Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    we should be grateful if anyone bids on it noting this years attendance
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    We'll be lucky if ANY city, ANYWHERE in the US will bid on SA. All I ask for is an easy airport to fly into, hotels close to arena and couple of restaurants. I'm only there for the skating.

I don't have any idea what is required to bid for the event, but there must be some reason for the lack of bids from many of the cities everyone mentions as ideal locations. Does anyone know?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    PDF documents from the USFS site:
    2012 Skate America Bid Information (8 pages)
    Original bid timeline (outdated now):
    Week of August 15, 2011 RFP distributed
    Sept. 9, 2011 Response to RFP due to U.S. Figure Skating
    Sept. 12-30, 2011 U.S. Figure Skating reviews proposals to host and will visit finalists for site review
    Oct. 6, 2011 U.S. Figure Skating confirms site for 2012 Skate America
    2012 Skate America Bid Application & Budget Forms (18 pages)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    we should be grateful if anyone bids on it noting this years attendance
    this, and what would happen in the case that no one did bid on it? is it just assigned or is the event cancelled?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenji124 View Post
    this, and what would happen in the case that no one did bid on it? is it just assigned or is the event cancelled?
    When similar stuff has happened with Regionals, USFS usually contacts a club that has hosted before and could do a good job and convinces/begs them to take it on.

If that's what SA 2012 comes to (begging a former host city), I can foresee it being in Lake Placid. Please, no.....

vCash
    It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel and it only takes about 25 minutes to get to Hershey from Harrisburg International Airport. The event would draw folks from New York, Philly, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and NoVa. It could be a fantastic event.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I don't think a local skate club is needed as a sponsor for SA. It's an ISU event, so the USFSA is considered the LOC, I think.
    I thought that an LOC had to apply to USFS for it - doesn't have to be a skate club, but it can be or a skate club can be part of the LOC. I don't think lots of sports promoters or arenas will be stepping up without urging from a skate club if they saw the attendance this year, unless they have a strong skating base in the area like Lake Placid or they have done it before.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Based on the ISU/USFSA demands, it is no wonder no LOCs are lining up to bid on Skate America.

Considering one of the things they ask for is a local airport (preferably with direct international flights), I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel and it only takes about 25 minutes to get to Hershey from Harrisburg International Airport. The event would draw folks from New York, Philly, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and NoVa. It could be a fantastic event.
    It wouldn't draw me from NY, I can tell you that. Atlantic City, though - I'd be happy to hop on the gambling bus for another trip down there.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    It's perplexing to me (as a west coaster) why Hershey doesn't get SA. I know that they have applied for events in the past. It would be a nice event for the skaters-- the Hershey Hotel could be the official hotel...
    For 2012, Hilton is again the title sponsor, so a Hilton hotel would have to be the official hotel. (At least that is how I read the USFS application.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    How about:

Providence RI
    Worcester MA
    Norfolk VA
    Albany NY
    Hershey PA
    Charlotte NC

I think all of those have arenas that house minor league hockey. Do they have skate club sponsors?

I'd do Hartford, Pittsburgh, Lake Placid, or Reading again too. Maybe I will finally see the Pagoda.
    Springfield, ma did SA back in 95 iirc.
    What venue is in Albany?
    Im not sure why Prov doesn't get anymore events. Was it usfs or prov that said "never again!" ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Considering one of the things they ask for is a local airport (preferably with direct international flights), I don't know how the event ever ended up in Lake Placid.
    sometimes I'm too dumb to know when people r being sarcastic. Any who, it was the 30 year anniversary of the very first event which took place in lp before it even got slapped with the SA name, so you'd really have to kinda a dick to deny them. Then again, it's usfs.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    sometimes I'm too dumb to know when people r being sarcastic. Any who, it was the 30 year anniversary of the very first event which took place in lp before it even got slapped with the SA name, so you'd really have to kinda a dick to deny them. Then again, it's usfs.
    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

I didn't realize (or didn't remember) it was the 30th anniversary of SA (or whatever it was called when it first started) when Lake Placid last hosted it a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much discussion about it, as otherwise I would have at least understood why it was being held there.... so many hours away from any airport.

It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    What venue is in Albany?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Union_Center

Providence did a cheesefest at Dunkin Donuts centre, didn't it?

vCash
    If this event had a $2,000,000 "spend" for Ontario I would be beyond shocked.

Reading that application packet really was amazing. They want the arena to just be donated with basically no real ablity to make any money. To me that's just going to be tough.
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 10-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post

It seems some posters here are quite anxious to see Lake Placid as the host again. For the sake of the athletes/coaches and many people who don't want to have to rent a car and/or take a four-hour bus ride from a major city to get there... I hope it isn't. Sorry.
    I don't care if it's LP, or Middle of nowhere, NY as long as I can drive to it Yes, it's all about me
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Oooh, this! Indy is SO easy to navigate!
    ^ This. Plus I can drive there.

vCash
    The original name for Skate America was Flaming Leaves because it was held in Lake Placid on Columbus Day weekend, the height of foliage season tourism.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I don't care if it's LP, or Middle of nowhere, NY as long as I can drive to it Yes, it's all about me
    I hear you. I went to SA in Lake Placid and it's the only event I've been able to go to in what seems like years. Give us something in the Northeast please! By the way, I loved Lake Placid SA. Athletes have somehow managed to get to LP for decades, so I'm sure they'd find a way.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Same here. I like to avoid the airports if possible. Not afraid of flying, just sick of the airport hassle.

I drove from DC to NYC, stayed with a friend, then NYC to LP the next day. Great outlet shopping along the way. Loved it.

Then for Nationals, the same friend took the train from NYC to DC, stayed overnight with me, and we drove to Greensboro the next day.

We are hoping for an SA roadtrip in 2012.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast