Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mexico

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions people.

We're in Los Alamos right now, deciding if we can make the run to Chaco Canyon. We've been told that there was a flash flood back in Nov. and the road is even worse than usual. Not that we couldn't handle it, it's the amount of time I guess it's taking to get there right now. So, we'll think about it, but it's probably not going to happen and that's too bad. We ate at a place called the Hills Diner, which is a take on an old fashioned diner. The burgers were great, way too much food. And it makes it's own desserts which looked very good as I watched a few of them being served. (Texas funeral cake and banana cream pie). Good food.

But we have made it to Taos, Bandelier Canyon, all of the places in Santa Fe. Loved La Fonda and the Loretto hotel and church, plus seeing Saint Francis is pretty amazing.

Did go to the Chuck Jones gallery, Georgia O'Keefe, etc.

We've been a lot of places in NA, still many more to go, but have loved the landscape of NM, the people and the hospitality. I'd visit NM again. My only beef is one that I also have with any mountainous area, dayum it is dry. I'm always waking up about 3 in the morning thirsting to death. Oh well......
    I'm so glad you are enjoying NM. I agree with the person who said eating at Tomasita's is a must. I love the Chapel of Loretto. If you are a history buff, spend some time at The Palace of the Governors. Fascinating!
    I hope you have time to see some things in Albuqueruqe as well.
    Yes, it is dry in NM right now. We are in a pretty bad drought.

vCash
    Thanks for all the suggestions people.

We're in Los Alamos right now, deciding if we can make the run to Chaco Canyon. We've been told that there was a flash flood back in Nov. and the road is even worse than usual. Not that we couldn't handle it, it's the amount of time I guess it's taking to get there right now. So, we'll think about it, but it's probably not going to happen and that's too bad.
    Make it if you can, sacrifice other stops if you have to.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I was born in Roswell and lived in Albuquerque for the first few years of my life. Would love to go back. One the prettiest places on earth.

vCash
    Well, the weather forecast turned us away. No, not the snow, we could deal with that. There were wind warnings and I would like to be able to see Chaco in good circumstances. Oh well, a good excuse to come back.

We're touring around Albuequerque area, we did the old town yesterday afternoon. The scenery is stunning. I always take some pictures when we travel, but I've surpassed the amount I usually take by quite a few. And I"ll probably take more today.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Well, the weather forecast turned us away. No, not the snow, we could deal with that. There were wind warnings and I would like to be able to see Chaco in good circumstances. Oh well, a good excuse to come back.

We're touring around Albuequerque area, we did the old town yesterday afternoon. The scenery is stunning. I always take some pictures when we travel, but I've surpassed the amount I usually take by quite a few. And I"ll probably take more today.
    Did you ride the tram?
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Schedule another trip and visit Chaco and Carlsbad Caverns. If you didn't get a chance to this last time then visit a farmer's market or stand. Very few things match pinons, chicos and green chilies.

vCash
    Nope, didn't ride the tram as it was pretty windy. The wind speed was about 50 mph so we gave it a pass. But we did drive to Santa Rosa just to get an idea of what the southeast towards Amarillo was like. Plus my so is into old cars and there is a car museum in Santa Rosa. Great old cars, if you're interested there is a gorgeous 1964 tan colored convertible mustang for about $80K you can buy.

The tram would have given us a great view of the area, and we had meant to do it, but like Chaco it didn't seem to in the cards this time. It's been a blast, we've enjoyed NM.

vCash
    Today was not the day to ride the Tram. lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12