with her team when she did not withdraw from competition. She made numerous errors in the SP and LP.

If anything, I am hoping the US judges don't give Rachael the chance to go to Worlds again. I am sick of seeing her hideous performances there and it's really time for someone else to go if we really want someone to get on that Olympics podium. Period.

vCash
    Well, each year it's been someone different. I've just come to figure it's not meant to be. Every time our chances look good, something happens to screw things up. Just wait, the same thing will happen this year....

vCash
    I'd love to see Mirai and Alissa go to worlds, they have the best shot imo!

vCash
    I'd love Mirai and Ashley to go. But Mirai needs to ditch the LP first.

vCash
    without ando and kim, each US lady sent this year = 2 rungs higher. odds for getting 3 worlds spots are better this year than last, better than next year with sotnikova and liza T. eligible for seniors worlds.

of course, once 3 russian babies are age eligible in 2013, the US ladies could be back to 2 in the olympic year.

vCash
    So far, the ladies to score over 180 internationally are Lipnitskaya (JR age only) and Kostner.

Those to score over 170 are Nagasu, Suzuki, Czisny, Gold (will be Jr. at Nats), and Tuktamysheva (JR age).

Those scoring over 160 are Wagner, Sotnikova (Jr. age), and Miyahara (jr. age).

The high level skaters who have not competed yet are Kiira Korpi, Mao Asada, Agnes Zawadzki. Also, Sofia Biryukova has yet to skate on the GP although at her B event she scored 159, Shelepen got 157, Agafonova 154, Leonova 152, Murakami 150, Zhang Kexin 153, and some of those will improve at their next event. Also scoring over 150 this season have been Cesario, Hicks, Zijun Li, Lam, Shershak, and Gao.

Anyway, halfway thru the GP series, taking out the age-ineligibles and Gracie Gold, it looks like:

1-3 JPN, JPN, ITA (assuming Mao, Suzuki, and Kostner), 4-6 USA (Czisny, Nagasu, Wagner, of which only 2 can go to Worlds). Then Korpi, 3 RUS ladies, and Zijun Li. So it is well within reach for US ladies to go 4/5 or 4/6 or 5/6 or 5/7, etc. If we can manage to keep Flatt off the team, we have a fighting chance, but of course like every year, no guarantees...

vCash
    Am I the only one who isn't crying about the lack of 3 spots? The US hasn't gotten them in past years because they haven't deserved them. Period. The US ladies aren't good enough for 3 spots right now, they would have gotten them back already if they were. If the top 2 finishers from Nationals can't scrounge up the placements for 3, there's no point in sending someone else who can't even beat those two, IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Am I the only one who isn't crying about the lack of 3 spots? The US hasn't gotten them in past years because they haven't deserved them. Period. The US ladies aren't good enough for 3 spots right now, they would have gotten them back already if they were. If the top 2 finishers from Nationals can't scrounge up the placements for 3, there's no point in sending someone else who can't even beat those two, IMHO.
    Except that Mirai did beat those 2, at 4CC. So nothing you just said really makes sense. And as I just pointed out, US ladies are 3 of the top 5 age-eligible scores at this point in the season (actually 4 of the top 6 if you count Gold). So I think its silly to say they aren't good enough to deserve it. They just, collectively, have kinda blown it at Worlds. They weren't good enough, on the day. But good enough all the rest of the season, yes.

vCash
    You really think Flatt would have finished in the top 8 without her injury. I highly doubt it.

vCash
    There's still a chance that Mirai will go to Grand Prix Final right? If Ashley Wagner and Adelina finished 4th or lower.

vCash
    Going to be hard for Mirai to make the Final. If she had just skated decently at SC she would be going to the GPF.

vCash
    Nagasu is out of it, I'd imagine. 5th and 2nd won't do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Except that Mirai did beat those 2, at 4CC. So nothing you just said really makes sense. And as I just pointed out, US ladies are 3 of the top 5 age-eligible scores at this point in the season (actually 4 of the top 6 if you count Gold). So I think its silly to say they aren't good enough to deserve it. They just, collectively, have kinda blown it at Worlds. They weren't good enough, on the day. But good enough all the rest of the season, yes.
    Mirai couldn't beat the two when it really counted, at nationals I'm just saying, for all this talk about how much the US needs 3 spots because we have so many talented skaters, the two that lay it down when they need to the most (at nationals) still can't seem to earn the spots back. If the US were really so deep and talented, the girls would have 3 spots. Part of being a good skater is the ability to compete, having theoretical talent a la Mirai doesn't matter when you can't do it under pressure. I'm just saying, maybe the American girls aren't "blowing it" at worlds... maybe that's just as good as it's going to get. GPs aren't the same as worlds. Whether it's technical issues, inability to compete, or issues with non-jump elements, it seems like the Americans are stuck in the 5-12 range. Maybe that's just all they're capable of, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Not everyone can be a Kwan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    If the top 2 finishers from Nationals can't scrounge up the placements for 3, there's no point in sending someone else who can't even beat those two, IMHO.
    Actually, that's exactly why the US needs a 3rd ladies spot at Worlds... for an extra skater at Worlds who could place better there than the top 2 at Nationals.

To answer publicly a question sent to me privately:
    I thought it used to be once they skated in a GP event they moved from Reserve team envelope to the C team envelope, they didn't have to medal as long as they skated. I know Alissa skated from Reserve and got C envelope without medaling.
    No, the year Alissa was in the Reserve envelope was at the start of the 2008-09 season, and she was elevated to the C envelope before the Grand Prix series began that fall because she won the gold at 2008 Nebelhorn Trophy.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast