Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 285
  1. #61
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    I didn't realize (or didn't remember) it was the 30th anniversary of SA (or whatever it was called when it first started) when Lake Placid last hosted it a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much discussion about it, as otherwise I would have at least understood why it was being held there.... so many hours away from any airport.

    It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.
    Lake Placid used to have a small airport (not too long ago), okay it was in Saranac Lake but close. Continental flew there a couple of times a day out of Albany or Boston on tiny regional carriers. I don't think there are any flights there anymore.

    There's also van/bus service to the Olympic training center in LP out of the Albany airport but they refuse to take anyone else even if the van is empty.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    .... I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid.
    They also had TWO Olympics. I'm all for another SkAmerica in Lake Placid!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    I didn't realize (or didn't remember) it was the 30th anniversary of SA (or whatever it was called when it first started) when Lake Placid last hosted it a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much discussion about it, as otherwise I would have at least understood why it was being held there.... so many hours away from any airport.

    It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.
    I would love to go to Lake Placid someday, but....

    For this event... it's not worth the cost/expense. (Although I admit after seeing the "quality" you get as "event one" on the circuit I doubt I am traveling to SA again anytime soon.)

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I would love to go to Lake Placid someday, but....

    For this event... it's not worth the cost/expense. (Although I admit after seeing the "quality" you get as "event one" on the circuit I doubt I am traveling to SA again anytime soon.)
    Totally agree. For most people who don't live near by Lake Placid, we can save the money and go to Worlds instead.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host Eagain. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.
    Skaters don't rent cars in lp, they simply just get drunk and steal them!

  6. #66
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,857
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    14593
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    They also had TWO Olympics. I'm all for another SkAmerica in Lake Placid!
    Yes, so...? Apparently you missed where I said the FIRST requirement for the host city (per the bid application) is an international airport. Hence my wondering how it ended up in LP a few seasons ago. The LOC or the USFS is responsible for getting the athletes and officials to the venue locations. That becomes more complicated and expensive, I would imagine, when people could be coming in to any of the NYC metro airports or Boston, or perhaps a more western NY airport or Hartford, CT.

    Having previously hosted Olympics or other skating event is definitely something they would consider in the venue and prior event history part of the application.

    And my original comment pertained to why LOCs were not bidding and the requests of the ISU/USFS in regards to location/hotels demands, etc.

    If Lake Placid was an easy drive, I'd be up for it as well. However, living in the midwest it would be a very long and expensive 2 or even 3 day trek. And regardless of how "convenient" it is to some posters, I seriously doubt whether the athletes, coaches, and officials consider it a convenient location.

    Quote Originally Posted by oleada
    Yes, it's all about me!
    I knew the USFS forgot something when writing up the application info!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The 1980 olys were a nightmare transportation wise, and probably one of the last olys held completely in the mts. Most recent olys seem to have the outdoor events in a remote location and the base and indoor stuff like skating in a city, although socci does seem like the middle of nowhere to me.

    Anyway, I'm sure an oly rink gets some points, as well as a town with experience, but I doubt the ex oly status counts for much as who cares if SA is close to good downhill slopes and gets plenty of natural snow in feb. apples and oranges.

  8. #68
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9501
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Union_Center

    Providence did a cheesefest at Dunkin Donuts centre, didn't it?
    Yes, in 04. There is a mall right by the arena with a nice food court and a Hilton across the street...plus other hotels nearby..

  9. #69
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,988
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Apparently you missed where I said the FIRST requirement for the host city (per the bid application) is an international airport. Hence my wondering how it ended up in LP a few seasons ago.
    I guess if only one place bids, and it doesn't have an international airport, that is how it winds up in a place without an international airport.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I guess if only one place bids, and it doesn't have an international airport, that is how it winds up in a place without an international airport.
    Did they even bid? Or did USFS have to go begging? Beggars can't be choosy!

  11. #71
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,687
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15340
    I keep thinking there will be an announcement in the thread
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    1,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    655
    I'm assuming no announcement has been made?

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You can fly to Lake PLacid it isn't hard. Cape Air has flights from Boston to Saranac Lake and then you take a taxi over to Lake Placid. I did it for Junior Nationals back in 2009. The planes are very small but if that doesn't bother you it was a gorgeous flight.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in a persistent lake effect band
    Posts
    893
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.

    I seem to recall reading more than a few skater's blogs about the lengthy train and/or bus rides to competition locations in Asia. And LP isn't a 4 hour drive from Albany or Syracuse. It was a 4 hour drive for me from Rochester AND.....


    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    The original name for Skate America was Flaming Leaves because it was held in Lake Placid on Columbus Day weekend, the height of foliage season tourism.
    that drive would be much nicer as compared to 2009 SA which was the 5th GP that year and it was past peak for fall foliage. I remember saying to my sister how beautiful our drive would have been if SA had been held on it's normal schedule.


    Quote Originally Posted by UDelpairs2012 View Post
    You can fly to Lake PLacid it isn't hard. Cape Air has flights from Boston to Saranac Lake and then you take a taxi over to Lake Placid. I did it for Junior Nationals back in 2009. The planes are very small but if that doesn't bother you it was a gorgeous flight.

    Getting to LP in October may be easier than in November because of the fall foliage - just guessing that probably there's more travel options like these flights available cause it'll still be "in season". Of course that probably means hotel rates would be higher too.

    On the plus side, LP has a lot of the things we all grumble about there not being in other venues, i.e, there were plenty of restaurants open after comps and boy oh boy, did that little village know we were there and were totally embracing of the skate fans. I'll be totally jealous of everyone who gets to go should it be assigned to LP again.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    541
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I vote for Detroit. Retro fit the Cobo arena. Maybe re visit the 'whack heard round the world' and people to buy tickets to 'guided tours' of 'what happened behind the curtain and all of that. It won't be an anniversary of the 1994 attacks, but let's get some broader media attention on the sport to get some butts in the seats for a Skate America shall we? Given all the skaters training the Detroit area, I'll bet the stands could at least look partly more full than usual just with the family and friends contingents. Otherwise, hosting this event to empty arenas is just plain embarrassing.

  16. #76
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1686
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I vote for Detroit. Retro fit the Cobo arena. Maybe re visit the 'whack heard round the world' and people to buy tickets to 'guided tours' of 'what happened behind the curtain and all of that. It won't be an anniversary of the 1994 attacks, but let's get some broader media attention on the sport to get some butts in the seats for a Skate America shall we? Given all the skaters training the Detroit area, I'll bet the stands could at least look partly more full than usual just with the family and friends contingents. Otherwise, hosting this event to empty arenas is just plain embarrassing.
    I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1475
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other.
    It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.

  18. #78
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1686
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.
    From your mouth to the ISU's ears!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

  19. #79
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    14,925
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15443
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I'd be all about Detroit, but Skate Canada is in Windsor next year, so I don't think they'll put two international events within a few miles of each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    It would make expenses for the ISU a lot cheaper-- those who have to go to every event could take a bus instead of a plane.
    Given the dire economic straights of the Detroit area, for the event to be successful it would have to draw on Canadian fans, and with SC in Windsor, I'd wonder whether the target audience might not already be committed to SC. So while it might be great for the ISU, I don't think it would end up being great for USFS or the LOC.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  20. #80
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,988
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Any rumors about bidders? (trying to plan this year's vacations).
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •