Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I(I admit the "wisdom" of "let's fly to Boston for a Chairty show" in this scheduled seems strange to me. I know it's for a "good cause" but trying to pretend "I can do everything I have always done" seems strange)
    It doesn't seem strange to me. People want to have it all and Rachael is used to having it all so why should she have the foresight to know it won't work in college (assuming it doesn't... it's kind of early in the season for me to be so sure she won't figure it out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Like I said, it all rang untrue when Tara Modlin would promote her as this AP gal who's going for pre-med or engineering and it made no sense. Well, because it apparently didn't, she didn't AP out of those classes.
    That doesn't mean she didn't take AP courses in HS. Different HS's do it differently. Some have Honors level classes. Some have "AP" classes that are designed to teach you what you need to know to pass the AP exam. Some have both and some have neither. Just because you took the AP class in HS doesn't mean you have to take the AP exam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Just because you took the AP class in HS doesn't mean you have to take the AP exam.
    A bunch of my friends in college did this during senior year of high school. You take the AP class to become competitive enough to get into the college. Then, knowing that the college only gives you credit for two 5 scores anyway, don't take the AP exam at the end of the class. By May of senior year, the college has already accepted you and doesn't care about that year's AP scores. With no test scores for those classes, they can't place you into higher level courses and you still get to take the intro chem/bio classes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Rachael is a very smart and a very ambitious young woman. I have nothing but admiration for someone attempting a task as challenging as attending an elite university full time, taking very challenging courses and attempting to compete on elite level. That takes guts to even try.

However, even smart people make mistakes. I was willing to believe that it's possible because Rachael seems so incredibly determined, although I had doubts. It appears, the experiment is not working as expected. Question is, what has Rachael learned from the SC experience, as she said she did? What exactly was the lesson?

Far more gifted skaters, like Kwan for instance had tried the college/elite skating thing. And Kwan had oodles more of natural talent. She also had common sense, as she knew that she could always go to college but she could not always skate. So college went on the back burner. And look at MK now--one of the most accomplished skating careers in history and a budding career in diplomacy, just like she wanted. She has it all by being smart about timing and not spreading herself thin.

As far as skating goes, Rachael's only natural talent was her fighting spirit and perseverance. What does she have to offer the sport at this point of her career? And how realistic are her expectations of a medal in Sochi, no less, while being a full time bio-engineering student at Stanford, no less? This is a skater who usually has a hard time getting to an international podium when clean. What gives?

If she were to stay competitive, she'd have to either postpone or minimize Stanford and rework her skating, her basics, her conditioning, carriage (which means a lot of ballet lessons) and last but not least, her packaging. All of this takes total commitment, meaning full time.

She is an intelligent and determined young woman but I wonder what decision, if any, will she make now. It seems obvious to the most casual observer that a decision is in order.
    Everyone, this was ONE competition, very early in the season, and Rachael was by no means the only skater who looked a little rusty. I was disappointed for her also, but why don't we wait for her next competition (TEB?) or even Nationals to see how it's all going to shake out for her.

vCash
    I feel bad for Rachael. Everyone has hyped her for so long as "super-student/super-skater," she may have felt a lot of pressure to keep that reputation going.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    It's rather unusual for any skater to participate in a Disson show in between Grand Prix events, never mind one who is enrolled as a full-time college student. Rachael may just be taking on too many shows/appearances/media obligations this year. Her desire to make some money from skating is completely understandable, but the timing of some of these activities just does not seem good.

The past five months or so have been such a whirlwind for her. Worlds ended late, she had to heal her injury, she skated in shows, she and her family moved out of their home to another state, she had to arrange a new training setup in a new state with new coaches... The first month of college can be overwhelming enough without all of these other events happening in her life. I don't think Rachael should feel alarmed if things have not gone so well lately in terms of her skating preparation. It's possible she will get better acclimated to her schedule in the upcoming weeks. She's only been doing this for a little more than a month. But she really may need to cut back on some of the excess activities. Even something as simple as the Icenetwork blog at Skate Canada-- why was she trying to do that? Use that time to work on calculus homework or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    Everyone, this was ONE competition, very early in the season, and Rachael was by no means the only skater who looked a little rusty. I was disappointed for her also, but why don't we wait for her next competition (TEB?) or even Nationals to see how it's all going to shake out for her.
    Rachael's other GP event is Rostelecom. I hope she gets things sorted out by then; she had so many problems in the LP this weekend that I couldn't really tell if Firebird was a program that could actually work for her.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I didn't realize she was doing shows in between GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Rachael's other GP event is Rostelecom. I hope she gets things sorted out by then; she had so many problems in the LP this weekend that I couldn't really tell if Firebird was a program that could actually work for her.
    I think Firebird is not a bad program for her. She needs to take out the "look, I am trying to be sexy but look goofy instead" moves, work full time on all the elements of her skating that need work (a lot of them!) but I doubt it will happen with all the stuff she's got going on. The least she could do is lose those incredibly unflattering dresses. She couldn't pick worse dresses for her if she tried. She needs to go the way of Slutskaya who had a similar body type although IIRC, Irina was more muscular.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    Except it hasn't been. It's been over two years since Rachael has given a "Rachael" performance. That was at 2009 Skate Am. She was solid, steady Rachael and that was it. Now she's not solid, not steady, but still typical Rachael. No improvement to her skills or presentation, just worse.

What I don't get is that so many athletes know when they are DNA-ing out of a sport or activity. Bodies change, reflexes get slower, whatever. There is no future for Rachael, unless it is ONLY for her enjoyment. And if she only skates for the joy of it, and places last in all her competitions, then I'll clap for her and encourage her. But it seems that she needs to take school as priority and excel in that now. YMMV

vCash
    I didn't realize she was doing shows in between GP.

I think Firebird is not a bad program for her. She needs to take out the "look, I am trying to be sexy but look goofy instead" moves, work full time on all the elements of her skating that need work (a lot of them!) but I doubt it will happen with all the stuff she's got going on. The least she could do is lose those incredibly unflattering dresses. She couldn't pick worse dresses for her if she tried. She needs to go the way of Slutskaya who had a similar body type although IIRC, Irina was more muscular.
    I have to agree. Sexy does not work for Flatt, and the costumes with the sweetheart necklines have to go. She's petite and muscular and has a short neck, so a halter top or anything else with a V-neck will elongate her. And no more pastels or yellows. Dark colors or saturated jewel tones, please.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I know this has been hashed out, but let me explain a few things about the AP system and some major changes which have cropped up even during the last decade.

The AP exams are created by the College Board (the business which makes and sells the SAT) and brought to schools at the high school's discretion. Some high schools offer no APs; others offer tons. Mine offered about 12 of over 30 (I think there are 36).

At the end of the year, students have the option to pay to take the AP exam, a test which will give them a numerical score from 1-5 to determine their competence in the subject. These tests technically cost $82. My school charged more to pay for the necessary administrative staff; some of my friends went to charter schools where APs were free for any interested student. Some schools require that every student enrolled in the AP class take the corresponding exam, but there is no College Board requirement that they do so.

After the exam, the student receives a score in July. Technically, scores of 3-5 are considered passing, but not every college views it that way. My school only takes 4's and 5's, so I didn't get all the credit I could have had I gone to my second-choice school (where 3's are fine).

With that knowledge, I'm studying the chart of Stanford's AP credit. Rachael took 7 exams (according to news articles I've read): Biology, Chemistry, Physics (B or C?), French Language, English Language, English Literature and Calculus BC. There has never been a news article talking about her perfect 5's. Heck, maybe she got perfect 3's. I don't know.

Assuming that she got a 4 on French (which gives exemption from Foreign Language, but not credit) and a mix of 3's, 4's and 5's, she'd still only be able to obtain credit for Calc, Chem and Physics. The English classes don't count.

So I doubt she was being misrepresented as an AP student with potential to be a doctor or an engineer. "APing out" is not the same at every school.

Also, side note on the sucky side of AP credit: I'm a first-semester freshman who came in with 20 transfer units. I came in declared as a comm major (which is not in my school's Letters, Arts and Sciences) and decided not to pursue comm. I'm undecided (really, undeclared: I know what I'm going to be, but I'm hesitant to declare a major), and if I major in something in Letters, Arts and Sciences, I will never be able to take more than about 2 electives because of a dumb elective credit policy at my school. All those AP units became elective units and screwed me out of my chance to have some fun. Plus, I'll be a sophomore in a few weeks. I just got here!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have to agree. Sexy does not work for Flatt, and the costumes with the sweetheart necklines have to go. She's petite and muscular and has a short neck, so a halter top or anything else with a V-neck will elongate her. And no more pastels or yellows. Dark colors or saturated jewel tones, please.
    An empire waist and long sleeves would help too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    You read my mind. I was just thinking about editing my post to include the empire waist and long sleeves. Spooky.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You read my mind. I was just thinking about editing my post to include the empire waist and long sleeves. Spooky.
    Great minds and all that.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm not sure about the empire waist. That puts a horizontal line right around under the bust line ... might not be a good idea. I think a deep sharp V in both the front and the back with long tapered sleeves would probably work the best. I also think the skirt needs to be slightly longer in the back than the front and not completely straight but not really full. The fabric need to drape well so the skirt hangs nicely.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I'm not sure about the empire waist. That puts a horizontal line right around under the bust line ... might not be a good idea.
    An empire waist with a short skirt creates a longer leg line. IMO the strapless, sweetheart necklines create a horizontal line that makes Rachael look wider and bulkier than she actually is. Alternately, she could go for the wrap-dress. That looks good on most women, regardless of body shape.
    Last edited by Nomad; 10-31-2011 at 04:19 AM.

vCash
    ITA!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    An empire waist with a short skirt creates a longer leg line. IMO the strapless, sweetheart necklines create a horizontal line that makes Rachael look wider and bulkier than she actually is. Alternately, she could go for the wrap-dress. That looks good on most women, regardless of body shape.
    Well, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I do completely agree about the sweetheart neckline though. I think a lot of things done to "create a longer leg line" just end up looking like you are trying to create a longer leg line without really helping too much. IMHO darker tights - no alive person has that grey colour of skin - in a very sheer micro fiber that go into her boots would help her leg line more. (Mondor has a great line of performance dance tights.) Another problem I see with an empire waist is the neckline. Rachael doesn't have a particularly long neck and her shoulders are slightly rounded. The scooped neck that traditionally goes with the empire waist is not going to help her neckline at all. I'm wondering if you could do a deep V line that cuts down through a well fitted empire waist .... hmm I'll have to think about that a bit.

Now before people get their knickers in a twist, I'm not suggesting there is any wrong with Rachael. IMHO she is a very attractive woman. I like to think I'm fairly attractive, but there are still colours and lines that I don't wear because they aren't flattering on me. I'm looking at this more from a What Not To Wear angle. Kind of an academic exercise because I highly doubt Rachael has the time to read here anyway.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I also think a handkerchief hem or some other kind of uneven hem would be good. She needs to elongate and to slim down her line--her current dresses do the opposite. I also think she should try black. Blondes look great in black IMO.

Also, a lot of people don't like her current haircut, which I don't mind but if I were to recommend a hairstyle, I'd go back to this: http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0...lattKC-low.jpg

Imagine this hair, a black dress with long sleeves, either a deep V or empire waist, gently uneven hemline, some strategically placed sparkles, clever, classy make up and we'd have a brand new Rachael.

Gawd, I love make-overs.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-31-2011 at 05:24 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    A handkerchief hem might work well. I love them and convinced my dd to try one on. She has long skinny legs and it made her look like a stork! Really not great! I think black would work provided there was lots of sparkle.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Wow. Of course, it's always reported that she's very smart but I always view reputed celebrity smarts with a grain of salt. Good for her. Every part of 'computational mathematical engineering' sounds like something I would not enjoy taking as a class.
    It's Stanford. My sister went there and ended up taking TWO senior seminars while only a sophomore. That is how they roll.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    aren't her parents engineers? for some reason I imagine that Rachael grew up with math and science bandied about the house like family lore.
    My parents were both engineers and it only turned me off it because my dad would try to help us with basic algebra homework by bringing up calculus. Neither my sister nor I are engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Does Stanford even let students use AP credit for required coursework? I got a 5 on the lit/composition AP test many years ago. My small private liberal arts college gave me three hours of credit then proceeded to still make me take all the required English courses for the major. In every area, they would stick three hours on your transcript, but they didn't let you skip coursework because of it. My alma mater is a strong school regionally and slightly selective, but not on the level of Stanford. So it wouldn't surprise me if any AP credit she earned merely got slapped on her transcript as hours and she still has to do coursework. If they accept it at all.
    I don't think they do. I went to a small liberal arts college (which is very well-ranked, although not as renowned as the Ivies, Caltech, or Stanford) and we weren't allowed to use AP credits for required coursework. It only counted as "hours" but I think most of us still ended up taking a full courseload all 16 semesters anyway.

Rachael is a very smart and a very ambitious young woman. I have nothing but admiration for someone attempting a task as challenging as attending an elite university full time, taking very challenging courses and attempting to compete on elite level. That takes guts to even try.

However, even smart people make mistakes. I was willing to believe that it's possible because Rachael seems so incredibly determined, although I had doubts. It appears, the experiment is not working as expected. Question is, what has Rachael learned from the SC experience, as she said she did? What exactly was the lesson?

Far more gifted skaters, like Kwan for instance had tried the college/elite skating thing. And Kwan had oodles more of natural talent. She also had common sense, as she knew that she could always go to college but she could not always skate. So college went on the back burner. And look at MK now--one of the most accomplished skating careers in history and a budding career in diplomacy, just like she wanted. She has it all by being smart about timing and not spreading herself thin.

As far as skating goes, Rachael's only natural talent was her fighting spirit and perseverance. What does she have to offer the sport at this point of her career? And how realistic are her expectations of a medal in Sochi, no less, while being a full time bio-engineering student at Stanford, no less? This is a skater who usually has a hard time getting to an international podium when clean. What gives?

If she were to stay competitive, she'd have to either postpone or minimize Stanford and rework her skating, her basics, her conditioning, carriage (which means a lot of ballet lessons) and last but not least, her packaging. All of this takes total commitment, meaning full time.

She is an intelligent and determined young woman but I wonder what decision, if any, will she make now. It seems obvious to the most casual observer that a decision is in order.
    Completely agree. Knowing my sister and her fellow Stanford grads (read: headstrong and stubborn ), it will likely take some time for Rachael to realize that she is physically unable to do it all, but I think she'll eventually come around. It's her choice, at this point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast