Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Meet the first Sikh to command a Canadian Regiment Lt. Col Harjit Singh Sajjan. He has served in the military since 1989 and has served in Afghanistan and Bosnia.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-745303.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    That brings back memories -- poppies were part of Veteran's Day (or Memorial Day?) when I was growing up back east, but I don't think I ever saw them in California or out here, at least not in the context of Veterans. Glad to hear Canada is keeping the tradition.
    I haven't seen them for years here. As a child, in a small town, I used to "sell" them for the American Legion Junior Auxilliary. I don't understand where they've gone. I commented on that on Facebook and the fact that Americans tend not to acknowledge those lost in wars on Veterans Day and am being chewed out mostly via private message now...I don't get it.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Interestingly, I noticed that Regis Philbin was wearing what appeared to be a Canadian poppy on the show this morning. I remember a conversation another year on the show about us wearing poppies up here on Remembrance Day.

In Ottawa this morning, as has become the custom, after the formal ceremonies had been completed at the National War Memorial and veterans had participated in their march past the Governor General and the Silver Cross Mother, those in the crowd pushed forward to leave their poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is situated in front of the War Memorial. This began spontaneously after the ceremonies when the body of an unknown Canadian soldier killed in the First World War was repatriated from Europe and placed in the newly built tomb. Since then it has happened every year on November 11th.

For those who don't know, mothers of those killed while serving in the Canadian Forces, are awarded a special silver cross medal (engraved with the name of their child). Each year, one of the mothers is chosen to represent all of them and comes to Ottawa to lay a wreath on their behalf at the National War Memorial. Hers is the second wreath laid, after that laid for the people of Canada by the Governor General.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    victorskid, is it true the flag flying on the Peace Tower today is also given to the Silver Cross Mother? I heard or read that somewhere the last couple of days and kept meaning to come in here and ask about that, but forgot. That would be lovely if true.

Regis has always worn a Poppy on November 11th. Sad to think this is the final time he'll do that.

PDilemma, all I can is that I'm sorry you're getting that flack and (((HUGS))).

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I haven't seen them for years here. As a child, in a small town, I used to "sell" them for the American Legion Junior Auxilliary. I don't understand where they've gone. I commented on that on Facebook and the fact that Americans tend not to acknowledge those lost in wars on Veterans Day and am being chewed out mostly via private message now...I don't get it.
    I don't know what kind of chewing out you're getting but poppies have always been a Memorial Day thing in the US, not Veterans Day.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Poppies are sold and worn on Memorial Day in the US. Ours look more the British version.
    I'm American but this is the first I've heard of this tradition. I assume Flanders Field poppies are the flower in question so I do understand the association.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I'm American but this is the first I've heard of this tradition. I assume Flanders Field poppies are the flower in question so I do understand the association.
    You're not the first American to say they know nothing of poppies. I don't know what to say to that. I see them for sale on the counter in convenience stores, outside grocery and department stores, on street corners...all in May, though, not November. It's almost always the American Legion and VFW selling them.

http://www.cal-mum.com/poppy.htm
    3539 and counting.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    The red "remembrance poppy" has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in the First World War, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war. In season, poppies now grow and bloom on the roof of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae wrote "In Flanders Fields" on 3 May 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, 22 years old, the day before. The poem was first published on 8December of that year in the London-based magazine Punch.

I have visited the location, near Ypres, where Col. McCrae wrote the poem in a field medical station. It is located beside one of the many Commonwealth War Grave cemeteries in the area.

Here's the poem:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    victorskid, is it true the flag flying on the Peace Tower today is also given to the Silver Cross Mother? I heard or read that somewhere the last couple of days and kept meaning to come in here and ask about that, but forgot. That would be lovely if true.
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to that and I haven't been able to find anything online about it.

vCash
    I'm thinking of my grandfather, (1879-1972), today.
    He served as an ambulance driver in France, during the Great War.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I'm American but this is the first I've heard of this tradition. .
    I never saw them when I worked in the city, but in the town I live now, there are always some members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars taking collections and distributing the poppies.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I don't know what kind of chewing out you're getting but poppies have always been a Memorial Day thing in the US, not Veterans Day.
    The Legion where we were had the kids sell them for both. I actually have first hand knowledge of this, milanessa. The things were in my hand, then. I have not seen them for Memorial Day for years and years, either.

And the chewing I'm getting is, scarily enough, for daring to suggest that people might take a moment out of "I don't have to cook because BF gets a free dinner at Applebee's! Love Veteran's Day!" (actual status on my news feed yesterday) to remember those who didn't live to come home for a free dinner. I am told we should not interrupt the "fun" today to (another quote) "dwell on the dead who aren't here anyway". Veteran's Day = fun day to get free food, retail sales, and post platitudes thanking people who served in the armed forces. Veteran's Day does not equal acknowledging the sacrifice of those who gave their lives in wars. I see nothing wrong with honoring living veterans. I do, however, find it sad that we can't be bothered to remember those who did not come home. But apparently, that would disrupt the buy one get one free sale at the mall.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Well, I have seen them and still do for Memorial Day, but not for Veteran's Day. Tradition and custom get blurred and changed all the time - witness Halloween. Different areas of the country (for their own reasons) just do things differently.

Veterans Day has never been the same sort of somber remembrance in the states that it is in much of the rest of the world. We very specifically have Memorial Day to honor the fallen. That's not to say they aren't veterans, too, and deserve a thought on November 11th (wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns, for example), it only says that we honor all veterans on that day and some restaurants do that with a free meal. The sales thing at the mall or wherever is just part of our consumer culture - Valentines Day, Christmas, Groundhog day - there are sales for all of them.
    Last edited by milanessa; 11-12-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Veterans Day has never been the same sort of somber remembrance in the states that it is in much of the rest of the world. We very specifically have Memorial Day to honor the fallen. That's not to say they aren't veterans, too, and deserve a thought on November 11th (wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns, for example), it only says that we honor all veterans on that day and some restaurants do that with a free meal. The sales thing at the mall or wherever is just part of our consumer culture - Valentines Day, Christmas, Groundhog day - there are sales for all of them.
    It was in the beginning. It changed. Ask people in their 80s and 90s who remember.

And yes, it is our consumer culture. That doesn't make it a good thing.

I'm so sorry I offended so many people by suggesting that we remember the fallen. How dare I even think of it.

And look around on Memorial Day and see how well remembrance is going in the middle of all the barbecues.

The rest of the western world does this better than us.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Interestingly, while I was visiting the Flanders area after Worlds in Dortmund I attended one of the daily ceremonies held at the Menin Gate for those killed in the First World War for whom there is no known grave. I happened to be standing beside some young men (teenagers) who were visiting as part of a school trip (from England, if I recall correctly). One of them turned to his friends and said - "we only do this once a year, we should do it more often!". I was touched and impressed to hear this from young people.

In my area the stores are closed until noon on Remembrance Day.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    My town puts on a Veterans Day parade every year - very well attended.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Worth watching -
    Students from Halifax and Dartmouth staged a flash mob at the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market in remembrance of the many Canadian Veterans who have served Canada during times of war.
    Remembrance Flash Mob Halifax

vCash
    Thanks for sharing that, algonquin!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12