Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ Storm

vCash
    We finally got our power back yesterday, our section of New Jersey looks like it was hit by a tornado, trees and branches down, electrical wires hanging down, many still have no lights or heat, no gas since the gas stations need electricity to pump the gas.

vCash
    NJ really had it bad this year, Morris County in particular.
    We have trees all over, and it does look like a war zone.
    I consider myself lucky because it was a miracle that my neigbours tree missed my roof when it colupsed into my backyard.
    Due to the hazardous travel conditions, caused by the storm on Saturday, school was closed yesterday and today.
    Too many people are still without power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Hang tough, cruisin! Next time take your hair dryer to a public bathroom and dry it there. Who cares if people look at you funny!
    Good idea, didn't think of that!

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I hope you kept the wood for your fireplace. I feel for all of you without power. Happens to us every few years and, when it does, we don't even have water.
    It's all still on the side of my driveway. I have no idea when it will get moved. I think the tree people are coming in 3 weeks, to take down the trees that are only partly down and chip the branches that are not big enough to save. I went out Sunday and pulled all of the big branches, that were half in the street, up onto our property, to clear the road. I am amazed at how many other neighbors have just left trees in the street. There are sections where you can't get through without scratching your car. When I walked today I tried moving some of the other neighbors trees, out of the way, but some were too big for me and my back could take just so much.

Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    (((cruisin))) I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same situation. No power since Saturday, just got it back an hour ago. They were saying Thursday, too. Hopefully you'll be next. Sending you lots of HOT vibes. Hang in there!
    (((right back to you)))

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    This is exactly what Buffalo experienced in 2006, although it was even earlier in October, around the 14th. My neighborhood, north of the city, "only" lost power for 2 days because our lines are underground, but many places with aboveground powerlines lost power for a week or more.
    Our utilities are underground too. But a main trunk went down and took out many grids.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Cruisin, there are some area hotels that will take dogs. My boss has been in three separate ones since Saturday with her two dogs. She just got power back and was planning to return home tonight, but she had a reservation until Friday. I wish I had asked her the name of the hotel.....

Hope you get power soon!

I have power, but a roof that is currently open to the elements. So much for doing construction before the bad weather hit.....
    I feel for you completely!

Power came on about 7:30 tonight

I went to the mall to stay warm for a few hours. On the way home I called my house to see if the phone would ring (our phones are part of our cable contract, on the modem - no power - no phones). The phone went to - your call did not go through. so, I called my husband and it froze my new iPhone. I didn't know how to power it down - the power button wouldn't work. So, I'm crying at this point, no house phones, no power, and my new cell phone crashes! I got home, opened the garage door, got my flashlight, went in screaming at my husband that I need his cell to call Verizon, and I suddenly notice - WE HAVE LIGHT! I was so flustered, I didn't even realize it. It came on between my call and the ten minutes it took to get home. We went out to eat, threw away all of the food today, and the house was 70º when we got home. I am sooooooooo happy! It's warm!

Eden, you're right Morris County got nailed this fall, especially the north western parts. My daughter lives in Morristown, she had power, we didn't. But, I couldn't stay with her, she and her BF have a one bedroom and they are both working and in graduate school. Too distracting for them. My son stayed with his girlfriend, near his law school, but he finally came home tonight - needed clothes.

I am 58 years old, I've been through some bad storms, hurricanes (I was in FL for Andrew, though not in Miami *And I know that the damage in Miami was way beyond way beyond what happened here, thought least it was warm), blizzards, etc., but this was the worst I've ever seen. The property destruction is just staggering, when you consider it was 16" of snow. It is just amazing that leaves being on the trees could make this much of a difference, but it does.
    Last edited by cruisin; 11-02-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Hooray!

I read today that about 1000 trees in Central Park have been/are going to be destroyed because of this storm. That's a lot of trees.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Cruisin -- really glad you got power back on -- I hope you (and your home's pipes) all survive the chill without taking too much damage.

Given the damage we had from the 14" of heavy wet snow last week, tree pruning and chipping folks are going to have a very nice Christmas. Very nice.

More snow due tonight, but this time it is supposed to be the light and fluffy variety.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

I am 58 years old, I've been through some bad storms, hurricanes (I was in FL for Andrew, though not in Miami *And I know that the damage in Miami was way beyond way beyond what happened here, thought least it was warm), blizzards, etc., but this was the worst I've ever seen. The property destruction is just staggering, when you consider it was 16" of snow. It is just amazing that leaves being on the trees could make this much of a difference, but it does.
    I'm sure it's bad and folk are suffering. At least 13 dead. But worse than Andrew? No way I'll believe that until you show me houses that have been blown away.

Never mind - I see you edited your post.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Hooray!

I read today that about 1000 trees in Central Park have been/are going to be destroyed because of this storm. That's a lot of trees.
    So sad. Though I'm not surprised. We have several hundreds down in our neighborhood. We lost at least 10 in our yard. One just missed the house, and another has been worrisome, we're taking it down now. Though, I suppose if it weathered this storm, it's okay. The problem is it's right in line with the kitchen window !

vCash
    I'm sure it's bad and folk are suffering. At least 13 dead. But worse than Andrew? No way I'll believe that until you show me houses that have been blown away.

Never mind - I see you edited your post.
    Yeah, I realized that shivering was not quite the same as what happened to Miami with Andrew. Sorry.

We were in Orlando. My best friend and her (ex) husband and daughter were with us in Orlando. They were scheduled to go back, the news reports about Andrew were coming in, we tried to make them stay with us. My friend's husband is $%^@!HOLE, he insisted on going back, to check on their condo (It was on the 18th floor! And who cares about that, they cold have died!). I can't tell you how terrified I was for my friend and my Godchild. I will never forgive that (see above) for putting them at risk like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Cruisin -- really glad you got power back on -- I hope you (and your home's pipes) all survive the chill without taking too much damage.

Given the damage we had from the 14" of heavy wet snow last week, tree pruning and chipping folks are going to have a very nice Christmas. Very nice.

More snow due tonight, but this time it is supposed to be the light and fluffy variety.
    Thanks!

We talked to the tree people who are working in our neighborhood, yesterday. They said that if we want it cleared out this week its over $1000.00, if we wait for 3 weeks, it will be about $600.00. So, yes, they will have a very nice holiday.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    A little cuddling with Sweets keeps Louis warm.
    Please. For the past month, we've been living in less than 200 square feet with junk and fine layers of dust all around us while the rest of the never-ending construction continues. We are barely speaking and we are definitely not cuddling.

The other big problem is that we have no winter clothing at all since this was supposed to be done in August. Everything is in storage in Brooklyn. And of course it is in the very back of the storage unit behind all of the furniture, which we still can't move back.

Ordinarily this would be a sign to go buy a new wardrobe, but with the state of this construction, I shudder to think how low end we'd have to go.

So, for the next month, I'm going to have to cleverly layer. I nearly cried with joy when I found out a sweater I had ordered and shipped to my office in the late spring.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    This too shall pass, Louis. And just keep envisioning your (future) beautiful home.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    This storm was terrible for so many people. Hope everyone gets the power back sooner rather than later (I know it's already been several days). Enough of this horrendous, crazy weather! What a year for bizarre happenings!

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Glad to hear you got your power back, cruisin!

I hope all the rest of the people affected by the storm will get theirs soon. It's hard to enjoy your own knowing so many people are still out. When I got mine back they said on TV that 1.6 million were still without power. It's crazy.

vCash
    Garbage pickup is today, but we didn't have time/space to go through everything in the freezers. I found a few roasts that were partially thawed, put them in the fridge so they wouldn't re-freeze, and I'm going to have to cook them tonite or tomorrow.

The stuff that's going out is mostly home made goodies like chili and some meat pies. Looks like I'll have to make time to replace them. Sniff... my imported from CT pizza needs to go. It thawed enough to get kind of wet. No way we can re-freeze it.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    After you cook the roasts, you can refreeze the leftovers. Roasting them will help warm up your house, too.

Good luck, all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Glad to hear you got your power back, cruisin!

I hope all the rest of the people affected by the storm will get theirs soon. It's hard to enjoy your own knowing so many people are still out. When I got mine back they said on TV that 1.6 million were still without power. It's crazy.
    You're right, it is hard knowing that some people still have no power. I've always felt bad for people who have had to go through this sort of thing. But until you go through it yourself, it's hard to fully appreciate. (((Hugs))) to anyone still without power.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Garbage pickup is today, but we didn't have time/space to go through everything in the freezers. I found a few roasts that were partially thawed, put them in the fridge so they wouldn't re-freeze, and I'm going to have to cook them tonite or tomorrow.

The stuff that's going out is mostly home made goodies like chili and some meat pies. Looks like I'll have to make time to replace them. Sniff... my imported from CT pizza needs to go. It thawed enough to get kind of wet. No way we can re-freeze it.
    I got the fridge cleared out yesterday. The freezer was still cold enough to keep milk, etc. I don't really keep frozen meats, but I have several containers of homemade spaghetti sauce that defrosted. I'll use it tonight and get the rest out in the trash tomorrow. I just hope the trash gets picked up tomorrow. I don't want to put that much food out and have animals get into it.

vCash
    Ate one of the partially thawed, partially refrozen roasts last night. Tasted fine, but the texture was off and it cooked a bit unevenly. A nearly identically sized one came out fine so we decided to throw that one into the freezer. Going to do the chicken breasts tonite and then chop them up and refreeze. Such fun, not.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Ate one of the partially thawed, partially refrozen roasts last night. Tasted fine, but the texture was off and it cooked a bit unevenly. A nearly identically sized one came out fine so we decided to throw that one into the freezer. Going to do the chicken breasts tonite and then chop them up and refreeze. Such fun, not.
    I went down into the fridge in the basement yesterday. Figured I'd better get the stuff out of that freezer. We rarely use that freezer and I was shocked to find frozen vegetarian dinners in there from my daughter's vegetarian phase from 3 years ago - YIKES! Threw all of that away. The only meat I had in the upstairs freezer had been there for 6 - 8 months (just a pound of ground turkey and a package of chicken breasts), I didn't want to risk that. The spaghetti sauce was fine, but I have a lot of left over pasta Had some chili in there, but I'm not sure how long it was there - tossed it. I need to start putting dates on things. It was not fun, but it was an opportunity to really clean the fridge, it looks brand new again!

Yesterday, it was 68 degrees in the house, positively felt like a sauna, compared to the prior 4 days.

I was listening to a NJ talk radio station yesterday. They were discussing people being upset about their loss of power. I was shocked at how many people called in and called those who were upset - whiners. Most of the people who did were from areas that had power . I don't think they get that people were freezing, they weren't complaining about not having TV! Sheesh! There has been a lot of anger directed at PSE&G, in particular, they didn't do such a great job after the hurricane either. I consider myself sooooo lucky, there are still areas that have no power. Hugs to them all!

Here's a good one, our town is not doing anything to remove the branches in the streets until last week of November/first two weeks of December. They don't want to disrupt their "schedule", and that is when they do their leaf clean-up. so, they have decided to do the storm clean-up then. Many streets are impassable. It is dangerous for the kids waiting for school busses. What if it snows again, it will all get buried. I pulled what fell from our trees up, onto our property, but many neighbors haven't. Some because they're lazy, some because the branches are just too big for them to move. Can't get a tree service for 3 weeks!
    Last edited by cruisin; 11-03-2011 at 03:08 PM.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I'll never forget the hurricane that came through DC the day after we had an order from Omaha Steaks delivered. That was the favorite of my carnivorous ex-husband. The amount of steaks and chops that were thrown out after six days without power, grrrrr.

But seriously, whether it's too hot or too cold, nobody appreciates how awful it is to be days without heat or A/C, hot water etc until it happens to you.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I'll never forget the hurricane that came through DC the day after we had an order from Omaha Steaks delivered. That was the favorite of my carnivorous ex-husband. The amount of steaks and chops that were thrown out after six days without power, grrrrr.

But seriously, whether it's too hot or too cold, nobody appreciates how awful it is to be days without heat or A/C, hot water etc until it happens to you.
    Absolutely! Not sure if too hot or too cold is worse. I think that I can tolerate the cold better than if it were in the 90's (or higher) and no A/C. Though 46 degrees (in the house) is somewhat manageable, if it were 20 degrees, I might feel differently. Next to heat, the thing that I missed most - a hair dryer! Fortunately, I am one of those people who grocery shops almost daily. I don't keep a lot of food in the house, so I did not have to throw too much away. That was not a big $$ loss, cleaning up the yard and tree damage is another story.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast