Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Nice news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    "The majority of the world", "the rest of the world"? Half of the world (the southern hemisphere) shares the same seasons as Australia, and the majority of that half also share the same university and school academic years.
    Okay by that means the FSU figure skating world world . Are there many figure skaters of fans from South America, Southern Africa or Antarctica in general?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Okay by that means the FSU figure skating world world . Are there many figure skaters of fans from South America, Southern Africa or Antarctica in general?
    You need to update your geography. There are many more countries in the southern hemisphere. And yes, there are fans and skaters in, and from, the southern hemisphere.

vCash
    You need to update your geography. There are many more countries in the southern hemisphere. And yes, there are fans and skaters in, and from, the southern hemisphere.
    Well geography is never my strong suite anyway (Duh!)... well it seems in my attempt to be helpful I might have slighted some of those in the southern hemisphere Apologies, no harm intended.

But still, according to Wiki, I am not that far off? (Ok, I missed New Zealand, Parts of Indonesia etc..)

Continents

Antarctica

Africa (approximately 1/3 of it – from south of Libreville in Gabon in the west to south of Somalia in the east)

Asia (the very southern island portion including most of Indonesia and East Timor)

Australia (the entire mainland is in the Southern Hemisphere, although the very northern part of Raja Ampat Islands in West Papua are in the Northern Hemisphere)

South America (mostly, south of the Amazon River mouth in the east and Quito in the west)

Micro Continents
    Zealandia (New Caledonia, the New Zealand landmass and associated islands are wholly within the Southern Hemisphere)

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    Still not getting it, she did 4CC and Worlds last year - when is the time off?
    Well, Worlds was in March, which would have been at the very beginning of the Australian University year, so presumably she backed off on training for the remainder of her first year at Uni.

As stated, the University year has just ended, and Nationals is early December - no time to put together a programme for that.

I'm really impressed that she got High Distinctions - that's not easy to do, particularly in first year when you're usually studying a lot of subjects.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Well geography is never my strong suite anyway (Duh!)... well it seems in my attempt to be helpful I might have slighted some of those in the southern hemisphere Apologies, no harm intended.
    I am in southern hemisphere and I wasn't slighted at all. It is not such a big deal anyway.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are the only three southern hemisphere ISU figure skating members, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    As stated, the University year has just ended, and Nationals is early December - no time to put together a programme for that.
    Four Continents Championships are in February, enough time to put together a program for that and Worlds in March, no?

Given Cheltzie Lee is head and shoulders above any other Aussie ladies, I am sure that the fed wouldn't demand her to compete at Nats (and if they would, they need their heads examined ;P).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 11-05-2011 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    is her heart really going to be in it as it was announced just after worlds this year that she will not be competing. NOW SHE IS??? Confusing !!!

are there not any other female skaters can take up the challenge.

What is happening with men and dance ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are the only three southern hemisphere ISU figure skating members, right?
    I think you are right there.

Four Continents Championships are in February, enough time to put together a program for that and Worlds in March, no?

Given Cheltzie Lee is head and shoulders above any other Aussie ladies, I am sure that the fed wouldn't demand her to compete at Nats (and if they would, they need their heads examined ;P).
    She didn't compete last year at Nationals and got selected for 4CC and Worlds.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieSKATES View Post
    Australia's 2010 Winter Olympian and 3 - time World Team Member, Cheltzie Lee puts competitive figure skating on hold to concentrate on her university studies.

After training non - stop for the last four years, Lee decided to take this season off from competition to focus on her first year of university and in her own words, "to live a little". Last week Lee finished her first year of university with high distinctions, grades she is ecstatic about.

Early last season and in 2008 when she was injured, her recovery programs were more intense than actual on-ice training. Now pain free, Cheltzie continues to train on and of the ice at home in Sydney, and has just finished off two weeks working with the 1980 Men's Olympic Champion, Robin Cousins.

Cheltzie is also excited about starting next season refreshed, healthy and much improved.

www.aussieskates.com
    What a thoroughly sensible plan. I wish Rachael Flatt had done this in 2010-2011, but oh well. It would have resulted in more time off for her, but still, it doesn't have to be the end of a skater's career.

I hope she makes a complete recovery from her injuries and has a successful comeback!!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash

Argentina and Brazil are also members. Chile seems to be removed as of last year.

Australia requires all skaters to skate at Nationals if they want to skate at internationals. Last year Cheltzie took a medical withdrawl so was allowed to skip nationals. They then use a highest point system to choose who goes. She's still at the top of the highest points list, but she'll need some sort of special request to be able to skip Nationals this year if she wants to go to FCC.

vCash
    ice marker wrote:

Is her heart really going to be in it as it was announced just after worlds this year that she will not be competing. NOW SHE IS??? Confusing !!!
    New to the forums and a Cheltzie fan! Cheltzie NEVER announced retirement. I think people assumed because she withdrew her name from events this season. She has continued to train and is looking really good, fit and strong as usual! Can't wait to see her competing again. She works harder than any other Australian skater on and off the ice. What I do think is when she returns 2012/2013 season she will be new and improved mentally and physically! I do wish her well she's such a lovely young lady!

Australia does have some junior talent but not to the level of competition as Cheltzie Lee I think no where near Cheltzie. We have yet to get another female skater to Cheltzie's competitive level but hopefully that will change.

vCash
    Have you seen her practice, charminbeautee? What jumps was she landing?

vCash
    Cheltzie took 2011/2012 season off. She didn't compete at nationals which was a pity! when she withdrew from the jr grand prix in Brisbane she was still training and has continued to train. I think she chose not to compete only and reduced her training time to focus on university which she entered early. when i spoke with her she had decided to do uni part time in the coming season, train and compete. she' a very smart young lady! She seemed very excited about it all! It made me excited for her also!!

aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience! Cheltzie said her first competition will be in June 2012 in Aus! So glad she's back!!! certainly a consistent quiet achiever!!!

vCash
    Ziggy yes I've seen her train. Robin Cousins came to Sydney to work with both Cheltzie Lee and Brendan Kerry. at that time I saw mostly choreography and a bit of fun stuff it seemed. More recently I've seen that magnificent 3toe3toe combo, 3S3T combo, 3lz2t combo, 2a also in combos, practicing the 3f but iwas leaving when she started and some three jump combos, she has great height on her jumps!!

Quadless
    vCash
    Fantastic news! I'm looking forward to seeing her back in competition.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by charminbeautee View Post
    aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience!
    well, it's hard to imagine that Aus will be sending only 1 male when they usually have 3 spots. What happened there? Where is Mark Webster, is he skating? Is brendan Kerry skating as his sister is skating according to charminbeautee ?
    I had a look at the Australian skating site and there is no mention, very out of date!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icemarker View Post
    well, it's hard to imagine that Aus will be sending only 1 male when they usually have 3 spots. What happened there? Where is Mark Webster, is he skating? Is brendan Kerry skating as his sister is skating according to charminbeautee ?
    I had a look at the Australian skating site and there is no mention, very out of date!!!
    Yes, both Mark and Brendan were selected to 4CC.

vCash
    aus will send Jaimee nobbs, chantelle Kerry, Zara pas field, Nicolas Fernandez, Danielle o'brien and Greg merriman to four continents. The junior girls stepping up to senior lack triples to compete but will gain some valuable experience! Cheltzie said her first competition will be in June 2012 in Aus! So glad she's back!!! certainly a consistent quiet achiever!!!
    Isn't Chantelle too young? What about Brooklee Han, she scored higher than all the others on the JGP.

vCash
    sammyf, I guess Brooklee Han is going to Junior Worlds but I would send her to 4CC as well. She's definitely has a bigger jump arsenal than the other ladies. Maybe she opted out of it to focus on JW?

Ziggy yes I've seen her train. Robin Cousins came to Sydney to work with both Cheltzie Lee and Brendan Kerry. at that time I saw mostly choreography and a bit of fun stuff it seemed. More recently I've seen that magnificent 3toe3toe combo, 3S3T combo, 3lz2t combo, 2a also in combos, practicing the 3f but iwas leaving when she started and some three jump combos, she has great height on her jumps!!
    That is fantastic news indeed!

Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast