Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I also think a handkerchief hem or some other kind of uneven hem would be good. She needs to elongate and to slim down her line--her current dresses do the opposite. I also think she should try black. Blondes look great in black IMO.

Also, a lot of people don't like her current haircut, which I don't mind but if I were to recommend a hairstyle, I'd go back to this: http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0...lattKC-low.jpg

Imagine this hair, a black dress with long sleeves, either a deep V or empire waist, gently uneven hemline, some strategically placed sparkles, clever, classy make up and we'd have a brand new Rachael.

Gawd, I love make-overs.
    Funny, my BF worked in fashion. I asked him about Flatt (He's a very casual fan who likes skating [far below the level of an FSUer ] and knows who Flatt is). He said Flatt should stick to deep colors - black, navy blue, maybe even a deep burgundy would work, style her hair 'outward' a bit to balance her round face. I also think she'd do well with white boots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    There's no reason why Rachael can't have a Stanford education after she gives up skating. Or frankly she's young enough (Look at Kostner) where maybe she could go back after college. What I don't know if she can do is both Stanford full time and full time competitive skating Well at the same time. Both require dedication hard work.
    It is as the old saying goes-it's hard to serve two masters. Both require full or near full time dedication. Elite sports isn't usually a part time job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19216527Strange that Stanford never built an ice rink.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Why would Stanford build an ice rink? It's not like they have tons of elite ice skaters going there every year and the Redwood City rink is a 20 min. drive from campus.
    The main reason why universities build ice rinks is to have a place for their ice hockey team to skate. As far as I know, there isn't an NCAA ice hockey team west of the Rocky Mountains.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The main reason why universities build ice rinks is to have a place for their ice hockey team to skate. As far as I know, there isn't an NCAA ice hockey team west of the Rocky Mountains.
    Yes, it's a peeve of mine. Mini Ice plays hockey and that's only going to be attractive to schools on the East Coast.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yes, it's a peeve of mine. Mini Ice plays hockey and that's only going to be attractive to schools on the East Coast.
    The sister who's going with me to Nats is sad about this, too (she's a hockey enthusiast), but she's gotten super-active in our school's hockey program and writes about it for our paper.

Aside: our school has a cheer squad for the ice hockey team. The squad is all figure skaters.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post

Aside: our school has a cheer squad for the ice hockey team. The squad is all figure skaters.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I agree Rachael could look really stunning in a black dress with long sleeves, but I don't think it would go with either of her programs this year. EOE suggests something pastel, and Firebird practically mandates red (unless she wants to go for the Evan Lysacek "grilled bird" look!)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I have just watched Rachael's SP from SC. I must say there was way more energy in it than in Mirai's. She obviously really loves to skate and is enjoying performing for the crowd. I also like the colour of her dress, but I think it would be more flattering in a different cut.

I hope she can work out what she really wants and in 10 years is happy with her decisions. It is a tough spot to be in.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I have just watched Rachael's SP from SC. I must say there was way more energy in it than in Mirai's. She obviously really loves to skate and is enjoying performing for the crowd. I also like the colour of her dress, but I think it would be more flattering in a different cut.

I hope she can work out what she really wants and in 10 years is happy with her decisions. It is a tough spot to be in.
    I hope she can, too.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    That is ALL kinds of awesome!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I agree Rachael could look really stunning in a black dress with long sleeves, but I don't think it would go with either of her programs this year. EOE suggests something pastel, and Firebird practically mandates red (unless she wants to go for the Evan Lysacek "grilled bird" look!)
    That is true, the black wouldn't go. East of Eden could probably a dark forest green though with long sleeves. Firebird could be mostly burgundy with some orange trim and sparkles.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Eys, that's true; those could work. I love dark forest green in particular.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Eys, that's true; those could work. I love dark forest green in particular.
    And I think it would look good on Rachael.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    A mostly Black could like work for firebird. If she just has splashes of color like in Sasha Cohen's 2002-2003 main Malaguena dress.

And didn't Michelle Kwan have of a blackish EOE dress? Could be remembering wrong though >.<

vCash
    I guess I have to give Rachael credit for an early competition SC 10/28 in a year where she didn't even get her new coaches until probably mid September. I can only hope that there will be improvement.

I have always wanted Rachael to skate in dark colors, I wish I could find her in a black skating dress that I saw this past spring (although it was a few years old maybe).

I also would like to tone down her hair. So many people put gold or reddish blonde highlights in their medium hair when ash blonde would be so much better for the complexion. She needs to color her hair back to its original color, then add just a few lighter, not gold and not red, highlights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Kind of an academic exercise because I highly doubt Rachael has the time to read here anyway.
    I HOPE she doesn't read here!!!!

Also, a lot of people don't like her current haircut, which I don't mind but if I were to recommend a hairstyle, I'd go back to this: http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0...lattKC-low.jpg
    Geez....look how HAPPY she looked just, what, 3 years ago? Suddenly I don't remember seeing her look that way in quite some time.

vCash
    I saw Rachael at Skate Canada. She looked absolutely amazing in the short, happy and effortless. I have seen her skate live before and she is faster and much more measured now. And the dress is lovely in person! Her PCS were a joke. I have no idea what went wrong in the free. I don't think she does either. She really shut down emotionally after failing the first couple of jumps. However, I think that if she can perform her free skate like she performed her short program, she should have no issues getting back on the world team or winning medals internationally.

vCash
    Anyone watch "Caste"? I don't, but happened to catch part of an episode two weeks ago. I couldn't believe how much I thought Molly Quinn and Rachael look alike:

http://www.tv.com/people/molly-quinn...23035&grti=104

It got me to thinking that if Rachael could find a great stylist and maybe experiment with some different hair styles, colors, and makeup, she could completely re-make herself and be a total knockout. The look in the Firebird FS was not good, what with the plastered down hair and eyeliner coming out from the corners of the eyes. I agree that she needs to go back to longer hair, but I also wasn't thrilled with how she looked with the slicked-back bun in the old days, either. I thought she looked her best when she did the half-ponytail thing for an exhibition number.

And please, can we get her some sleeves?! These new costumes are less flattering than last year's.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345