Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash

Letter to homeowner who didn't hand out candy on Halloween

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...201309265.html

Not that I actually believe "kids" wrote this letter but wow, people are so entitled these days. There are many reasons for not handing out candy.
    The homeowner wrote a hilarious response on kijiji. Yeah for him!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-community...AdIdZ327159744
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Yay, homeowner!

vCash
    I invite you to come over and enjoy watching us eat these, and possibly make yourself useful cleaning up the wrappers.

vCash
    Ugh and I'm sure the parents of those children approved of that letter to begin with.

This also reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's challenge to parents to trick their kids by telling them that all their candy was eaten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs

The last two and the one cutie are the ones whom this man probably won't have to weep for.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I want to meet these "children of the hood" who, among other things, use the word "rectify" with such ease.

I weep, but not for the future.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I'd say he should weep for the English skills of the future except his note's not much better.

Whatever happened to teaching your kids "Porch light on, you knock, porch light off, they're not handing out candy?" It was just assumed that not EVERYONE in the neighborhood was giving out candy, and if they ran out turning out the light meant not to knock. When did it become mandatory to give out candy? It wasn't even typical to 'prank' houses that didn't give candy, let alone send extortion notes with suggestions for what to give next year (or to bring candy by to apologize!)

I hope (but have no more confidence than he appears to) that the parents don't know about this note and would be deeply ashamed of their kid.

vCash
    I doubt kids had anything at all to do with the first note.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Love the owners response. The owner could have been sick, or out of town or could not afford the candy.
    What a bunch of bratty kids/parents.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'd say he should weep for the English skills of the future except his note's not much better.
    It's the English skills that make me sure that that note was not written by children, but rather by someone trying to sound like a child.

But hey, if it turns out that some kids did write that note, they would be welcome to take my class any time. They apparently know the difference between "your" and "you're," they correctly punctuated a possessive and they know the difference between "its" and it's." It's a miracle! I especially like the use of the comma after the introductory "If you feel bad" clause.

I have freshmen in college who can't do any of the above, much less whip out the word "rectify" and use it in the same document as an adult phrase like "Come to think of it." If this is how the kids coming up through the schools write now, I can't wait for the future.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    It's possible these were older kids, teenagers, and the note was a bit tongue in cheek. I can picture a group of 14 year olds LTAO writing it
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I could see a kid writing that (if anything there are a few too many commas and stilted phrasing) but if we're going to suspect an adult, the part that seems odd is using a rather archaic spelling of "Hallo'ween". I just read a bunch of essays for a contest from 7-11th graders and most can handle it's/its better than a lot of twentysomethings these days. (And no, per the rules, no one checked the essays over.) The stilted way this read sounds like a kid trying to sound formal, but then I just had to sift through a lot of middle-school prose, so it may just be stuck in my head.

Or an adult taking dictation/making suggestions? In a really misguided attempt to teach a kid how to deal with complaints? IOW, "We didn't get ANYTHING from Miss Toby's old house and we used to get candy apples!" "Well, if you want to tell the new person how you feel, you should write him a letter."

And of course besides parents or kids, there's also "teens pranking", or whoever posted both notes is just making it up.

vCash
    Gotta love homeowner's answer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    The homeowner wrote a hilarious response on kijiji. Yeah for him!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-community...AdIdZ327159744

Can we make the homeowner an honorary FSUer? That's some prime snark right there.

(I've NEVER seen "Hallo'ween." Hallowe'en, yes, but not Hallo'ween.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Ugh and I'm sure the parents of those children approved of that letter to begin with.

This also reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's challenge to parents to trick their kids by telling them that all their candy was eaten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs

The last two and the one cutie are the ones whom this man probably won't have to weep for.
    at the last 2 kids. I love the older brother trying to help little brother add 2 + 2...

vCash
    Yay homeowner lol I taught my 4&5 yr old this year "If the light is off,they do not have any candy." it was following by a "Oh man!" but they got the idea.lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Whatever happened to teaching your kids "Porch light on, you knock, porch light off, they're not handing out candy?"
    I know! We didn't hand out candy this year, but we did have a few bags just for us. A few kids rang the doorbell although the light was off. My husband asks if I'm going to get the door. I told him no. I don't reward kids who don't follow the rules of Halloween. He just shook his head.

But anyway, yay homeowner! Love the response!

vCash
    If I received a litter like that, it would make me smile and give me a good laugh! I would probably keep it, too...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Good for those plucky homeowners. Those kids...and I betcha their parents...need to learn a few lessons in courtesy. No one is obligated to provide treats on Halloween. Imagine if that had been the home of some poor family who had just lost their child. Even when I was a kid I remember houses with their lights out....we just skipped that one. No fuss necessary. if my grand children ever wrote a note that was that obnoxious, and that poorly written....well they would spend every halloween at the local children's hospital helping out....and the rest of the year learning to read and write English.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Good for the homeowner!

If I were the homeowner, I wouldn't give out candy next year either.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Kudos to the homeowner! The nerve of those kids with their sense of entitlement!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast