Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Sometimes the producer manipulation backfires. I think Danny Gokley's dead wife on AI is a perfect example. What they are doing with Maks is another. He did not look at all happy last night about what was being done. Hope was clearly clued in as was Derek. She didn't look surprised and she is not a good actor. It it wasn't planned, she'd have shown it on her face. She knew what was going to happen. It was staged. Why is anybody's guess.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    The judges were certainly promoting "Team Paso" last night.
    I wonder why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The judges were certainly promoting "Team Paso" last night.
    I wonder why?
    Derek is involved.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I'd like to see them bring back some of the newer dance styles they introduced in past seasons. They've been using the same dances for the last 4 or 5 seasons. I FLOVED when they did the jitterbug and charleston, salsa, lambada, etc. Just no country two-step! I think changing things up with that could make things a bit more exciting for the viewers. But realistically, the cast is the biggest audience draw.
    See, I hated it, because the pros are just as incompetent at them as the stars are (which is probably why they're gone.) The only one they'd get away with is WCS (which would just be letting Lacey shoot fish in a barrel) and nightclub two-step because any idiot can get through that. The ones they're using are the real ballroom/latin dances, so they're the ones the pros know. (I just wish they'd make up their minds, are they doing Smooth or Standard ballroom dances?) They could sneak in mambo, maybe (unfair advantage to Tony this time as he at least would know for sure how to count it, but hey, if anyone deserves a break...)

I think they kind of have hit or miss casts--people like underdogs, unexpected good stars, surprises. And since the A listers can't commit to doing a show that long, athletes you have to hit the right season, and with 'non-celebs' (Buzz, Bristol, etc.) you have to catch them when they're promoting something or really have the time and name rec to do the show...

Trying to inject new pro blood seems to help, with Tristan the obvious big hit this year going on the press coverage (not just because he and Nancy stuck it out). The "troupe" thing works better than the 'vote for a new pro' seems to have (though I think that might have worked better for them, if not for him, if Mayo had been allowed to win.)

vCash
    Derek is an amazing choreographer who does a great job of working within the capabilities of his partners.
    However, I hope that they don't intend to throw JR/Karina "under the bus" to get him another Mirror Ball trophy.

Grooving!
    vCash
    So many problems with last night's show -- where to start? I guess the only thing I'll say is that Team Paso winning the team competition was an absolute offense against all that is right and holy. I'm sick of the manipulation and BS on this show. It's gotten so outrageous. The only reason I'm going to keep watching is to vote for JR, and then I'm done with this sad little show.

ETA: I'll miss Tom when I quit watching. :-( His quips and JR's fabulous dancing are the only things that make the show palatable this season.
    Last edited by skaternum; 11-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    That is the sort of thing the producers want to script and portray? Really?
    I haven't been watching this season -- couldn't work up any interest in it -- but reading this thread, I had the same thought. Do they really want to be the show where guys shove girls around? Do they need publicity that badly?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I haven't been watching this season -- couldn't work up any interest in it -- but reading this thread, I had the same thought. Do they really want to be the show where guys shove girls around? Do they need publicity that badly?
    They would get better response if Hope DID haul off and hit him back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    See, I hated it, because the pros are just as incompetent at them as the stars are (which is probably why they're gone.) The only one they'd get away with is WCS (which would just be letting Lacey shoot fish in a barrel) and nightclub two-step because any idiot can get through that. The ones they're using are the real ballroom/latin dances, so they're the ones the pros know. (I just wish they'd make up their minds, are they doing Smooth or Standard ballroom dances?) They could sneak in mambo, maybe (unfair advantage to Tony this time as he at least would know for sure how to count it, but hey, if anyone deserves a break...)
    To me, the casual fan, many of those styles of dance provided entertaining and memorable performances... Julianne & Cody's Jitterbug, Mya & Dmitry's Lambada, Melissa & Mark's Charleston.. and I, the casual fan, would enjoy seeing them again. The pros might have had a difficult time with them at the beginning, but they all made it work in the end.

vCash
    KINDA AWESOME:
    - The Halloween opening ("Dead from Hollywood!"; the three skeletons at the judges' table; the conductor in the zombie costume; the tarantula on the dance floor)
    - David's skeleton dance
    - Tom Bergeron in general
    - J.R. in general

OKAY:
    - Team Paso
    - Ricki and Derek's regular paso

:
    - Everything else
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I haven't seen last night's show yet but from the comments it seems like Nancy has a good chance of going home tonight. Along with Tristan. I really hope it's not going to happen, though.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    To me, the casual fan, many of those styles of dance provided entertaining and memorable performances... Julianne & Cody's Jitterbug, Mya & Dmitry's Lambada, Melissa & Mark's Charleston.. and I, the casual fan, would enjoy seeing them again. The pros might have had a difficult time with them at the beginning, but they all made it work in the end.
    Except THEY know it worked badly, most of the dances weren't entertaining, and seemed visibly uncomfortable trying to teach things several flat-out told their celebs "I don't know any more about this dance than you do." I can see them all saying "Don't put us through that again." AT they can fake (though heaven help you if you ask a serious tanguero or milonguero about it...honestly, it's a sport for competitive ballroom people, AT is a RELIGION...) When they haven't got any more idea about the dance than the person they're supposed to put through cram school to learn it in a week, they probably are very uncomfortable.

vCash
    I don't think that this has been posted here.
    From GMA:

Cameron Matheson interviews JR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLBQizWcQJ0

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    We're being Bieberized.

For the amount of money they have to be paying their guest performers, you'd think they'd shell out for better sound systems. I mean, nice to know they're not lip syncing, but....

vCash
    My ears! They BLEED. My eyes! They're blinded. Someone put me out of this misery? And why is he doing jumping jacks?

vCash
    Justin Bieber doesn't sound so good.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    What little I can hear of him it's not that awful but he's basically got that headset mic in his mouth and the sound is...not right. Someone running sound is just...not figuring out this new set or something...

vCash
    Almost sounded flat towards the end there.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Oh, gee, shilling Team Paso again.....

vCash
    This is the Dream Team??? I didn't see the other team. Were they that much worse? Hope is really bad.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast