Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

It's Poppy season again!

So for those of you in Canada, go get your poppies! The old warriors are out there standing all day hoping we will buy one so give them a sale. It is for a good cause.

http://www.legion.ca/Poppy/campaign_e.cfm

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I just hope I find one with a clip-back this year. Last year I set a new record, losing my (first) stick-pin poppy within 30 minutes of buying it! When I bought a second one I secured it with a clip-back Canada flag pin -- but someone was telling me that you could actually get a poppy with with a clip-back centre.

vCash
    That brings back memories -- poppies were part of Veteran's Day (or Memorial Day?) when I was growing up back east, but I don't think I ever saw them in California or out here, at least not in the context of Veterans. Glad to hear Canada is keeping the tradition.

vCash
    Veterans Day; it's a tradition.

The plot of one of my favorite Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries,The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, revolves around a veteran who is not wearing a poppy on Veterans Day.

vCash
    I usually put a piece of tape on the back of mine and it stays forever. I have become a bit of an expert at making these things stay. hehehe

vCash
    I usually buy two, and after losing those, go back to the one from last year I managed to keep. But I also have an enamel one from the legion. It's really nice and my Dad got it for me.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    It's a Super-Remembrance Day. The moment of silence comes at 11:11:11:11.

It's almost bad etiquette here (Maritimes, Canada) to not have a poppy on your lapel this week.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I always pin mine on by using my Guardian Angel of Canada pin. A Vet saw that once and told me I couldn't have found a more approriate pin to use. I consider that to be a great compliment.

One more thing...I saw earlier tonight an ad for the Scholarship Fund that's been set up for the Children of those who have Fallen. It's called The 11 for 11 Campaign and plays on the donation of $11 dollars w/the date of Remembrance Day, November 11th.

Seeing the ad was made extra poignant as the song that was inspired by the people who turn out on The Highway of Heroes plays during it, it's probally the music video come to think of it, and knowing all of those people will be gathering to pay tribute again tomorrow. We lost a Soldier in Afghanistan a few days ago who was part of the group who are still there and part of the troops training the Afghans. IIRC the news said the Repatriation Ceremony will be happening at 10am at CFB Trenton.

As I said to Mom when the news broke, just when we all thought we wouldn't be hearing that sad news anymore w/the withdrawl during the Summer, it's a horrible reminder that not all of the Canadian Forces serving in Afghanistan have made it home safe and sound as of yet.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 11-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    I'll have my poppy when I fly to Florida later this week.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I didn't take a poppy, but I donated at the hotel when I was there for Skate Canada.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I always end up with a ton of poppies because even if I already have one, I feel guilty walking past people selling them without getting one.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I always end up with a ton of poppies because even if I already have one, I feel guilty walking past people selling them without getting one.
    That's how it is in the US on Memorial Day. There is no way I'm walking by a 90 year old war veteran and not putting something in his collection tin.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    While looking for something else on CTV Toronto's website last night, I found this...

CTV Toronto ~ Virtual poppy field to help Canadians remember

First I've heard of this website, but what an amazing idea.

Also...I don't know if the US site is doing this as well, but up here Ancestry.ca will be opening up their Canadian Military Records for free all this weekend. I took advantage of the offer from last year and was able to find my Great Uncle's, what we would now know as Enlistment, Records when he joined up for WWI. I'd love to do more digging this year to see if I can't find more of his and also the Records of my two Uncles who served in WWII.

What I'd really love to be able to do though, is find more about my Great Uncle's service record. Obviously I know about my Uncle Elwood, as he made it home, and my Uncle Les who was sadly killed in a training accident in England, but would still love to have copies of those records just for the Family Records. My Great Uncle Hugh though, is a different story.

I do know he fought and survivied the Battle of Vimy Ridge, but I only know that thanks Dad saying that to me when we were watching something about Vimy in the leadup to the 90th Anniversary on our History Channel a few years ago. It was the one on the carvings in the caves underneath the Ridge where the Troops had taken refuge in before the Battle. Some of those carvings are just jawdroppingly exquisite. Especially the Regimental Badges.

Anyway...At the end as the listing of the names of those who had either signed their work or had just carved their names is running past, Dad goes, "I wonder if my Uncle Hugh left his name there?" I replied w/, "Well, you never know Dad. There's got to be a way to find out if..." That's when my brain caught up w/what my ears had just heard, I did a doubletake at Dad and screeched, "WHAT did you just say!?!"

If we hadn't been watching that documentary though and Dad hadn't casually mentioned it, I would never have known I had a Great Uncle who fought in WWI, let alone at Vimy. That's how the Family Heritage can end up being lost so easily though.

Anyway...I just thought I'd mention about Ancestry.ca doing another Free Weekend to snoop through their site (what Mom calls it ), as it's a great chance to look up any records to add to anyone's Family Archives.

And I know this is the last place I need to say this, but...

Tomorrow morning at the 11th minute, of the 11th hour of the 11th day...Take those two minutes and not only remember, but say Thank You too.

vCash
    For Australians, they can find service records at The National Archives of Australia. I found the records of my grandfather, Private Horace Walter Franklin, 2/10 BTN 2 AIF there and it was a really interesting read.

We will remember them.

vCash
    I love watching Canadian TV online this time of year since all the anchors, commentators etc. wear poppies. Sometimes it's the little things you miss most being away.

Interesting also how the British poppies are different - I think CTV had a report from London and you could really tell.

vCash
    I know Lara. Their Poppies have more of a paper look to them and are flat instead of how ours look w/the raised petals and that velour/felt like on them. The British ones also have a leaf as well, which I always think looks nice. Or at least IMO.

vCash
    I don't know what to think about the blinged-out poppies in the UK. The Canadian poppies look so plain compared to these ones (but I do appreciate the simplicity of them).

vCash
    It is officially Rememberance Day here is Canada and most english speaking members of the Commonwealth. On the 11-11-11 of every year we pause to remember those who fought in wars past and present for our country. Here is a cute video of two Dieppe survivors and former POWs who were recently reunited after almost 70 years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/r...ars-later?bn=1

And here is a rendition of "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" according to the CBC it is an appropriate song for Rememberance Day so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psoTE...eature=related

vCash
    Lest we forget.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    That brings back memories -- poppies were part of Veteran's Day (or Memorial Day?) when I was growing up back east, but I don't think I ever saw them in California or out here, at least not in the context of Veterans. Glad to hear Canada is keeping the tradition.
    Poppies are sold and worn on Memorial Day in the US. Ours look more the British version.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast